What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Bird charged with violent attack

If charges are dropped against Bird, should he return immediately?

• Yes

Votes: 85 50.9%
  • No

Votes: 77 46.1%
  • I don't know/maybe/depends, ie. I'm too weak to have an opinion

Votes: 5 3.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
whats doing with the "january attack on a girl at a nightclub"? probably a made up the charge to try and pin him for something, since it was supposedly happened in january and we just find out about it when this current crap happened, should just charge him for being a dumb footy player..

he is innocent and they know it, the only charge they can really pin him for is the false allegations

they really do like to draw out these proceedings and make then go forever
I asked the question at the start of this saga. Why did the police take over six months to take action on this 2nd alleged incident? Its not like birds whereabouts were a mystery during that time.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
Cronulla Sharks star Greg Bird will face a lesser charge of allegedly recklessly wounding his girlfriend Katie Milligan, after Sydney police indicated they would drop the charge of maliciously inflicting grievous bodily harm.
So lets hope the media do the right thing and stop using this 'glassing' description of the incident which only serves to paint an extremely sinister scenario.

I've seen a guy 'glassed' in the face and it was pretty horrific. The weapon of choice is invariably a schooner glass or similar which break quite easily and into razor sharp shards hardly consistent with Milligans injuries going on the photos published mere days later.

RUBIKS

Juniors
Why, they haven't stopped using the fractured eye statement... :roll:

I think we will find that the mischief charge is in relation to the alleged January assault and not related to the Milligan incident.

Vossy

Bench
If he was innocent why make false allegations?

you would be in a bloody mess to if that same crap happened to you, he paniced and knew the media would crucify him beyond belief, which ended up happening anyway, but the sudden drop of media attention makes you wonder

media is going on hearsay/circumstancial evidence, they wouldnt have a bloody clue what really happened

spider

Coach
you would be in a bloody mess to if that same crap happened to you, he paniced and knew the media would crucify him beyond belief
he claims he is innocent

how would they crucify him had he told the 'innocent truth' at the time

more so if his girl friend told her version of the 'innocent truth'

gunnamatta bay

Referee
Why, they haven't stopped using the fractured eye statement... :roll:

Wasn't any talk of a fracture withdrawn?
I think we will find that the mischief charge is in relation to the alleged January assault and not related to the Milligan incident
I don't know about that. I was under the impression it relates to Mr Watson being nominated as the culprit resulting in police making unnecessary inquiries. I have always been convinced Bird would cop a charge for attempting to pervert the course of justice and it would not surprise me if that happens.

Vossy

Bench
he claims he is innocent

how would they crucify him had he told the 'innocent truth' at the time

more so if his girl friend told her version of the 'innocent truth'

even if the media had the truth, they would of twisted it, its the media where talking about

Eion

First Grade
you would be in a bloody mess to if that same crap happened to you, he paniced and knew the media would crucify him beyond belief, which ended up happening anyway, but the sudden drop of media attention makes you wonder

media is going on hearsay/circumstancial evidence, they wouldnt have a bloody clue what really happened
I must say that I don't feel sorry for birdy in all this vossy. I don't want him crucified for stuff he didn't do, but it seems most likely imo that he still is responsible for a situation where a girl got some serious cuts by his doing (whether intentional or not it still seems reckless and could have resulted in more serious injury). I've never yet come close to personally having to deal with that scenario, and don't know anyone who has.

Still, point taken and i agree that nobody except bird and milligan knows exactly what went down.

spider

Coach
even if the media had the truth, they would of twisted it, its the media where talking about
im not debating the media and what they are capable of - thats a given on any day of the week

i have stressed through this entire thread i did not believe he deliberately glassed milligan as alleged and reported by the media

but i am confused as to why the truth, from either individual has never been told

surely the truth would exonerate an innocent person

Dave Q

Coach
CRIMES ACT 1900 - SECT 35

Reckless grievous bodily harm or wounding
35 Reckless grievous bodily harm or wounding

(4) Reckless wounding A person who recklessly wounds any person is guilty of an offence.
Maximum penalty: Imprisonment for 7 years.
(5) Alternative verdict If on the trial of a person charged with an offence against any subsection of this section the jury is not satisfied that the offence is proven but is satisfied that the person has committed an offence against any other subsection of this section (that carries a lesser maximum penalty), the jury may acquit the person of the offence charged and find the person guilty of an offence against that other subsection. The person is liable to punishment accordingly.

Dave Q

Coach
im not debating the media and what they are capable of - thats a given on any day of the week

i have stressed through this entire thread i did not believe he deliberately glassed milligan as alleged and reported by the media

but i am confused as to why the truth, from either individual has never been told

surely the truth would exonerate an innocent person

Not neccessarily.

You can have what you consider to be a genuine accident in a car and you can still be found to be negligent.

If you make a statement to the cops, it can be used to brick you up with charges you were not aware of.

Best to keep quiet.

RUBIKS

Juniors
think you are right gunna

I stand corrected.

Gunna said:
Wasn't any talk of a fracture withdrawn?

Yes but it hasn't stopped the media from listing it as one of her injuries. Just pointing out that I don't think they will stop using the "glassing" description as you hoped.

Site linked below said:
Ms Milligan failed last month to get the order against him revoked.
Ms Milligan, 24, a American law student, ended up in hospital after an incident at Bird's Cronulla apartment, in Sydney's south, on Sunday, August 24.

She suffered cuts and a fractured eye socket after being hit in the face with a glass.

Mr Bird's lawyer, Les Nicholls, told the court today: "The simple fact is Your Honour, there has been no complaint of assault against Mr Bird by the victim.
Source

spider

Coach
You can have what you consider to be a genuine accident in a car and you can still be found to be negligent.
and rightly so

but bird was not driving a car in his apartment - and milligan was not run over..

If you make a statement to the cops, it can be used to brick you up with charges you were not aware of.

Best to keep quiet.
is there evil loop holes in our justice system to attack the innocent

if guitly yes - he claims he has done nothing wrong, why not both of them tell the truth then

if he can be convicted for wrong doing, then its rightly deserved

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
if he can be convicted for wrong doing, then its rightly deserved

Using tha logic, the computer programmer for Airbus or the pilot of that Qantas plane yesterday, will be jailed for a long time with hundreds of possible charges being laid against them.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
ill put that one in with the car accident one
Why? These guys were reckless &/or incompetent. Same as the woman who drove into the crowd in kogarah & killed the baby. They injured 30 people.

You can't put your own subjective line in place & decide who gets charged for accidents & who doesn't.
You reckon anybody involved with the qantas accident are talking? If they are all innocent of having an accident, why are they all clammed up?

spider

Coach
we can compare different cases all day

either the defendant contributed to milligans injuries, otherwise she would have come out by now and said he didnt

so if he has - he should be accountable for his actions

if he didnt - tell the truth and have it done with and all move on

wat are they hiding by her not giving a statement?

why would their legal team advise her not to issue a statement?

seriously, its a simple case of tell the truth if bird is not repsonsible - why wont they do that

Status
Not open for further replies.