What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Bird charged and released by Sharks

Y2Eel

First Grade
idiot...

in regards to the court case, the charges will be dropped.
im sure of it (its an assumption but im quite confident of this)

in regards to what really happened, im saying that if her father has heard what happened and is happy for her to contiune her relationship with him, then that should be enough to show that there wasnt anything in the incident. not to the courts and not to the club, but to anyone he is following this story.

i for one will never let my daughter date a guy who is, in the slightest possibility, prone to doing something dangerous to her. unless i am totally conivnced that there was no malice in it, i would not let my daughter date the guy.

in regards to the court cases, that will be all over quite quickly.

im not saying i know what hapened but im making an assumption as to what could have happened and considering her father is happy for her to continue seeing him, shows there wouldnt be much in it.

if there was, then the father is an even bigger moron than his daughter.

So how do you know Birds GF isn't trying to cover for the dickhead?

The Dodger

First Grade
I don't know because I haven't been faced with the situation...it's all good to say that you would but I'm sure circumstances can change opinions.

She could even be lying to her father...domestic relationships will do a lot of funny things to women.

In any case,something was fishy enough for them to resort to lying about the situation...that is what has me less confident of one sided decisions on this case.
If Bird knew what was good for him he'd just tell the club the story,but mr lawyer won't allow that.

it could go both ways.

what if they tried to make up another story because they knew what type of media ridicule they would have been facing.

how do you know he lied?

has this been proven?

or are you just reading off media reports like everyone else in here.

they have proven that they havent been very reliable as of late.
what makes you think they are telling the real story?

nothing can be done about it atm so we will just have to wait and see.

bartman

Immortal
Good start, I can tell your post will be full of spot-on information now...

And that's irrelevant to why Bird is currently stood down. The club (his employer) has stood him down for lying to them about since his role in the incident. Bird or a representative are still yet to give the club a statement, apparently due to legal advice Bird has received. The price of Bird following that legal advice simply is that he cannot play for his club/employer again until they are satisfied with his explanation for his lies, when/if he makes one.

in regards to what really happened, im saying that if her father has heard what happened and is happy for her to contiune her relationship with him, then that should be enough to show that there wasnt anything in the incident. not to the courts and not to the club, but to anyone he is following this story.
I disagree. I'm saying that I'll take the evidence and court's decision over someone's father's opinion, every time. If she wants to continue a relationship with him that is her choice, but that alone (and the father's support for it) don't magically mean that something never happened.

i for one will never let my daughter date a guy who is, in the slightest possibility, prone to doing something dangerous to her. unless i am totally conivnced that there was no malice in it, i would not let my daughter date the guy.
Good stuff, similar attitude to what I'd have. But your daughter may not be half way around the world making her own decisions (how do you not let a grown person do what they want to do?), and may not also be dependent on her status with the guy for her current or future visa entitlements to stay in another country.

im not saying i know what hapened but im making an assumption as to what could have happened and considering her father is happy for her to continue seeing him, shows there wouldnt be much in it.
Yes, you are. And you call someone else an idiot :lol:.

Could be very possible, there's a lot of dumb people out there that happen to be fathers. He might be an ex-footballer!

t1tan

Juniors
So there you have it.
If your opinion doesnt agree with that of a few shark supporters you get childish name calling.
But you cant dare call their opinion wrong. :roll:
Oh thats right,they know the truth,dont they?

So there you have it.
If your opinion doesnt agree with that of a few shark supporters you get childish name calling.
But you cant dare call their opinion wrong. :roll:
Oh thats right,they know the truth,dont they?

That does'nt just apply to Sharks posters in here. You will get the same name calling or worse from other posters supporting other clubs if you post anything contradicting their point of view.

Don't tell me you have never experienced that.

Charlie124

First Grade
idiot...

in regards to the court cases, that will be all over quite quickly.

You are not her father though, so what you would do as a father has no bearing on anything. Thats like saying "well i wouldnt molest my 8yr old daughter so lets let the men accused of pedophila out of jail". You as a father probably wouldnt use your own children to smuggle drugs through airports either but sadly that sh*t happens. Just because its not something you would do doesnt mean its not something someone else would do.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,24373007-5007132,00.html

Only we know what really happened, says Katie Milligan
Article from: The Daily Telegraph

By Larissa Cummings

September 20, 2008 12:00am

KATIE Milligan finds it hard to believe her life has changed so much in three weeks.

