What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Bird charged with violent attack

If charges are dropped against Bird, should he return immediately?

• Yes

Votes: 85 50.9%
  • No

Votes: 77 46.1%
  • I don't know/maybe/depends, ie. I'm too weak to have an opinion

Votes: 5 3.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

samshark

Juniors
Forget the AVO for a minute. Wonder what his bail conditions are. He's up on serious charges and I would of thought one condition would be that he doesn't leave the country.

Maybe not.

Maybe so just as easily.

There are no bail conditions restricting travel or requiring him to surrender his passport.

shintaro

Juniors
I always enjoyed watching her movie star brother Jon. He always ende up in a sticky situation and would always get it in the end.
Fabulous actor though

Stalefish

Juniors
There are no bail conditions restricting travel or requiring him to surrender his passport.

Thats bullsh*t.

If a judge makes you surrender your passport, thats not surrendering it. Your being ordered to hand it in.

Stupid England language.

samshark

Juniors
What are going on about you idiot.
Your commenting on something you know nothing about.
Police at the time of charging (and magistrates/judges afterwards) can impose bail conditions requiring a person to surrender their passport and that is how it is worded.

fizman

Bench
Forget the AVO for a minute. Wonder what his bail conditions are. He's up on serious charges and I would of thought one condition would be that he doesn't leave the country.

Maybe not.

Maybe so just as easily.

Greatest Analogue multimeter in the world!

spider

Coach
078322933X.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1057194688_.gif

18930030.jpg

gunnamatta bay

Referee
http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/depressed-bird-could-sue/2008/10/18/1223750401810.html

Depressed Bird could sue
Adrian Proszenko | October 19, 2008
EXCLUSIVE

Greg Bird will consider taking legal action against Cronulla for standing him down if he is cleared of assault charges, while his mother revealed he was suffering from depression before the incident.
Bird has taken medication for depression and has had counselling sessions with behavioural analyst Charlie Hunter since he was accused of recklessly wounding girlfriend Katie Milligan.
The former Kangaroos star fled the country to escape the media glare, but has promised his mother and his manager he won't breach his AVO by reuniting with Milligan in the US.
Bird's family has a history of depression and his mother Iris believes he had been battling the condition before the alleged assault.
"Even before all this happened, he had a few problems he needs to deal with," she said.
"He's just not himself. He's not the happy Greg that he used to be.
"I just hope it all sorts itself out and once it's all finished he gets back to doing what he loves doing most, which is playing football.
"We just want everything to be good for him and hopefully he and Katie can sort it out, that everyone lets them get back to their lives."
Iris Bird said she wasn't sure of her son's whereabouts. "I have heard from him, he said everything's OK and that he's with friends," she said. "It's all just getting to him a bit over here and he just wants to get away."
Despite pressure to reinstate Bird for the finals, the Sharks stood him down from all official club activities until the outcome of his court case.
That stance could come back to haunt them, with Bird's manager Gavin Orr warning there may be grounds to sue the club if his client is cleared of charges.
Orr said he understood the club was in a difficult position, pointing to the pressure applied by sponsors. And while he acknowledged the Sharks were providing Bird with counselling and pay - the star pivot earns more than $350,000 a year - he wouldn't rule out legal action if Bird was cleared.
"We're going to look at all the legal avenues," Orr said. "The club has been advised by the board that they were in fear of losing their sponsorship.
"I can cast a stone at the Sharks for the way they've handled things, but you have to understand the pressures on them. First things first, we have to make sure Greg Bird is cleared of all allegations."
Orr took a swipe at the reporting of the case by some sections of the media and claimed defamation action could be an option, believing some rumours had been presented as facts.
"Once the dust settles we'll re-evaluate our situation and go after a lot of the stuff that's going on out there on radio, television and newspapers," he said.
Orr, who claimed "there is no doubt Greg is suffering from depression", admitted Bird hadn't handled the public scrutiny well.
"He's gone from being a star in everybody's eyes, as an Australian and NSW player, to looking like a murderer," Orr said.
Although selectors ignored Bird due to the assault charges, Karmichael Hunt and Darius Boyd were called into Kangaroos' team. The Broncos pair were questioned over an alleged sexual assault but have not been charged.

carcharias

Immortal
the sharks should be helping the bloke out.

