What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Bird charged and released by Sharks

The General

Juniors
Where the f**k did I say that?

Punching someone in the face is bad. It's terrible, but not as bad as other things some players have gotten up to. And punching someone in the face should not get you banned for a year. If Bird goes to jail, then he should be free to play in the NRL after he serves his sentence. He did his time, he shouldn't have to keep paying for it. Manly have had someone who served jail time for manslaughter play for them early this decade.

Your quote proves that you(and El, Timmah, etc.) just completely make things up.

You're a ****en joke. You said 90% of players who have misbehaved have done worse things then Latu. Name 10 incidents in the last 10 years that have been worse then punching a woman in the face and breaking her nose.

DangerMouse_007

Juniors
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,24247958-23214,00.html?from=public_rss

Sharks split as Stuart backs Bird
By Brent Read and Stuart Honeysett
August 27, 2008
CRONULLA could be ripped apart over the Greg Bird affair as coach Ricky Stuart is expected to meet stern opposition from within the club after indicating he could offer the lock forward a second chance.

Only a day after Bird appeared in court for allegedly glassing his girlfriend Katie Milligan, Stuart told Sydney radio Bird could return to the club if he were found not guilty of inflicting grievious bodily harm.

Bird has been stood down indefinitely from playing and training and is not expected to return before the matter is heard at the Downing Centre Court on October 8.

Asked whether he would welcome Bird back, Stuart told radio station 2KY: "I'd say yes, if he's found not guilty.

"Everybody from me, to you, to the Pope has to be given a chance of showing that they're innocent and that's the position that he's in now.

"But unfortunately, it's not my decision.

"It's a decision for the club and for (chief executive) Tony Zappia but we're showing a lot of compassion towards both people who were involved in this."

Stuart's position might struggle to garner support from other officials, who remain bitterly disappointed Bird lied to them after the offence came to light on Sunday morning.

The Test five-eighth admitted there had been an incident at his place involving Milligan but tried to shift the blame to other parties, including his flatmate Brent Watson.

Bird's deception only came to light after Watson contacted police and revealed he had received several messages on his mobile phone from the Sharks lock asking him to take the blame for the attack.

Unless the issue is resolved soon it could splinter the Sharks, who are in third place and well positioned to have a tilt at the premiership.

Zappia, who admitted at a press conference on Monday he was disappointed at being lied to, declined to comment on whether Bird would be accepted back at the club should he be found not guilty.

"He's (Stuart) entitled to his opinion as is everybody else," Zappia said.

"At this stage there's a process in place.

"No decision needs to be made at this point in time."

Milligan, 24, remains in hospital and her parents are understood to be flying from America to be by her side.

Bird, who wasn't at training Tuesday, is in hiding.

Given his actions, any attempt to reinstate the NSW and Australia forward is also likely to anger parties outside the club.

"As a father I'm extremely disappointed about what's happened," said Brent Watson's father, Mick.

"If you think a bloke is a mate and then he does that to you, he's obviously not a mate. I guess my son is disappointed about that, to be used as a scapegoat, and I can understand that position. It's crazy really."

Brent Watson, a member of the NSW elite golf program who hopes eventually to turn professional, has declined to comment on the situation.

His father praised the NSW Golf Association for its support and said his son was disappointed with Bird's actions.

"From a father's point of view, I'm extremely disappointed with what's happened," Mick Watson said.

"I guess it's a kick in the arse when you get a call from a mate asking you to do a favour that in fact could put you in jail. It's a bit hard. There's not too many people who would agree to that unless they have rocks in their head.

"It just goes to show you what mateship is. Realistically I'm extremely disappointed for my son."

The incident is the latest blow to the NRL in a tumultuous season, but the game's governing body remains confident its education programs are working.

University of NSW media professor Catharine Lumby, who previously headed a research project into the NRL's relationship with women, said the league was already reviewing its programs.

Lumby added the game was making some headway in changing players' attitudes towards women but any major change would be part of a long-term process.

"The important battle that's being won is right across the football culture there is now a recognition that the community will not tolerate violence towards women," Lumby said.

"It's a bit like drink-driving. Forty years ago it was acceptable. Today it's not but some idiots still do it."

Agggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What is Stuart thinking? SHUT THE f**k UP AND SAY NOTHING YOU IDIOT. You don't have to say anything one way or the other. It is the clubs decision what happens. All he had to say was "I won't get into hypotheticals, we'll see what happens with the courts then the club will make a decision." Why would you ever say things like if he's not guilty I'd give him a second chance? And what the f**k does "Unfortunately its not my decision" mean? It sounds a whole lot like he is picking a fight with the club and suggesting that he'd like to make the call on Bird and take it out of the clubs hands to ensure he stays. That is totally the wrong thing to say. He's managed to somehow find a way to appear to be on Birds side. His comments were never going to be interpreted well. Read the headline. He created that by opening his mouth when he didn't have to. Thats a horrible piece of media management.

Also "It's a decision for the club and for (chief executive) Tony Zappia but we're showing a lot of compassion towards both people who were involved in this." Does Ricky realize how poor the timing of that remark is considering that about 95% seem very confident he's guilty. He doesn't have to come out and attack Bird thats fine. But to make any kind of sympathetic comments is so stupid I can't even believe it. Just say nothing FFS. Greg Bird is more poisonous right now than any footballer has been in the past decade. Everyone connected with RL should be distancing themselves from him like crazy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Andrew Moore has inside info that the sharks will sack Bird regardless of the court trial, for the reason of lying to Tony Zappia out the details of the incident.

Wouldn't surprise me if thats true. Mind you, Bird seems to have lied to everyone else so why make an exception for Zappia.

Most places I know covering up your f**kups is viewed much worse than the original f**kup .... much better to confess your sins.

TITAN1

Juniors
Football ability outweighs decency according to Stuart?
Shows how desperate he is to win another premiership..whats his record,1 from 4 appearances?

coolumsharkie

Referee
Sharks split as Stuart backs Bird
By Brent Read and Stuart Honeysett
August 27, 2008
CRONULLA could be ripped apart over the Greg Bird affair as coach Ricky Stuart is expected to meet stern opposition from within the club after indicating he could offer the lock forward a second chance.

Only a day after Bird appeared in court for allegedly glassing his girlfriend Katie Milligan, Stuart told Sydney radio Bird could return to the club if he were found not guilty of inflicting grievious bodily harm.

Bird has been stood down indefinitely from playing and training and is not expected to return before the matter is heard at the Downing Centre Court on October 8.

Asked whether he would welcome Bird back, Stuart told radio station 2KY: "I'd say yes, if he's found not guilty.

"Everybody from me, to you, to the Pope has to be given a chance of showing that they're innocent and that's the position that he's in now.

"But unfortunately, it's not my decision.

"It's a decision for the club and for (chief executive) Tony Zappia but we're showing a lot of compassion towards both people who were involved in this."

Stuart's position might struggle to garner support from other officials, who remain bitterly disappointed Bird lied to them after the offence came to light on Sunday morning.

The Test five-eighth admitted there had been an incident at his place involving Milligan but tried to shift the blame to other parties, including his flatmate Brent Watson.

Bird's deception only came to light after Watson contacted police and revealed he had received several messages on his mobile phone from the Sharks lock asking him to take the blame for the attack.

Unless the issue is resolved soon it could splinter the Sharks, who are in third place and well positioned to have a tilt at the premiership.

Zappia, who admitted at a press conference on Monday he was disappointed at being lied to, declined to comment on whether Bird would be accepted back at the club should he be found not guilty.

"He's (Stuart) entitled to his opinion as is everybody else," Zappia said.

"At this stage there's a process in place.

"No decision needs to be made at this point in time."

Milligan, 24, remains in hospital and her parents are understood to be flying from America to be by her side.

Bird, who wasn't at training Tuesday, is in hiding.

Given his actions, any attempt to reinstate the NSW and Australia forward is also likely to anger parties outside the club.

"As a father I'm extremely disappointed about what's happened," said Brent Watson's father, Mick.

"If you think a bloke is a mate and then he does that to you, he's obviously not a mate. I guess my son is disappointed about that, to be used as a scapegoat, and I can understand that position. It's crazy really."

Brent Watson, a member of the NSW elite golf program who hopes eventually to turn professional, has declined to comment on the situation.

His father praised the NSW Golf Association for its support and said his son was disappointed with Bird's actions.

"From a father's point of view, I'm extremely disappointed with what's happened," Mick Watson said.

"I guess it's a kick in the arse when you get a call from a mate asking you to do a favour that in fact could put you in jail. It's a bit hard. There's not too many people who would agree to that unless they have rocks in their head.

"It just goes to show you what mateship is. Realistically I'm extremely disappointed for my son."