Before August 24 - the day her boyfriend, NRL star Greg Bird, allegedly "glassed" her - she couldn't contain her excitement at resuming her law degree in Australia and living with the man she had fallen in love with almost a year ago back in her home city, New York.

The only thing she knew about Greg Bird when he introduced himself in a bar in Las Vegas on October 19 last year was that he was an "Aussie who played rugby league".

"I was on holiday with my girlfriends from university in Vegas and he was there for an end of season trip. He was trying to sound super Australian so I'd think he was exotic," she laughed. "We instantly hit it off. It was as if we'd known each other forever."

After spending the weekend together, Bird surprised the pretty law student by visiting her in New York instead of returning home to Sydney.

"They say what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas but I guess not because it crosses the country," she said.

Ms Milligan spent the week showing Bird her home, taking him to Times Square and the top of the Rockefeller Centre, where she discovered his fear of heights.

"He's terrified of heights and needles and bugs, he's a big cry baby - that's what people don't know about him," she said.

"We had an instant physical connection but I really fell in love with Greg in New York because that's when I discovered all his little quirks, like that he's a scaredy cat."

She also found out he's a romantic who shares her taste for Billy Joel songs.

"We would walk around the city at night before we'd go to sleep and he'd sing me songs while we shared an ipod. We both love Billy Joel. We joked about Uptown Girl later, but back then he used to sing me the song Lullaby," she said.

When he returned home to Sydney, the two set up web-cams and co-ordinated their schedules around the three hours they had to talk each day.

"He asked me to come for New Year's Eve and I did and it was great," she said.

When Greg first mentioned the possibility of moving permanently to Sydney, she was hesitant.

"I had planned to go to law school in California. But when I went home, I felt like I wasn't the same," she said.

"It seriously was like a part of me was missing and I've never felt that way before about anybody.

"I would always ask my Mum, when did you know you wanted to marry Dad and be with one person for the rest of your life?

"She would always say there's that moment when you meet somebody and I just thought it was a bunch of fairytales but that's exactly what happened." On a second trip to Sydney in April, Ms Milligan arranged to study law at the University of Notre Dame and found out Bird was a minor celebrity. "It was weird because, when I met him I thought OK, you're a rugby (league) player and what else do you do?

"And he said 'No, I just play rugby (league).' And I was like, he must be good if that's all he does and he can sustain himself," she said.

"People would come up to us all the time and I asked him 'Are you famous or something, what's the deal?' and he just said 'I guess I'm a pretty good player.'

"And then I came to find out he has played tests for Australia (and State of Origin)."

During her visit, she went to her first league match to watch Bird play with the Sharks.

"He scored two tries and his family said he was showing off. He did this dramatic throwing the ball into the crowd thing," she said.

While moving to another country was scary, she said it was time for her to start her life and her parents and family - she is the youngest of three sisters - remained supportive.

In July, Ms Milligan moved into Bird's beachfront apartment in Cronulla temporarily until she found her own place.

"We were never planning on living together. He wanted me to but that was out of the question for me. My family is Catholic and I'm not really keen to live with someone unless we're married," she said. Living at close range, they discovered each other's quirks, like Bird's penchant for pizza and snuggling, and her late night Cold Rock runs.

"He likes to lip sync in the mirror. He will entertain himself for hours. He's pretty dorky."

His "snuggling" also took some getting used to. "He's a major snuggler and if he wakes up at night and we're not snuggling, he'll freak out," she said.

"He doesn't realise how big and muscular he is and he'll (mimes putting his leg over her body) do this and it feels like an oak tree has fallen on my chest."

Quirks aside, they are "just like any other couple. We like to sit on the lounge and watch movies and we go out with our friends to the pub sometimes."

But on August 24, when the couple went to a pub in Double Bay with Ms Milligan's friends from university, things unraveled.

Instead of leaving together, she stayed at a friend's unit and he went home to Cronulla. She drove home the next morning, but just after 7.30am, neighbours reported hearing shouting and then seeing Ms Milligan staggering from the unit with a bloodied towel held to her eye.

Although she is legally bound not to talk about the incident, Ms Milligan said neither she nor Bird were drunk and she insists he did nothing wrong.

"People think it was the result of some all night bender but that's not what happened at all.

