What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Bird charged and released by Sharks

DJShaksta

First Grade
Eels Dude, part of the problem in a matter such as this, is that police officers on behalf of the crown are sworn to keep the peace and protect its citizens and the officer in question would have made sworn statement detailing certain facts in this matter.

As such it makes it a bit more complicated to backtrack as opposed to a citizen changing their mind (so to speak)

Here is my question then:

If she journeys to where ever Greg Bird has been staying the past few weeks to see him and the cops turn up there, do they arrest Bird for breaching the AVO by staying at his home, or do they arrest her for breaching an AVO that she does not want put on herself??

Here is my question then:

If she journeys to where ever Greg Bird has been staying the past few weeks to see him and the cops turn up there, do they arrest Bird for breaching the AVO by staying at his home, or do they arrest her for breaching an AVO that she does not want put on herself??

The Orders of the Court would have very specific wording. For instance it might say something like :

for a period of 6 months.........

"GB is not to go within 100 metres of KM residence"

"GB is not to contact KM by telephone"

"GB is not to harrass intimidate or molest KM"

If Milligan was to travel to Birds home and visit with him and maybe, share a coffee, he has not breached the orders and neither has she.

However, it would seem that if Milligan is attempting to have the AVO removed then it may well be the case that she is concerned of being in breach of the current orders if they actually do meet up.

But it all depends on the specific wording of the orders.

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
It seems Bird's bird still loves him and wants nothing to do with any AVO constructed by the police.
The police case aganist Bird at this rate will be withdrawn as there will be no credible witnesses.
Bird should suit up and play in the semsi next week..he has done his punishment, done it like a man and should get back to what the league public want to see him do..playing good footy!

This is a fair call. I think Bird is the victim here.

David Gallop, the NRL needs to step in - because, at the end of the day, it is the game that counts here - we need to stop having rugby league tainted by this unfortuante incident.

What concerns me is the vigilantes here who want to crucify Birdy when we don't even have the full facts.

DJShaksta

First Grade
Thats my point exactly Jatz.
KM goes to GB's place, they have a coffee, cops turn up and tell her she has to leave. She refuses.
2 options:
She leaves of her own free will which I can't see happening if she wants to be there.
Or, they try to take her, she struggles, GB defends her and gets into a scuffle with the cops, they arrest him for defending her and then say he attacked them and caused the incident.

The whole situation is crazy. If she wants to see him, what legal right have they got to stop her, or remove her from that position??

This is a fair call. I think Bird is the victim here.

David Gallop, the NRL needs to step in - because, at the end of the day, it is the game that counts here - we need to stop having rugby league tainted by this unfortuante incident.

What concerns me is the vigilantes here who want to crucify Birdy when we don't even have the full facts.

What utter nonsense.

Gallop & the NRL have no power when it comes to matters of applications by police to a court.

Thats my point exactly Jatz.
KM goes to GB's place, they have a coffee, cops turn up and tell her she has to leave. She refuses.
2 options:
She leaves of her own free will which I can't see happening if she wants to be there.
Or, they try to take her, she struggles, GB defends her and gets into a scuffle with the cops, they arrest him for defending her and then say he attacked them and caused the incident.

The whole situation is crazy. If she wants to see him, what legal right have they got to stop her, or remove her from that position??

No.

Have a look at the sample orders I wrote down.

"GB is not to go within 100 metres of KM residence"

"GB is not to contact KM by telephone"

"GB is not to harrass intimidate or molest KM"

Bird has not gone within 100 metres of KMs residence. Nor phoned her. Nor has he harrasses intimidated or molester her. In that example he has not breached the orders.

The orders DO NOT say she cant visit Bird, so she has not breached an order either.

Hope that helps make it a bit clearer ?

DJShaksta

First Grade
Yeah it does mate.
I just imagine KM is feeling pretty frustrated right now at not being able to remove an AVO that she never had any control over in the first place.
But yeah, as long as all the stipulations in it are directed at GB approaching or contacting her, then she should be free to approach or contact him whenever she pleases.

The whole Bird situation is turning into a farce and the police should withdraw the matter IMO. I was 100% in favour of hanging the guy if he did assault the woman but with what is being said and the unwillingness of the alledged victim to support this charge it should be withdrawn.

Bird should face the music with teh Sharks management over the way he handled the situation and what he is alledged to have said to the club, then a decision made on his future.

With teh conduct of other RL players, pending charges / cases and now the new allegations against Bronco players, it would appear that given current circumstances in the Bird incident, he is taking more heat than any other RL player, charged, accused, alledged or suggested to have crossed the line in any serious matter.

This is now a complete FARCE

Latest posts