What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Bird charged and released by Sharks

ozbash

Referee
This is now a complete FARCE

totally agree, but if the Police decided there was not enough evidence/withdrew any charges yada yada, would the Sharks be able to discipline him ?

totally agree, but if the Police decided there was not enough evidence/withdrew any charges yada yada, would the Sharks be able to discipline him ?

I believe the reported (if accurate) accounts of his calls to the club and what he told them of the matter, would certainly be sufficient for them to determine a wide range of actions they may take.

smeghead

Bench
I think there is still the small matter of attempting to hinder a Police investigation by dumping his mate in it to answer isn't there???

Surely

Post Whore
I think there is still the small matter of attempting to hinder a Police investigation by dumping his mate in it to answer isn't there???

You can only hinder if you are not the accused.

The accused can lie his ass off to the police.

smeghead

Bench
I thought the attempting to pervert the course of justice may be an option still but it is very likely I am wrong.

Do people think that widely publicised fabrications told to the Police by Bird may be the biggest hinderance to him being able to play? They do have the large umbrella of bringing the game in to disrepute to cloister themselves in if the club was to make that decision

Surely

Post Whore

Do people think that widely publicised fabrications told to the Police by Bird may be the biggest hinderance to him being able to play? They do have the large umbrella of bringing the game in to disrepute to cloister themselves in if the club was to make that decision

Possibly, but it's quite possible he was advised to deny involvement even if it was accidental.

Press reports contain these quotes

The court was told Bird and Ms Milligan initially told police Watson was responsible for the alleged atack.
Bird allegedly put Watson in contact with a solicitor who told him: "We don't want this matter getting in to the media".

According to a statement of facts, Bird allegedly sent a text message to Watson while he was being interviewed, telling him: "My manager is helping us sort this s**t out".

Something has happened to Katie. it was an accident," Bird said in the phone call.
"There is blood everywhere in the unit. We have told police it's you. How do you feel about that?"

It looks like bad advice backfiring to me

salivor

First Grade
I don't have a problem with the AVO not being taken back regardless of the wishes of the girlfriend. When it comes to domestic abuse cases it's sad but some women need to be protected from themselves.

I thought the attempting to pervert the course of justice may be an option still but it is very likely I am wrong.

This is interesting. Who actually said what and to who? Milligton has not been interviewed by the Police. It has been reported that the hospital staff were told it was an accident and the golfer was involved. The hospital staff it is said to have contacted Police and told them what they were told by the victim and bird.

What did Bird say when interviewed? I cant recall if it was reported he put Watson in at that time.

But I think you are right that this part needs to be looked into as part of the clubs decision on what to do if charges are dropped.

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
This is interesting. Who actually said what and to who? Milligton has not been interviewed by the Police. It has been reported that the hospital staff were told it was an accident and the golfer was involved. The hospital staff it is said to have contacted Police and told them what they were told by the victim and bird.

What did Bird say when interviewed? I cant recall if it was reported he put Watson in at that time.

But I think you are right that this part needs to be looked into as part of the clubs decision on what to do if charges are dropped.

This has got "Haneef" written all over it.

S.R.

Juniors
I know a Police Officer, and from what I've been told, if a female goes near the bloke who has the AVO against them, the Police will basically attempt to remove the woman from the property. HOW they do that, I don't know!!

As for this story, well, it appears the Police down Miranda way go for the Dragons, while the Police in Brisbane are massive Bronco fans!!

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/sport/nrl/story/0,26746,24367803-5003409,00.html

Time to reveal all, club sponsor tells Greg Bird

By Steve Gee | September 19, 2008 12:00am

CRONULLA Sharks player star Greg Bird was yesterday urged to tell his side of the story over the glass attack on his girlfriend amid calls for him to return to the rugby league field.

One of the club's major sponsors said Bird was "innocent until proven guilty" and should be allowed to play.

Madeline Tynan, principal and marketing manager of the Tynan Motor Group, said Bird should be reinstated as early as the Sharks grand final qualifier on Friday week.

Ms Tynan told The Daily Telegraph Bird had been harshly dealt with.

But a frustrated Sharks chief executive Tony Zappia urged Bird to come clean over the alleged attack.

"Why don't you ring Greg Bird and ask him to give an answer (about) what happened," Mr Zappia said.

"I think that's a better answer."

Bird continues to follow legal advice and not give a statement to police.

Ms Tynan, whose Sutherland dealership provides Bird with a vehicle as part of a club sponsorship, said she fully supported the 24-year-old who she has known for several years.

She defended the company's decision to offer Bird a seat in its private box during the Sharks semi-final win over Canberra where he was photographed drinking a bottle of beer.

"I don't think he should have been stood down," Ms Tynan said.

"He is innocent until proven guilty.

"We support Greg and believe that what's been reported about what happened is incorrect. He should definitely be allowed back now."

Ms Tynan said the suspension appeared particularly harsh in the wake of the Broncos rape allegations and other cases, where players have escaped similar sanctions.

"I have a 21-year-old daughter so do you think if I had concerns about him I would support him?" Ms Tynan said.

"That's why we've let him keep the car and offered him a seat in the box."

Bird's girlfriend, Katie Milligan, appeared in court the week to lift an apprehended violence order prohibiting the couple from seeing or contacting one another before the case returns to court on October 8 - three days after the NRL grand final.

Bird was suspended last month after it emerged he lied about the circumstances of Ms Milligan's facial injuries. He told the club he was not present.

The Sharks two major sponsors - LG Electronics and PKF accountants - yesterday reiterated their support of the club's stance.

bartman

Immortal
But a frustrated Sharks chief executive Tony Zappia urged Bird to come clean over the alleged attack.

"Why don't you ring Greg Bird and ask him to give an answer (about) what happened," Mr Zappia said.

"I think that's a better answer."

Bird continues to follow legal advice and not give a statement to police.
Well said Tony.

Bird is simply playing legal games, and that seems to be his priority rather than facing up to his club and making a statement about why - on the evidence so far reported about the incident - he appears to have attempted to mislead his club, and the police.

No use whinging about being stood down from playing unless you are willing to play ball Greg. Make the statement, gutterc*ck.

Bird was suspended last month after it emerged he lied about the circumstances of Ms Milligan's facial injuries. He told the club he was not present.
That's the main reason the guy has been stood down by his club. Until something about that fact changes, he won't play for the Shark again in a hurry.

hellteam

First Grade
El Diablo, that story you posted says in it.... the suspension appeared harsh in the wake of the Broncos rape allegations.

Poorly worded by the author as I don't think the claims were ever that they raped her.

Bigfella

Coach
Bad call by TZ.

Trying to pressure Bird to waive his legal entitlement could backfire.

Whatever he may have done wrong - and presumably the Sharks have some information about what that is which they used to suspend him - it was not exercising his right to silence when charged with a serious criminal offence.

Sharks need to explain their position better than that. There would be no justification for suspending, finining, sacking or penalising Bird for exercising an age-old right to legal silence. If that is the reason he is not playing this would be a very compelling lawsuit for Bird against the club.

I'm sure it is not the real reason - but Zappia is playing a dangerous game by implying so. He is also not being honest himself, which he accuses Bird of.

I think this is the Sharks reacting to criticism that they have been too hard on Bird in light of the Broncos position.

DJShaksta

First Grade
When the story first broke into the news Zapps spoke to Bird and Bird allegedly told him there was an incident in his unit but he was not there.
Bird apparenly lied to the club. I think Zapps wants some clarity on that situation before he moves forward.

Latest posts