Any wonder we never win...why the fug would any bloke want to win it for a club that drops them like a hot turd whenever there is a drama.

Zappia is a soft as that other fat merkin Pierce.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
Why is the club faceless about this?
Why wont the club name & shame the sponsors?
Why won't the directors that are too scared to make the right decision for this "football club" stand up & say , "i'm the scared weird little guy"
When Bird Sues & gets his contract paid out & then a few hundred grand on top, who will own up to this mistake?
Will the members make them accountable?

They won't name and shame the sponsors because they want to keep them. Also they want to retain the possibility of signing future sponsors - which they won't have if they rubbish the ones they have.

I can't see what Bird could sue the club for. Being suspended on pay is pretty standard practice for someone charged with a serious crime. No court would say that is unreasonable in any way. Its not like he's being deprived of his livelihood, quite the opposite. He has also given the club not avenue to reinstate him, because he simply hasn't told them anything. Until something changes, like the court case is finalised, or he gives the club a satisfactory explanation of what he did, there is no reason for them to change his situation of being suspended with pay.

spider

Coach
That stance could come back to haunt them, with Bird's manager Gavin Orr warning there may be grounds to sue the club if his client is cleared of charges.

bird may sue 'if cleared'

FOR WHAT!!

he is on full pay - not playing football is not hurting his credibility - look at his alleged actions for a hint

FMD - and katie still has not told anyone how she sustained her injuries as it was not bird......

how about she tell her acoount of events - that would be an easy f**king way to clear bird wouldn't it...........................

Bird in LA as mates expose his plan

Article from:
By David Riccio
October 19, 2008 12:00am

THE Greg Bird saga is nowhere near over, with the troubled Sharks star surfacing to admit he won't return from the US until next month.
The Sunday Telegraph learned the 24-year-old was en route to Los Angeles yesterday as Bird's team-mates revealed he had explored the prospect of linking with the Roosters.
Bird's back-up plan is the first sign in almost three months that he is resigned to walking away from the Sharks.
"It's a talking point for sure among the boys. He's told a few of us he's had more than just standard interest from the Roosters,'' one senior Cronulla player said.
"He's adamant about it, that he can get a big offer from them.''
Another team-mate added: "Of course, his first priority is to stay at the Sharks, but he reckons he's got no worries he'll get a club.''
Roosters recruitment manager Peter O'Sullivan played down the prospect of Bird moving to Bondi, without fully closing the door.
"Maybe with a clean bill of health, but at the moment there's no chance,'' Sullivan said.
"He can't even play with anybody at the moment. Hopefully two years down the track we've developed our own superstar.''
Bird left for New York last Saturday and is believed to be on his way to Los Angeles.
"He said he was enjoying a holiday ... catching up with a few of his league mates who are also over there,'' one Cronulla player said.
"He said he'd be back early November.''
It's unclear if Bird has come into contact with girlfriend Katie Milligan, which could be a breach of the Apprehended Violence Order against him.
Bird is facing a possible de-registration from the NRL following a string of off-field incidents, culminating in the alleged glassing of his girlfriend, Katie Milligan.
He is due to re-appear in court on November 20, with NRL chief executive David Gallop claiming any decision would not be determined until after the hearing.
"We're monitoring the situation closely,'' Gallop said.
Another option in relation to Bird has emerged with English Super League club Hull, where former Cronulla team-mate Adam Dykes has been released after just 12 appearances.
However, Bird bears no interest in playing overseas.
Man of the match in his Test debut for Australia in October last year, Bird fears any time spent overseas and out of the spotlight will cost him future representative honours.
"Over the past couple of years I've become a NSW and Australian rep so this is where I see my future,'' Bird told The Sunday Telegraph three weeks ago.
"I've got no aspirations to be going anywhere to be honest. I've got to wait and see how everything goes, but I want to stay in the NRL

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,24516942-5001023,00.html

They also have Isaac Luke in there sights does t ever end

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts