What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Bird charged with violent attack

If charges are dropped against Bird, should he return immediately?

• Yes

Votes: 85 50.9%
  • No

Votes: 77 46.1%
  • I don't know/maybe/depends, ie. I'm too weak to have an opinion

Votes: 5 3.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DJShaksta

First Grade
What do you mean finally??
I am pretty sure this has been a widespread opinion for the last month, regardless of what is said on these forums

coolumsharkie

Referee
If you're referring to Bird, what you think happened and what actually happened is very different.
Prejudging people is a silly thing to do, especially on the papers say so.
I am confident he will be playing with the Sharks next year

I hope your right shint, we have invested way too much time in this bloke to let him go so easily. If he is found not guilty of the major charge and we let him go, I'm going to be pissed.

Inferno

Coach
I hope your right shint, we have invested way too much time in this bloke to let him go so easily. If he is found not guilty of the major charge and we let him go, I'm going to be pissed.

I am happy with whatever the club decides to be honest. Regardless of the legal outcome, you can't say he hasn't tarnished our club with him trying to pressure the club into letting him play with his "let bird play" campaign championed by his girlfriend and mother, while at the same time refusing to even disclose to the club what happened.

samshark

Juniors
as it would be, but i am not basing my comments on media statements or newspaper clippings

Well what are you basing them on then? Because you know very little about this and making a comment such as 'not smash em in the face with objects' just proves that. And it is a stupid thing to say to start with. The only place this (smashing in the face) has come from is the media and they dont let the truth get in the way of a good story.

spider

Coach
so why did milligan not proceed with having the AVO lifted...?

could it may have been becuase she would have had to take the stand - and they wouldn't want that

t1tan

Juniors
Bird facing two separate courts today

9/10/2008 10:14:00 AM. | LIVENEWS.com.au

F_0_GregBird_g_320.jpg

RELATED ARTICLES

NRL star Greg Bird is due to face two courts today over what is believed to be charges of assault against two different women.

Cronulla lock Bird will face a charge of maliciously inflicting grievous bodily harm, as well as charges of public mischief and making a false accusation, in Sydney's Downing Centre Local Court.

Those charges relate to allegations he glassed his girlfriend Katie Milligan in the face, causing a fractured eye socket and cuts to her face, as well as accusations he wrongly accused a friend of the crime.

He is also due to face Sutherland Local Court this morning, over a matter believed to be a separate common assault charge regarding an incident involving another woman in a Cronulla nightclub on January 19 this year.
Bird was stood down by the Sharks for the latter part of the season after being charged by police for assaulting Ms Milligan.

It is believed the NSW and Australian Test representative will be sacked by the club if found guilty of any of the offences.

Qld-Sharkie

Juniors
If you're referring to Bird, what you think happened and what actually happened is very different.
Prejudging people is a silly thing to do, especially on the papers say so.
I am confident he will be playing with the Sharks next year

Hey Shin,
Do you think..... "what actually happened" will ever be made public??

Sorry, gone OT.

samshark

Juniors
so why did milligan not proceed with having the AVO lifted...?

could it may have been becuase she would have had to take the stand - and they wouldn't want that

She tried but as police took out the AVO police have to be the ones who amend/cancel it. Police are supposed to take the victim's wishes into account so I wouldnt be surprised if it gets lifted today. She wouldnt necessarily have to take the stand if police were removing an AVO.

spider

Coach
She tried but as police took out the AVO police have to be the ones who amend/cancel it. Police are supposed to take the victim's wishes into account so I wouldnt be surprised if it gets lifted today. She wouldnt necessarily have to take the stand if police were removing an AVO.
in this case wouldn't it benefit the DPP to not lift the AVO

hence forcing her having to take the stand to remove it?

samshark

Juniors
Hey Shin,
Do you think..... "what actually happened" will ever be made public??

Sorry, gone OT.

Not unless Milligan gets on the stand in the court hearing. But whats to say that whatever she said would be the truth anyway.

