What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Bird charged with violent attack

If charges are dropped against Bird, should he return immediately?

• Yes

Votes: 85 50.9%
  • No

Votes: 77 46.1%
  • I don't know/maybe/depends, ie. I'm too weak to have an opinion

Votes: 5 3.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
and why would he allegedly attempt to shift the blame?
There is/was a lot at stake career wise. We have already heard snippets of information involving Mr Watson and attempts to implicate him in the incident which led to the aforementioned injuries to Ms Miligan. Mr Watson apparently provided a statement. Bird has orders preventing him from contacting Mr Watson. Why would that be?

gunnamatta bay

Referee
because he would be a witness for the DPP

i smell a varmint
exactly. Mr Watson provided a statement. Perhaps in the heat of the moment but he will no doubt be called upon to to give evidence in the witness box. If the cops are not looking at a conspiracy to pervert the course of justice I will be surprised.

I should add it seems the police have not competed their inquiries. On the news tonight they said they are examining birds phone calls after the alleged incident.

Surely

Post Whore
In domestic violence cases isn't it routine for the police not to believe an alleged victims claim it was an accident ?

spider

Coach
In domestic violence cases isn't it routine for the police not to believe an alleged victims claim it was an accident ?
dont know - legislation was amended to protect the victim

surely - in your opinion do you think katie milligan is responsible for inflicting the injuries on herself, whether it be accident or deliberate?

gunnamatta bay

Referee
You would hope that the police would only charge someone based on the evidence they glean from all involved and the crime scene. Anything else is speculation.

Surely

Post Whore
dont know - legislation was amended to protect the victim

surely - in your opinion do you think katie milligan is responsible for inflicting the injuries on herself, whether it be accident or deliberate?

I don't know spider I doubt anyone would do it to themselves, but accidents can and do happen all the time.

I couldn't say one way or the other whether he is guilty or not, thats the prosecutions job and they can't say either apparently.

spider

Coach
I don't know spider I doubt anyone would do it to themselves, but accidents can and do happen all the time.
i agree

and if it were an accident by ones own actions - then admission would exonerate the defendant from the charges and release all the uncalled for stress

but that seems too simple - it may be just my perception

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
The police for some reason seemed to have erred in this situation.
Why is that?
Why did they go for such heavy charges?
What is their agenda?
Now we hear they are protecting people from themselves?
Why don't they concentrate on protecting the people that are asking for protection?
Is it a good career move the high profile cases?

The police for some reason seemed to have erred in this situation.
Why is that?
Why did they go for such heavy charges?
What is their agenda?
Now we hear they are protecting people from themselves?
Why don't they concentrate on protecting the people that are asking for protection?
Is it a good career move the high profile cases?

Come on BTR. You're better than that.

Think, son.

samshark

Juniors
exactly. Mr Watson provided a statement. Perhaps in the heat of the moment but he will no doubt be called upon to to give evidence in the witness box. If the cops are not looking at a conspiracy to pervert the course of justice I will be surprised.

I should add it seems the police have not competed their inquiries. On the news tonight they said they are examining birds phone calls after the alleged incident.

You love this pervert the course of justice one dont you Gunna. I dont think there will be more any more charges, other than the assault changes. The false accusations and public mischief more than cover Bird's alleged actions after the incident. Thats the reason for examining his phone. Need the records to help prove the offence. And yes Watson will be a witness.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
why did the cops rush to charge them & then get it so wrong ?
perhaps Milligan would be making a staement now if bird had not been charged.

samshark

Juniors

I guess you could say that but there is nothing legislated that says you must treat all alleged victims as just that. There are various processes in place that police must follow in DV cases e.g. arrest is the preferred course of action, must apply for AVO.

There is a lot of arse covering that goes on with DV. But before you jump at that, it is something that you have to. You wouldnt want to be the cop that fails to charge a bloke because you think his wife's injury was an accident and then he goes home and kills her. There are so many incidents as it is where the bloke gets out on bail and then goes straight home and floggs his missus again.

samshark

Juniors
why did the cops rush to charge them & then get it so wrong ?
perhaps Milligan would be making a staement now if bird had not been charged.

Thats a very good question Reefy. Quieter station, high profile footy player, would definately get the blood flowing?

Surely

Post Whore
I guess you could say that but there is nothing legislated that says you must treat all alleged victims as just that. There are various processes in place that police must follow in DV cases e.g. arrest is the preferred course of action, must apply for AVO.

There is a lot of arse covering that goes on with DV. But before you jump at that, it is something that you have to. You wouldnt want to be the cop that fails to charge a bloke because you think his wife's injury was an accident and then he goes home and kills her. There are so many incidents as it is where the bloke gets out on bail and then goes straight home and floggs his missus again.

I have no problem with that course of action sam, what i am saying is that is why he was charged and once charged the poor bastard was crucified in the media without any evidence or a trial.

samshark

Juniors
I have no problem with that course of action sam, what i am saying is that is why he was charged and once charged the poor bastard was crucified in the media without any evidence or a trial.

I know you are right. He was crucified. He shouldnt have been charged with the Mal. Inflict GBH straight up. Heavy charge to lay without a victim. Could have always been added at a later date if established.

Status
Not open for further replies.