What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Bird charged with violent attack

If charges are dropped against Bird, should he return immediately?

• Yes

Votes: 85 50.9%
  • No

Votes: 77 46.1%
  • I don't know/maybe/depends, ie. I'm too weak to have an opinion

Votes: 5 3.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

spider

Coach
http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/greg-bird-in-court/2008/10/09/1223145510517.html

One count dropped as Greg Bird faces new assault charge

Cronulla Sharks star Greg Bird will face a lesser charge of allegedly recklessly wounding his girlfriend Katie Milligan, after Sydney police indicated they would drop the charge of maliciously inflicting grievous bodily harm.

Bird arrived at Downing Centre Local Court today with family members, including his sister and two small children.

His sister, who was holding a baby, later accused the media of attacking her "little brother" and told them to move out of the way.

In court, chief magistrate Graham Henson refused an application by Bird to vary his bail conditions and the conditions of apprehended violence order taken out by police.

Both Bird and Ms Milligan wanted the order to be varied so they could contact each other.

Ms Milligan failed last month to get the order against him revoked.
Ms Milligan, 24, a American law student, ended up in hospital after an incident at Bird's Cronulla apartment, in Sydney's south, on Sunday, August 24.

She suffered cuts and a fractured eye socket after being hit in the face with a glass.

Mr Bird's lawyer, Les Nicholls, told the court today: "The simple fact is Your Honour, there has been no complaint of assault against Mr Bird by the victim.

"The prosecution, even if put to task on the AVO issue ... could not even prove that the parties were in an intimate personal relationship on the facts and material that they have in their prosecution brief."

Mr Nicholls also said that Ms Milligan "has no objections to Mr Bird contacting her".

He added in relation to the law on AVOs: "The suspicion or otherwise of the police involved in this matter don't overwrite the objects of the Act."
Mr Bird told the court through his lawyer that he had come to court "even though I have done nothing wrong, I am prepared for this interim order to continue ... but I just ask to be able to contact her".

Outside the court, Mr Bird said: "I just want to say one thing . . . I strongly deny the allegations being made against me. I love my girlfriend, I never hurt her, never would I ever hurt you."

The court heard that Milligan is currently overseas but had provided an email stating her desire for the conditions to be varied so she could contact her boyfriend.

imasharkie

Coach
Birdie will be part of the Sharks squad next year, IMO.
He is innocent, IMO.
The Sharks need him if we are to win the 2009 premiership.

millersnose

Post Whore
Mr Bird's lawyer, Les Nicholls, told the court today: "The simple fact is Your Honour, there has been no complaint of assault against Mr Bird by the victim.

lol

how much is this guy charging bird

in pretending no crime took place he doesnt call her miss milligan

he calls her the f**king "VICTIM"

brilliant stuff...what a wordsmith

millersnose

Post Whore
police have until November the 6th to formalise charges
case will be heard on the 20th

f**k

this place is spooky

amazingly you predicted the outcome completely accurately only hours after the event and after someone else posted the f**king ENTIRE STORY OFF A NEWS SITE!!!

i am convinced now at all the people in this thread claiming inside info

by the way

i predict that manly will win the 2008 grand final by thrashing the storm

Ausguy

Coach
f**k

this place is spooky

amazingly you predicted the outcome completely accurately only hours after the event and after someone else posted the f**king ENTIRE STORY OFF A NEWS SITE!!!

i am convinced now at all the people in this thread claiming inside info

by the way

i predict that manly will win the 2008 grand final by thrashing the storm

no fuggin way your crazy!!!
oh wait...

Vossy

Bench
whats doing with the "january attack on a girl at a nightclub"? probably a made up the charge to try and pin him for something, since it was supposedly happened in january and we just find out about it when this current crap happened, should just charge him for being a dumb footy player..

he is innocent and they know it, the only charge they can really pin him for is the false allegations

they really do like to draw out these proceedings and make then go forever

Eion

First Grade
whats doing with the "january attack on a girl at a nightclub"? probably a made up the charge to try and pin him for something, since it was supposedly happened in january and we just find out about it when this current crap happened, should just charge him for being a dumb footy player..

he is innocent and they know it, the only charge they can really pin him for is the false allegations

they really do like to draw out these proceedings and make then go forever
If he was innocent why make false allegations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts