What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Bird charged and released by Sharks

BWNB

First Grade
The club has sacked him.

Sorry, rechecked the article. The club has stood him down indefinitely, but sacking seems inevitable because of sponsors pressure.

Yea once again they are jumping to conclusions... but yes his has been stood down. Its funny that the author wrote the article saying he was sacked where later in the article its quoted that he has been stood down indefinitely. Completely contradictory as theres a difference between being sacked and stood down until the matter is decided in court.

Cops probe possible Greg Bird bail breach

Article from:

By Kara Lawrence
August 27, 2008 01:50pm

POLICE are investigating a possible breach of NRL star Greg Bird's bail conditions following a visit by Bird's manager to the Cronulla Shark's injured girlfriend in hospital yesterday afternoon.
Miranda Local Area Command crime manager Detective Inspector Greg Bamford confirmed police wanted to know the purpose of Gavin Orr’s visit to Kathryn Milligan’s bedside on Tuesday, when Ms Milligan had yet to give a formal statement to police about her alleged glassing by Bird on Sunday morning.
Katie's parents flying to her side from the US
“We are looking at that,’’ Det Insp Bamford told The Daily Telegraph today.

“We would hope to interview the relevant parties soon,’’ he said.
Paul Kent: Should Greg Bird be sacked?
It is believed police would need specific evidence that Bird’s manager Gavin Orr spoke to Ms Milligan on Bird’s behalf when he attended Prince of Wales Hospital, to prove a breach of Bird’s bail and have it revoked.
Greg Bird finished at Sharks
Mr Orr has told The Daily Telegraph he was simply there as a friend of Ms Milligan.

The parties police would seek to speak to included Bird, Mr Orr and Ms Milligan, who has yet to give a formal statement to police.

It is believed she may be released from hospital later in the week, and that her New York-based parents arrived in Sydney this morning to comfort their 24-year-old daughter.

“We are looking at that,’’ Det Insp Bamford told The Daily Telegraph today.
“We would hope to interview the relevant parties soon,’’ he said.
It is believed police would need specific evidence that Bird’s manager Gavin Orr spoke to Ms Milligan on Bird’s behalf when he attended Prince of Wales Hospital, to prove a breach of Bird’s bail and have it revoked.
Mr Orr has told The Daily Telegraph he was simply there as a friend of Ms Milligan.
The parties police would seek to speak to included Bird, Mr Orr and Ms Milligan, who has yet to give a formal statement to police.
It is believed she may be released from hospital later in the week, and that her New York-based parents arrived in Sydney this morning to comfort their 24-year-old daughter.

Source: http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,24249682-5001021,00.html

Hardly surprising, and I'd have thought its 100% guaranteed that Orr was there as Bird's agent not because he likes the girl. Does anyone seriously believe otherwise?

Interesting that she hasn't given a statement to police. Waiting for Mum and Dad to lawyer her up would be my guess. Whatever she may have said previously must have just been to hospital staff or the cops who answered the original call.

Actually, in the unlikely event it was an accident, why would the police have attended Bird's flat? I'd have thought in the case of an accident with broken glass in your home, there are many people you'd call before the police, eg ambulance, hospital, doctor .... who called the police and why?

If the hospital staff suspect by the injury that an assault most likely caised the injury they are required to inform the Police. I understand Sutherland hospital contact the police in thsi case. Also, any initial comments made by the victim, be they later refuted in a formal statement, can also be presented in evidence to the court.

