What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Bird charged and released by Sharks

ibeme

First Grade
If it comes out Greg did not do it or it was a accident and she does not want to go through with it then I would assume Greg stays.

As I said before, if he's made false accusations against his mate, I'm certain that there are charges attached to that regardless of whether his gf goes ahead with charges or not.

Perverting the cause of justice. Providing false information to police. Something like that. That should be enough if the club wants to use it.

sass

Juniors
If she decides not to press charges their will be big question marks over the whole affair, both the NRL and the Sharks will be placed in a bind, legally they cant stop Bird from playing if their are no charges for him to defend but the mud will do plenty of damage to their image.

I'm no criminal lawyer but we don't need a victim to necessarily want charges laid for them to be brought before a nsw court.

and I'm guessing that if they did proceed, they would be able to bring in the neighbour's evidence of what both she and bird said (despite being hearsay) because it contradicts what they've said later on.

ANYWAY.

the only point I came in here to make was that it's completely disgusting - the whole situation. whether it was bird or someone else or an accident, the thought of being glassed and almost losing an eye makes me feel sick. poor woman.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Both Dane Tilse and Todd Carney have been deregistered when they weren't actually formally charged by the police. There is certainly precedent for the NRL to kick him out for a year.

mik01

Juniors
I'm no criminal lawyer but we don't need a victim to necessarily want charges laid for them to be brought before a nsw court.

and I'm guessing that if they did proceed, they would be able to bring in the neighbour's evidence of what both she and bird said (despite being hearsay) because it contradicts what they've said later on.

ANYWAY.

the only point I came in here to make was that it's completely disgusting - the whole situation. whether it was bird or someone else or an accident, the thought of being glassed and almost losing an eye makes me feel sick. poor woman.

overhearing someone admitting to a crime or representing something and testifying in court is not hearsay.
if someone told the neighbour that they overheard Bird and his GF talking about it, and the neighbour tells - thats hearsay and cannot be used in court.

but yep - I agree. disgusting, despicable, grubbish. get rid of him out of RL

badav

Bench
If she decides not to press charges their will be big question marks over the whole affair, both the NRL and the Sharks will be placed in a bind, legally they cant stop Bird from playing if their are no charges for him to defend but the mud will do plenty of damage to their image. If it goes down this track it will be interesting to see if he is pushed out to ESL or yawnion to take some heat off the Sharks and the NRL. This will not be the first time their has been big question marks over NRL clubs or player agents being involved in these matters

Its not a matter of whether she decides to press charges.

Greg Bird has already been charged with maliciously inflicting grevious bodily harm.

The real issue is what kind of statement she gives and whether it implicates him or not. Because that will be a big part of the police case.

MSIH

Bench
overhearing someone admitting to a crime or representing something and testifying in court is not hearsay.
if someone told the neighbour that they overheard Bird and his GF talking about it, and the neighbour tells - thats hearsay and cannot be used in court.

The neighbour saying what s/he heard is hearsay and not admissable if it's used to prove the truth of the statement (ie that Bird glassed the girl). If it's only used to prove that the vic and Bird said what they said then it should be admissable.

Could be wrong though, I didn't go awesome in Evidence.

mik01

Juniors
Its not a matter of whether she decides to press charges.

Greg Bird has already been charged with maliciously inflicting grevious bodily harm.

The real issue is what kind of statement she gives and whether it implicates him or not. Because that will be a big part of the police case.

thats right - its too late, he's been charged.
even if she refused to testify, the case can go forwards - although it would be severely weakened.
if she lies about it she is liable to be charged herself - it is an offence to lie to the police.

because he implicated his mate, and his mate told all - there's grounds for charges without her having to make a domestic violence complaint. if they both had shut up (or claimed accident), and she refused to press charges, no charges would have been laid cos there would be no proof of anything. even if they suspected strongly that he had done it maliciously

mik01

Juniors
The neighbour saying what s/he heard is hearsay and not admissable if it's used to prove the truth of the statement (ie that Bird glassed the girl). If it's only used to prove that the vic and Bird said what they said then it should be admissable.

Could be wrong though, I didn't go awesome in Evidence.

they overheard the GF say he did it to her, him calling her a fkn idiot etc - at the very least it will go towards disproving the 'other person' theory of Birds and will make it into court. will definitely not paint him in a good light

wow - can't wait for the court case - should be a corker!

seanoff

Juniors
they overheard the GF say he did it to her, him calling her a fkn idiot etc - at the very least it will go towards disproving the 'other person' theory of Birds and will make it into court. will definitely not paint him in a good light

wow - can't wait for the court case - should be a corker!

If she makes a statement to Police that makes it clear it was not an accident then it may not get to trial.

His lawyers may decide to get him plead guilty and hope that that lessens the sentence.

on the face of it, it doesn't look good if she does make a statement that incriminates him

lets see

she has severe injuries

no one else in unit

lotsa blood

shattered glass on bed

he has tried to pin it on his "mate" ( i use mate loosely) This would not go well with any jury i can imagine and implies that he was covering something up

sends messages to "mate" to telling him not to say anything

sends "mate" message saying manager will sort it out

neighbour overheard exchange which pins him as the perp

she makes statement.

previous form for assaulting women

very strong case, lawyer tells Bird to plead guilty.

Last edited:

AILD

Bench
a few weeks ago i called him the dirtiest grubs ever and people told me off!!!

f**king dog this merkin is.

I cant believe Bird would do this to a girl that flew half way round the world to be with him. I hope they lock him up, and he gets SHANKED in tha pen.

icewind

Juniors
afaik, it's now a criminal matter, and it doesn't matter whether she wants to drop the charges or not. Its now in the hands of the police. Even if she says it was an accident, then there is providing false information to the police, them saying someone else did it, going from that to "greg did it but it was an accident", surely won't go down well.

DangerMouse_007

Juniors
"Its not his go" Love that quote.Cannot wait see what the muppet M.Johns has to say.

He won't say anything. No one will. I doubt they'll mention it on the footy show or the roast. If they do they won't say anything supportive just "We'll let the courts decide what's happened, its a bad look for the game though." What else could they though " I don't think think he's guilty", "Birdy is such a good guy I feel bad for him"?

Frailty

First Grade
IMo..... No matter what, Bird will be charged with giving lying to Police and trying to implicate his mate.

For starters, Bird is ALREADY charged. Furthermore, it does not matter whether the victim wants to press charges or not, because of the severity of the crime (grievous bodily harm).

Latest posts