"I can understand why people would question my decision, based on the media reports alone, but at the end of the day I was the one there with Greg. There were only two of us in the room and there are only two of us that know exactly what happened and it might stay that way and people are going to have to accept my decision to stand by him.

"I can say with complete certainty that I consider myself an intelligent person. I wouldn't stand by and support somebody who would ever have intentionally hurt me or, in the future, have the potential to hurt me.

"And if that's not enough for people, I know that's enough for me in my heart."

Ms Milligan was rushed to hospital after the incident with an extensive cut on her left eye and a suspected fractured eye socket.

She said as soon as she got there, the doctors opened her eye and she could see.

"My eye is pretty important to me. I do a lot of reading but it hasn't been a problem.

"My doctors say it's healing well. They said the way it's going now it looks like it'll be fine and it won't need any plastic surgery."

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,24373677-5001021,00.html
My Greg would never hurt me, says Katie Milligan
Article from: The Daily Telegraph

EXCLUSIVE by Larissa Cummings

September 20, 2008 12:00am

THE scars around Katie Milligan's left eye are fading but her support for her NRL star boyfriend, Greg Bird, remains iron-clad.

Speaking exclusively to The Daily Telegraph in her first interview since Bird allegedly "glassed" her in the face at his Cronulla apartment, the 24-year-old New Yorker dismissed reports they were in the middle of a drunken argument when she was injured.

She also insisted she would not stay with Bird if she believed he would intentionally harm her, and maintains he did nothing wrong.

"I can say with certainty that I consider myself an intelligent person. I wouldn't stand by and support somebody who would ever have intentionally hurt me or, in the future, have the potential to hurt me," she said. "And if that's not enough for people, I know that's enough for me in my heart."

For legal reasons, Ms Milligan cannot speak in detail about what happened on the morning of August 24 when she was rushed to hospital with a cuts to her left eye and a suspected fractured eye socket.

But when asked if she had ever felt frightened of Bird, she replied: "No, absolutely not."

She has acted on legal advice in refusing to give a statement about the incident to police, she said. "I understand why people feels they deserve the story of what happened but until, or unless, it comes out in court, it's really a personal matter.

"At the end of the day I was the one there with Greg. There were only two of us in the room and there are only two of us that know exactly what happened and it might stay that way and people are going to have to accept my decision to stand by him. What's most important to me is that my friends and my family support me, and they do."

Ms Milligan said the reports claiming she and Bird were in the middle of a drunken argument when she was hurt were false.

"People think it was the result of some all-night bender but that's not what happened at all," she said.

"I was out with some US friends that I met at school and I slept at their apartment in Bondi while Greg went home to sleep at Cronulla.

"Neither of us were intoxicated - it happened in the morning when I got home. We weren't having some kind of drunken, enraged fight."

Bird, 24, was charged with maliciously inflicting grievous bodily harm on Ms Milligan and an apprehended violence order was put in place by police, ordering him not to approach her.

He was also stood down playing with Cronulla Sharks until the matter is finalised - a move Ms Milligan has deemed "unfair".

After leaving her family and friends behind in New York and moving to Sydney in July, the past three weeks of forced separation from Bird has been especially tough, she said.

"I took a huge leap of faith coming over here and the decision to do that was hard enough on its own, and to now have people questioning my reasons for staying here - that has been a challenge.

I think I figured this out.

maybe she was out all night at a bar with three bronco players in a toilet and greg found out. She came home and he fronted her over it. At that moment a forth bronco burst in with his mobile filming. Greg threw a glass at him and missed. It hit her instead. An accident. no need for standing down by any involved and all is sweet. Ok on with the footy

t1tan

Juniors
"At the end of the day I was the one there with Greg. There were only two of us in the room."

So why try and implicate the flatmate?
No explanation from ms milligan on that one yet,just a lot of p.r fluff

"At the end of the day I was the one there with Greg. There were only two of us in the room."

So why try and implicate the flatmate?
No explanation from ms milligan on that one yet,just a lot of p.r fluff

And hence why Mr Bird must explain himself to the Sharks. This and lying to the CEO.

IMO the pair of them deserve each other. This may be an assault or an accident. Thats not my call to make, but its the stupidy shown after the incident and the blight this stupidity puts on RL in general that pisses me off.

