What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Bird - $500 000 for 3 years

Since 73

First Grade
Darren Mapp.
Just tell me this...
The Queensland scout who spotted, and suggested we sign mapp - why didn't he notice Inglis a couple of years ago?

Frenzy.

Immortal
Surely said:
If it wasnt for the lengthy suspensions and off field antis he probably would have got more than 80k on his last contract.

When i compare bird to mapp, 170k is cheap.

Depends on what we each believe Mapp is on. I don't believe the $200k-$200k+ figures bandied about on him. Not after finding out Craig Stapleton is only on $37,500 at Penrith.

Quigs

Immortal
0-top5.jpg

Was it a contract Bird signed or was it an AWA ???

We can always invoke the productivity clause in the future if things dont work out.

Cheers
Quigs

jc155776

Coach
Frenzy. said:
I'm pretty sure Vags was signed for $1mill over 4 years Since 73. That'd make it more like $330k a year. I also think he is getting one of the $50k "star" player payments this year. Noddy the other.

Did you pass maths Frenzy? 1 million over 4 years is 250k a year. Typo I think on your behalf? Please say it was.

Frenzy.

Immortal
jc155776 said:
Did you pass maths Frenzy? 1 million over 4 years is 250k a year. Typo I think on your behalf? Please say it was.

Yep typo. Was a 3 year contract.

Inferno

Coach
Frenzy. said:
Depends on what we each believe Mapp is on. I don't believe the $200k-$200k+ figures bandied about on him. Not after finding out Craig Stapleton is only on $37,500 at Penrith.

220 000 was the figure quoted on the official Broncos website.

I'd email the club for answers but doubt I'd get a response. They'd probably be a bit hesitant to discuss player wages.

White Poiner

Coach
To much for a player that has not been consistantly good.. for even a year.

It is a risk.. But we need to take them because bird has shown something in the last few weeks.. with bailey gone we need a new 2nd rower.

I would of done the same.

!fullback!

Juniors
Just been told from a good source that the sharks are going to offer Bird a new contract for the nct 3 yrs worth $500 000

What does everyone think about this, i dont even think its enough, hes playing better than 150 odd a year

what u rekon?
so does that mean darren mapp gets more than greg bird :lol:

imasharkie

Coach
Has he been signed or is it speculation.

Definetly worth the money if we sign him for the $500k.

And he will be captain of Cronulla in the future.

Matter of fact it wouldn't surprise me that he will be appointed captain in 2007.

Nick Nack Paddy Wack

Uncle just dropped the ball.

As for everyone else, how could 167K possibly be considered a "bargain"?!

Not just for Bird, but for most - that's a pretty decent f**kin whack!

DJDL

Bench
Any "established" first grade player would be on somewherre around 150k.
Bird has 60 games and is on a major upward spiral improvement-wise.
I think they got it about right.

PHaTMaN

Juniors
Figure sounds about right to me, with interest from other clubs I thought we might have to pay him a little bit more to stay, its a bit of a gamble, but then again, so is signing anyone.

imasharkie

Coach
If we show players from other clubs that we're serious about playing footy and winning it should give us more bargaining power. Thats why the retention of Birdie and Thommo is really important for us to get a couple of goodies to help us win that elusive first prize.

We need a couple of really good backs( tonga and webster) would be great to complement our strong forward pack(probably the best in the NRL atm). So we have to keep our current forward pack.

imasharkie said:
If we show players from other clubs that we're serious about playing footy and winning it should give us more bargaining power. Thats why the retention of Birdie and Thommo is really important for us to get a couple of goodies to help us win that elusive first prize.

We need a couple of really good backs( tonga and webster) would be great to complement our strong forward pack(probably the best in the NRL atm). So we have to keep our current forward pack.

Exactly Ima. The two centres mentioned would go a long way to helping us with the silverware - provided they get the ball.

Surely

Post Whore
we have had the best centre pairing in the comp during a couple of periods in the past and never got the prize.

What makes u think tonga and webster could do it !

spider

Coach
Greg has a bad rep at the judiciary - and prone to the odd injury.......$150k is plenty for him.

Latest posts