This will remain a mystery to the public alongside who killed JFK and the Wanda beach murders.

samshark

Juniors
in this case wouldn't it benefit the DPP to not lift the AVO

hence forcing her having to take the stand to remove it?

The AVO hearings are usually run separately to the criminal charges. e.g. a person can be not charged or found not guilty of assault but the alleged victim still has fears so an AVO would still go forward and be left in place for a year or two.

In this case Milligan could just take the stand in the AVO matter and say 'I love him, we want to be together, I dont fear him, he did nothing wrong, I dont want an AVO' blah blah blah. She doesnt have to explain what actually happened that night.

In my opinion I wouldnt be surprised if his bail and AVO conditions were amended today to allow him and Milligan to see each other if Bird's defence request that. I dont expect the AVO to be cancelled, possibly just altered with standard terms only i.e not to assault, molest, harrass, intimidate etc but people can still see each other.

spider

Coach
In this case Milligan could just take the stand in the AVO matter and say 'I love him, we want to be together, I dont fear him, he did nothing wrong, I dont want an AVO' blah blah blah. She doesnt have to explain what actually happened that night.
ah, ok

that was the bit i was not clear on

i was of the understanding that if she took the stand it would be fair game and then they could question her about the events leading up to the AVO being implemented

cheers for the clarification sam

samshark

Juniors
Its hard to say. It could be 10 minutes if a plea of not guilty is entered, no issues with brief and the matter goes forward to a hearing date.

Will take longer if bail/AVO amendments are made, issues with brief etc. The two new charges will have to be formally added today and possibly the assault charges being dropped. I dont know if the defence has made representations or the DPP has recommended to have the assault charges dropped. The mal. inflict GBH has to go. Aside from lack of evidence her injuries are not GBH.

Anyway, things like this will make it longer.

Quigs

Immortal
Will it take another 50 pages

Ive got sore eyes reading this.

Cheers
Declared Idiot #88
Quigs

millersnose

Post Whore
The AVO hearings are usually run separately to the criminal charges. e.g. a person can be not charged or found not guilty of assault but the alleged victim still has fears so an AVO would still go forward and be left in place for a year or two.

In my opinion I wouldnt be surprised if his bail and AVO conditions were amended today to allow him and Milligan to see each other if Bird's defence request that. I dont expect the AVO to be cancelled, possibly just altered with standard terms only i.e not to assault, molest, harrass, intimidate etc but people can still see each other.

with the new charges of public mischief she is no longer a 'victim' but a witness

Bird could face more charges: court

NRL star Greg Bird may face more charges over the alleged glassing of girlfriend Katie Milligan, while others may be dropped, a Sydney court has heard.
The Cronulla Sharks, Australia and NSW five-eighth was charged with one count of maliciously inflicting grievous bodily harm after allegedly glassing Ms Milligan in the face on August 24 at his Cronulla apartment, in Sydney's south.
Police last month indicated two more charges would be laid against Bird over the incident - public mischief and false accusation.
They stem from the rugby league international's alleged attempt to get his flatmate Brent Watson to take the blame for the attack.
In Sydney's Downing Centre Local Court on Thursday, police prosecutor Peter Stanhope said police intended to lay a charge of reckless wounding against Bird.
However, the charge of maliciously inflicting grievous bodily harm could be dropped.
Mr Stanhope called for an adjournment of the hearing, saying a police brief against Bird had yet to be completed.
The brief would contain alleged text messages between Bird and a witness critical to the charge of false accusation, he said.
Magistrate Graeme Henson adjourned the hearing to November 20 but told police any new charges against Bird had to be filed by November 6.
Mr Henson also declined an application to modify an apprehended violence order placed against Bird by police.
Police took out the order following the alleged glassing incident.
Under the terms of the interim order Bird, 24, is prohibited from making contact with Ms Milligan.
Mr Henson said there was a lack of change in the circumstances surrounding the details of the order.
"It is not an appropriate case. I decline to entertain the application," he said.
© 2008 AAP

http://news.smh.com.au/national/bird-could-face-more-charges-court-20081009-4x70.html

Status
Not open for further replies.