The incident is the latest blow to the NRL in a tumultuous season, but the game's governing body remains confident its education programs are working.

University of NSW media professor Catharine Lumby, who previously headed a research project into the NRL's relationship with women, said the league was already reviewing its programs.

Lumby added the game was making some headway in changing players' attitudes towards women but any major change would be part of a long-term process.

"The important battle that's being won is right across the football culture there is now a recognition that the community will not tolerate violence towards women," Lumby said.

"It's a bit like drink-driving. Forty years ago it was acceptable. Today it's not but some idiots still do it."

Agggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What is Stuart thinking? SHUT THE f**k UP AND SAY NOTHING YOU IDIOT. You don't have to say anything one way or the other. It is the clubs decision what happens. All he had to say was "I won't get into hypotheticals, we'll see what happens with the courts then the club will make a decision." Why would you ever say things like if he's not guilty I'd give him a second chance? And what the f**k does "Unfortunately its not my decision" mean? It sounds a whole lot like he is picking a fight with the club and suggesting that he'd like to make the call on Bird and take it out of the clubs hands to ensure he stays. That is totally the wrong thing to say. He's managed to somehow find a way to appear to be on Birds side. His comments were never going to be interpreted well. Read the headline. He created that by opening his mouth when he didn't have to. Thats a horrible piece of media management.

Also "It's a decision for the club and for (chief executive) Tony Zappia but we're showing a lot of compassion towards both people who were involved in this." Does Ricky realize how poor the timing of that remark is considering that about 95% seem very confident he's guilty. He doesn't have to come out and attack Bird thats fine. But to make any kind of sympathetic comments is so stupid I can't even believe it. Just say nothing FFS. Greg Bird is more poisonous right now than any footballer has been in the past decade. Everyone connected with RL should be distancing themselves from him like crazy.

Calm down DM007, there's no rift in the club whatsoever.

All these quotes are taken out of context in regards to this articles new spin. The journo's are the ones that should be hung drawn and quartered at times. Not Ricky or even Bird.

Inferno

Coach
eg Bird is more poisonous right now than any footballer has been in the past decade.

lol

Bit of an over reaction, I don't see a problem with Sticky weighing in with his personal opinion, and defending his player, before anything has been proven yet.

DangerMouse_007

Juniors
Calm down DM007, there's no rift in the club whatsoever.

All these quotes are taken out of context in regards to this articles new spin. The journo's are the ones that should be hung drawn and quartered at times. Not Ricky or even Bird.

Thats the whole point. How dumb is he that he didn't know the comments would be interpreted like this? He had the choice to say absolutely nothing and stay on safe ground. Instead he's found a way to draw himself into the issue.

lol

Bit of an over reaction, I don't see a problem with Sticky weighing in with his personal opinion, and defending his player, before anything has been proven yet.

He's alleged to have a hit a girl in a face with a bottle? He nearly took her eye out. Then he tried to blame it on his friend. Who else has faced allegations that sickening?

Not to mention the fact that he appears 99% guilty. Somehow we are expected to believe the broken glass accidentally hit her in the eye in the course of a massive argument. When she cried "why did you do this to me" she was talking about something not related to the glass. The whole thing was one giant coincidence. Of course there's a simple light hearted explanation to the whole thing. The fact he felt this explanation wasn't that believable and he tried to pin it on a mate instead means nothing. His other incidents through his career shouldn't come into either.

Maybe Ricky shouldn't be defending his player when it appears the trial will be little more than an official announcement he is going to jail.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/new...om-club-website/2008/08/27/1219516563633.html
Persona non grata: Sharks wipe Bird from club website

Glenn Jackson | August 28, 2008

CRONULLA have attempted to distance themselves further from Greg Bird, yesterday removing the lock - charged on Monday with assaulting his girlfriend - from the club's official website.

Even though Sharks chief executive Tony Zappia has flagged an intention to meet Bird and his manager Gavin Orr in coming weeks, the decision to erase him from the player profiles list would appear to be another nail in the coffin of the Test and Origin representative's Sharks career, after he was stood down from the club indefinitely, pending the court action against him.

"Obviously, at the moment, he's under police investigation," Zappia said. "We've got sponsors to think about and we're ensuring the integrity of the brand."

