What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Bird charged and released by Sharks

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
I remember the all the outrage by Sharks fans over Bird's actions and their wishes he gets punted from the club.. Suddenly Seymour gets hurt and they are all now justifying why he should play again this season..

If Bird does play again this year, then the Sharks club and administrators and Ricky Stuart can all go rot in hell for all I care..

Eels Dude

Coach
Is it illegal to glass your girlfriend if she doesn't mind.....????

That's an interesting argument. There's some odd sexual fetishes out there which would be deemed illegal if found out about, but nothing's going to happen if kept behind closed doors. I would say it would be illegal even if she doesn't mind, but because it was reported and needed medical treatment the police have to investigate and have to charge.

[furrycat]

Coach
That's an interesting argument. There's some odd sexual fetishes out there which would be deemed illegal if found out about, but nothing's going to happen if kept behind closed doors. I would say it would be illegal even if she doesn't mind, but because it was reported and needed medical treatment the police have to investigate and have to charge.

Crown V Brown. Bunch of sickos doing weird sex acts on video where they belt the sh*t out of each other. Police charged them anyway because you cannot consent to assault and set a precedent for it.

Even if Milligan says she does not want to proceed with charges it is not up to her, or even her choice with the AVO. Because it has come into the light (and went to hospital) it is out of her hands.

Eels Dude

Coach
[furrycat];4542856 said:
Crown V Brown. Bunch of sickos doing weird sex acts on video where they belt the sh*t out of each other. Police charged them anyway because you cannot consent to assault and set a precedent for it.

Even if Milligan says she does not want to proceed with charges it is not up to her, or even her choice with the AVO. Because it has come into the light (and went to hospital) it is out of her hands.

I feel sorry for her. She's the victim in this case, and all she wants is for it to be all over with. She is going to suffer a lot more in the long term with the ongoing stress of a court case and not being able to see her partner.

That's why I think the police jurisdiction and the court system are f**ked. It's supposed to be about protecting the victims etc but it's not anymore. It's all about procedure. I've lost my faith in the legal system for these reasons and I know many others who have also. And once faith is lost there is no turning back. That's an argument for another thread though.

[furrycat]

Coach
I feel sorry for her. She's the victim in this case, and all she wants is for it to be all over with. She is going to suffer a lot more in the long term with the ongoing stress of a court case and not being able to see her partner.

That's why I think the police jurisdiction and the court system are f**ked. It's supposed to be about protecting the victims etc but it's not anymore. It's all about procedure. I've lost my faith in the legal system for these reasons and I know many others who have also. And once faith is lost there is no turning back. That's an argument for another thread though.

Disagree mate.

I think there are too many domestic victims who would just asy "oh no he still loves me despite the fact he cut out my ovaries" and not want to press charges, but it is in their interest that justice is served.

But you're right, argument for another thread :lol:

hellteam

First Grade
100% agree with you FurryCat.

That's the thing with domestic violence, so much of it goes unreported because the wife or whoever thinks the other person loves them. They will end up getting hurt more that way then if they get the offender charged.

I have a vague recollection from my student days that you can't give a valid consent to an illegal act. Likewise you cannot contract to commit a crime.

The Dodger

First Grade
the fact that her father is happy for them to continue to see each other shows some relevence to his innocence.

what father would let his daughter continue dating a man that has done that to her?

tell me please?

because if you cant, then you all have jack shiit.

bartman

Immortal
Um, I don't think the father's opinion alone is enough to declare the court case brought against Bird for his alleged actions to a close?

Imagine if that's the way the world worked :lol:. Nah, I'll take the legal system and its requirements for evidence, charges and proper hearings to judge innocence or otherwise any day thanks. And I'm happy the guy remains stood down by his employer for lying to his employer about the situation in the meantime - let's remember Bird is still drawing his cheques after all.

It was a question aimed at a budding young lawyer, not at a dickhead...

IMO a stupid question, however I would agree with most postings that the Sharks club has acted reasonably and in a manner which set an example in future to other clubs.

If at teh end of the day the matter is dealt with and Bird is cleared or the matter is eventually dropped by the Police then Bird must then explain his stupidity in reporting falsely to the Club that he was not present when the alledged incident took place. he must also have this other matter of an assault at a club earlier in the year to be dealt with.

His journey is far from over in this matter.

As for domestic violence, I have some minor experience in seeing what has been said in here about the victims state of mind. having worked in the courts for a number of years I have seen many applications where the victim has not wanted the matter to proceed and watched the frustation of many a magistrate when this occurrs, particularaly in case much worse and more solid then then the Bird case. I have witnessed instances where the victim who sought the matters removed end up deseased.

The law as it stands now is designed to protect those victims from themselves and should be applauded for what they seek to prevent.

Shorty

Staff member
I think that's been explained 1 million pages ago,Dodger.
That means 'jack sh*t' because you don't think she's been through enough already?
To testify against him and speak in the court wouldn't be traumatic for her?

She probably just wants to forget about things and as a result her father probably respects that.

Hutty1986

Immortal
I remember the all the outrage by Sharks fans over Bird's actions and their wishes he gets punted from the club.. Suddenly Seymour gets hurt and they are all now justifying why he should play again this season..

If Bird does play again this year, then the Sharks club and administrators and Ricky Stuart can all go rot in hell for all I care..

Word

The Dodger

First Grade
Um, I don't think the father's opinion alone is enough to declare the court case brought against Bird for his alleged actions to a close?

Imagine if that's the way the world worked :lol:. Nah, I'll take the legal system and its requirements for evidence, charges and proper hearings to judge innocence or otherwise any day thanks. And I'm happy the guy remains stood down by his employer for lying to his employer about the situation in the meantime - let's remember Bird is still drawing his cheques after all.

idiot...

in regards to the court case, the charges will be dropped.
im sure of it (its an assumption but im quite confident of this)

in regards to what really happened, im saying that if her father has heard what happened and is happy for her to contiune her relationship with him, then that should be enough to show that there wasnt anything in the incident. not to the courts and not to the club, but to anyone he is following this story.

i for one will never let my daughter date a guy who is, in the slightest possibility, prone to doing something dangerous to her. unless i am totally conivnced that there was no malice in it, i would not let my daughter date the guy.

in regards to the court cases, that will be all over quite quickly.

im not saying i know what hapened but im making an assumption as to what could have happened and considering her father is happy for her to continue seeing him, shows there wouldnt be much in it.

if there was, then the father is an even bigger moron than his daughter.

The Dodger

First Grade
I think that's been explained 1 million pages ago,Dodger.
That means 'jack sh*t' because you don't think she's been through enough already?
To testify against him and speak in the court wouldn't be traumatic for her?

She probably just wants to forget about things and as a result her father probably respects that.

yeah thats all good shorty but would you let your daughter continue dating a guy if he did harm her in the slightest chance?

thats what im trying to say here.

Shorty

Staff member
I don't know because I haven't been faced with the situation...it's all good to say that you would but I'm sure circumstances can change opinions.

She could even be lying to her father...domestic relationships will do a lot of funny things to women.

In any case,something was fishy enough for them to resort to lying about the situation...that is what has me less confident of one sided decisions on this case.
If Bird knew what was good for him he'd just tell the club the story,but mr lawyer won't allow that.

Latest posts