FFS players, grow some brains.

sting

Bench
http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/greg-bird-new-charges/2008/09/29/1222650970757.html

Greg Bird faces mischief charge

Cronulla Sharks rugby league star Greg Bird - accused of hitting his girlfriend in the face with a glass - faces new charges of public mischief and false accusation.
Bird, 24, will face Downing Centre Local Court on October 9 after allegedly hitting American law student Katie Milligan with a glass.
He was charged with maliciously inflicting grievous bodily harm.
"Police have advised the man's legal representative today that additional charges of public mischief and false accusation will be laid when he is due to appear at Downing Centre Local Court on 9 October," police said in a statement.
In Sutherland Local Court last month, police alleged that Bird had initially claimed his flatmate, golfer Brent Watson, was to blame for the assault on Milligan.
Bird had called Watson soon after the incident and allegedly said: "Something has happened to Katie. It was an accident.
"There is blood everywhere in the unit. We have told police it's you. How do you feel about that?"
The court also heard that Bird allegedly put Watson in contact with a solicitor, who told him: "We don't want this matter getting into the media."
Ms Milligan has said she stands by Bird despite the assault charges, saying he had not harmed her and that she still loved him.
She suffered a fractured eye socket and had surgery at Prince of Wales Hospital for glass wounds to her eye.
Bird has also been issued summons to attend court over an alleged assault involving a woman at a nightclub on Cronulla Street in Cronulla on January 19 this year.
Bird was suspended indefinitely by his club Cronulla Sharks after being charged, but publicly pleaded to be reinstated for the team's finals match last weekend after his replacement Brett Seymour was injured.
The club maintained that Bird would not be allowed back until he told officials what occurred in his unit the day Milligan was taken to hospital - a request he has repeatedly refused. Cronulla lost their semi-final 28-0 to Melbourne last Friday and were eliminated from the competition.
Milligan sought unsuccessfully to remove the apprehended violence order imposed on Bird by the charging officers, and has declared her love for the Kangaroos and NSW player since her injury.

There have been some suggestions that Bird will argue he threw a glass object at a wall and shards deflected into Milligan's eye.
with Jamie Pandaram

public mischief?

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/greg-bird-new-charges/2008/09/29/1222650970757.html

Arjun Ramachandran | September 29, 2008 - 3:13PM

Cronulla Sharks rugby league star Greg Bird - accused of hitting his girlfriend in the face with a glass - faces new charges of public mischief and false accusation.

Bird, 24, will face Downing Centre Local Court on October 9 after allegedly hitting American law student Katie Milligan with a glass.

"Police have advised the man's legal representative today that additional charges of public mischief and false accusation will be laid when he is due to appear at Downing Centre Local Court on 9 October," police said in a statement.

In Sutherland Local Court last month, police alleged that Bird had initially claimed his flatmate, golfer Brent Watson, was to blame for the assault on Milligan.

Bird had called Watson soon after the incident and allegedly said: "Something has happened to Katie. It was an accident.

"There is blood everywhere in the unit. We have told police it's you. How do you feel about that?"

The court also heard that Bird allegedly put Watson in contact with a solicitor, who told him: "We don't want this matter getting into the media."

Ms Milligan has said she stands by Bird despite the assault charges, saying he had not harmed her and that she still loved him.

She suffered a fractured eye socket and had surgery at Prince of Wales Hospital for glass wounds to her eye.

Bird has also been issued summons to attend court over an alleged assault involving a woman at a nightclub on Cronulla Street in Cronulla on January 19 this year.

Bird was suspended indefinitely by his club Cronulla Sharks after being charged, but publicly pleaded to be reinstated for the team's finals match last weekend after his replacement Brett Seymour was injured.

The club maintained that Bird would not be allowed back until he told officials what occurred in his unit the day Milligan was taken to hospital - a request he has repeatedly refused. Cronulla lost their semi-final 28-0 to Melbourne last Friday and were eliminated from the competition.

Milligan sought unsuccessfully to remove the apprehended violence order imposed on Bird by the charging officers, and has declared her love for the Kangaroos and NSW player since her injury.

There have been some suggestions that Bird will argue he threw a glass object at a wall and shards deflected into Milligan's eye.

with Jamie Pandaram

DJShaksta

First Grade

with Jamie Pandaram

public mischief?

Ummm, no she didn't.

The assault charges are going to be dropped cos the girl will not testify.
The police are trying to pin something on him.
The whole case has turned comical.

I wonder if they are going to charge with "False Accusation" aswell since she orignally blamed the flatmate also.

Latest posts