Macaivty, I was not disgreeing with your post, only your reference to "hearsay" evidence. As you rightly point out the statements / evidence of the residents do not tell the story of what happened inside the unit and that is what is critical in this case. What they do is create reasonable suspicion that an assult took place given the statements claim that words spoken were.... katie> Why did you do this to me? Bird> I didnt!..katie> Yes you did!

her words alone do not suggest it was deliberate nor an accident only that she said he did it.

bartman

Immortal
Hardly surprising, and I'd have thought its 100% guaranteed that Orr was there as Bird's agent not because he likes the girl. Does anyone seriously believe otherwise?
Looks dodgy, but if the couple had been an item for a while, then it would make sense that the manager perhpas had dealings with the socially, and was a friend. So his reasoning sticks, even though having him sniff around the hospital could be seen as a conflict of interest, depending which way this case ends up playing out on 8 October.

macavity

Referee
Macaivty, I was not disgreeing with your post, only your reference to "hearsay" evidence. As you rightly point out the statements / evidence of the residents do not tell the story of what happened inside the unit and that is what is critical in this case. What they do is create reasonable suspicion that an assult took place given the statements claim that words spoken were.... katie> Why did you do this to me? Bird> I didnt!..katie> Yes you did!

her words alone do not suggest it was deliberate nor an accident only that she said he did it.

Evidence Act 1995 (NSW) s59 said:
(1) Evidence of a previous representation made by a person is not admissible to prove the existence of a fact that the person intended to assert by the representation.​

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
If the hospital staff suspect by the injury that an assault most likely caised the injury they are required to inform the Police. I understand Sutherland hospital contact the police in thsi case. Also, any initial comments made by the victim, be they later refuted in a formal statement, can also be presented in evidence to the court.

Can we please clear this up?
Hearsay - a legal term - means someone reporting what another person told them. It doesn't mean some saying "I heard them".

Same mistake is made with the word "Manly" where the truth is quite the opposite of the word.

The Cronulla fans overwealmingly support sacking Bird. Other fans can hate Cronulla all they like, but when push comes to shove Cronulla supporters do not want someone representing their community who is a bad influence on their's and other's kids.

Bird has been a lose cannon for some time and has been given the benefit of the doubt by fans as he had appeared to curb his ways.

The dirty grub can f**k off to ESL if he does get off. NRL doesnt need his type.

Alex28

Coach
read what I wrote.

they can testify as to what they heard her/him say. they cannot testify as to the truth or meaning of what was said.

if that is a "strong part of the case", the case will fail.

the question is what weight will the Court give testimony that she said something, or they heard shouting. in my experience they won't give it (by itself) enough weight to find him guilty beyond reasonable doubt.

there may be other collaborating evidence, there may not. it would seem that in lieu of a statement from the victim, the phone discussion with his mate is most incriminating, not what witnesses heard.

at any rate, how about we all wait to see what happens rather than jumping at shadows?

I'm so proud...you are almost sounding like a real law-talking-guy!

:)

Hey Macavity, did you ever sought out the hearsay of what happened in the car park in Newcastle between the Dragon Army and Newcastle supporters?

TITAN1

Juniors
The Cronulla fans overwealmingly support sacking Bird. Other fans can hate Cronulla all they like, but when push comes to shove Cronulla supporters do not want someone representing their community who is a bad influence on their's and other's kids.
Maybe a poll would give a true indication of this? :cool:

LOL no just taking the piss Mac

Infact I will Edit and add this: Regardless of the outcome, as a Sharks supporter I am sick to death of this guys grubby behvaiour. It is detrimental to my club and the to the NRL in general and frankly I believe he has to go.

Last edited:

Glenn

First Grade
So If Bird is cleared of the charges, do these same people that want him removed want him back? :?

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,24246960-23214,00.html

No more Bird. ONya Sharks fans and sponsors for demanding better behaviour from our code's elite. Like Raiders fans over Carney. :clap::clap:

Sticky may be in hot water too, for appearing to support Bird returning if he gets off. I understand the forgiveness thing.

However, Bird wasn't punted for the assault. He was punted for bringing disgrace upon our game.

Well done Cronulla. Hope it doesn't affect your finals run (actually I loath Cronulla, but I have to be nice!)

Kent's article is crap

typical news ltd crap

read this one http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?p=4488195#post4488195

God-King Dean

Immortal
Can't believe people are buying into that sh*t article.

Funny how the title says one thing, & the content says another.

Latest posts