Zappia has not spoken with Bird since Monday, when he told officials he was not involved in an incident at his Cronulla home which resulted in his girlfriend, Katie Milligan, suffering eye injuries. With the smell of deceit relatively strong, Zappia said he hoped to meet the player for "information gathering".

"I've sent correspondence to his manager and we're waiting for a suitable time," he said.

Bird's manager, Gavin Orr, has been the subject of police investigation after visiting Milligan at Prince of Wales Hospital on Tuesday even though Bird was forbidden to contact her, even through another party. Zappia refused to be critical of Orr, saying: "He doesn't work for me. He decides what he does."

Kiki

First Grade
okay ive been absent but this is all so crazy. and really unexpected...i always thought he was a big crying sook not a woman basher. such a shame.

any update on how her operation went?

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/nrl/story/0,27074,24252926-14823,00.html

Sharks delete Bird from club website

By Dean Ritchie | August 28, 2008 12:00am

As a direct result of Bird's arrest last weekend, executives from sleeve sponsor PKF Chartered Accountants will meet coach Ricky Stuart, chief executive Tony Zappia and NRL CEO David Gallop at midday to discuss terminating their three-year deal.

Today's meeting follows an emergency meeting of PKF's executive last night in Sydney.

To illustrate the club is moving on from Bird, the Sharks yesterday removed his profile from its official website. He is pictured in a website photo sitting next to coach Stuart but his profile, including age and interests, have now been deleted.

Asked why the club had taken such a stance, Zappia said: "It is important we protect the brand of the club and protect our sponsors until the investigation is finalised.

"It's not a insignificant thing. It's about protecting everybody."

PKF is in the first season of a three-year sponsorship deal and outlay up to $300,000 a season to the Sharks.

The company is deeply concerned its image will be tarnished by being linked to a club whose player allegedly assaulted a woman last weekend.

Bird has been stood down indefinitely by the Sharks after being charged with "glassing" girlfriend Katie Milligan on Sunday morning.

PKF management claim to have been bombarded by emails from staff and clients questioning their sponsorship commitment with Cronulla.

"We are a big supporter of the NRL and have been a part of the NRL for some time," PKF chief executive David Ratcliffe said last night.

"We talk to our staff and clients about respect and integrity and we can't afford to have anything tarnish that. Our brand and image are everything. Quality and respect - it's hard to keep talking to staff and clients about this if we don't stand by it.

"I'm having trouble keeping this on track. This has created a real problem for us. This isn't particularly healthy.

"A number of our staff and clients are asking whether we are reviewing the sponsorship and our commitment to the Sharks."

Former Balmain, NSW and Australian hooker Ben Elias - a friend of both Ratcliffe and Stuart - has been called in to assist with the talks, but did not want to comment yesterday.

Zappia said last night he was hopeful of retaining PKF as a sponsor. "I can confirm PKF have suggested we meet to discuss our ongoing sponsorship," Zappia told The Daily Telegraph. "I understand they have concerns. It's important to remember that there are legal proceedings to follow and a police investigation is currently under way.

I would like to think PKF would continue to support the club until, at the very least, the matter is finalised."

PKF national marketing director Sarah Waley is deeply concerned about the Bird drama.

"We are a leading accountancy firm - we can't stand by when these things happen," she said.

"This provides us with a real issue. We are very conscious of our image and there is certainly a question mark over our investment with Cronulla."

bartman

Immortal
Well there's a reasom why Stuart should have kept his mouth shut, if people couldn't see a reason before.

In fact it sounds like 300,000 reasons if he goes on giving quotes in teh media paving the way for a Bird return, when all companies want is for their money and name not to be linked to the alleged behaviour. Zappia should tell the clown to pull his head in until after the Sharks get knocked out.

It'll only be a month Ricky, surely you can keep schtumm for that long?

El Diablo

Post Whore
Well there's a reasom why Stuart should have kept his mouth shut, if people couldn't see a reason before.

In fact it sounds like 300,000 reasons if he goes on giving quotes in teh media paving the way for a Bird return, when all companies want is for their money and name not to be linked to the alleged behaviour. Zappia should tell the clown to pull his head in until after the Sharks get knocked out.

It'll only be a month Ricky, surely you can keep schtumm for that long?

i wonder if you could sue the sponsor if he was found not guilty and they had pulled out over it

they must have signed some form of contract and if he is ound not guilty there's not much Cronulla could have done

then again i never believe everything i read in a news ltd article. would't surprise me if there was a fair bit of selective quoting

Last edited:

Latest posts