What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Bird charged with violent attack

If charges are dropped against Bird, should he return immediately?

• Yes

Votes: 85 50.9%
  • No

Votes: 77 46.1%
  • I don't know/maybe/depends, ie. I'm too weak to have an opinion

Votes: 5 3.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Inferno

Coach
Are peoples thought on whether the sharks should sack him or not influenced by the likelihood of him lining up for another club next year?

If the Sharks sack him, and he's found innocent, you wouldn't think the NRL would have the grounds to de-register him would they?

For me, I reckon he should play with us next year or no one.

sharks8601

Juniors
thats my thoughts. why should he be able to play for another club
if he is found not guilty and we sack him surley he can sue
he should be a shark or go over seas

sharks8601

Juniors
THE Bulldogs last night revealed an interest in troubled Cronulla star Greg Bird.
Bird may now have two NRL options when sacked - as is anticipated - by the Sharks.
The NSW and Australian player allegedly glassed his girlfriend, Katie Milligan, and is due to reappear in court on November 20.
Bird has told friends he has an interest in playing for the Sydney Roosters, and the Bulldogs last night refused to rule out making a bid for the Sharks lock.
"My mail is that even if he is found not guilty, the Sharks may not look to keep him," Bulldogs chief executive Todd Greenberg told The Daily Telegraph. "I don't want to talk about whether they will or they won't (sack him) but we won't rule anyone out.
"I think (Sharks CEO) Tony Zappia has done a good job and Cronulla have done the right thing. We'll let the investigation take its course.
"But I have said in the past, players that come here have to tick two boxes - to be a quality player and quality person. I don't know Greg Bird but he'd need both boxes ticked if we were to consider him. There is still a long way to go - we'll see what happens."
Bird is in Los Angeles after spending time in New York. Before leaving, he told teammates he had explored linking with the Roosters.
Roosters chief executive Brian Canavan denied his club would look to negotiate with Bird but The Daily Telegraph has been told that club recruitment officer Peter O'Sullivan has spoken to Bird's manager Gaving Orr.
"No, never been mentioned," Canavan said.
"I think we are well placed in the positions where he plays, lock and five-eighth."
Zappia was angry at the informal approaches and told rival NRL clubs to back off trying to lure Bird from Toyota Stadium.
"It's disappointing," he said. "I would have thought they would have come through the front door. He is a contracted Cronulla player and at this point in time there has been no decision about his future."
English Super League club Hull may also make Bird an offer. Former Cronulla teammate Adam Dykes has been released from Hull and the club now has money to spend.
However, Bird has told Orr he would prefer to remain playing in Australia.

source: http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,24521512-5007132,00.html

For me, I reckon he should play with us next year or no one.

If the NRL is as serious about keeping the game's image clean, then that has to be the case.

The Sharks have played this exactly as the NRL wants them to - suspended him as soon as there was a sniff of a scandal. If we go ahead a dump him, only to have him line up against us next season, where's the incentive to play clean for the next club that has a troublesome player? Keep him on, tough it out and bollocks to the overall image of the game. Of course the NRL is not noted for its foresight so who knows whether they will actually stop him joinig another club.

They should also be looking at those clubs that are evidently making approaches to contracted players. If he's not fit and proper to play for us, he shouldn't be deemed fit and proper to turn out in the NRL at all.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
If the NRL is as serious about keeping the game's image clean, then that has to be the case.

The Sharks have played this exactly as the NRL wants them to - suspended him as soon as there was a sniff of a scandal. If we go ahead a dump him, only to have him line up against us next season, where's the incentive to play clean for the next club that has a troublesome player? Keep him on, tough it out and bollocks to the overall image of the game. Of course the NRL is not noted for its foresight so who knows whether they will actually stop him joinig another club.

They should also be looking at those clubs that are evidently making approaches to contracted players. If he's not fit and proper to play for us, he shouldn't be deemed fit and proper to turn out in the NRL at all.

Sorry Deano, that is Crap & I will tell you why.
If the NRL & all clubs act similarly to what the Sharks have done, then in a few years time we will end up seeing the weekly player suspended headline.
In the case of Bird, the guy has done nothing wrong & has been suspended due to perceptions & innuendo. This will open the flood gates for the gold digging slautts even further. eg. Slip me 50g's & I wont say you stuck your finger in me.
The NRL & the clubs have to start behaving within the law. They are not a law unto themselves.
Managers will have to start introducing more clauses in the contracts to protect players like Bird from having to sit in limbo, possibly for years for the process to go through.
Now lets say Manly have learnt from what happened this year & how stupidly the Sharks did not play Bird in the finals. It would not take much to cause an incident & recreate the same situation that ruined the Sharks finals hopes this year. & with the staggering amounts of money being wagered, it would add to the possibility.

shintaro

Juniors
The wheels are turning down at the club, ever so slowly but turning they are. If I was a betting man, which I am, I'd be putting a thousand on Bird to play for Cronulla next year.
Regardless of what evryone reckons they know about what happened two things are apparent:
1. Trial by media is alive and well in Australia and the more the papers keep putting stories up about it the more obvious it becomes
2. The cops do not have a case and have painted themselves into a corner, hence the other two trivial charges to try and save face.

shintaro

Juniors
If the NRL & all clubs act similarly to what the Sharks have done, then in a few years time we will end up seeing the weekly player suspended headline.
In the case of Bird, the guy has done nothing wrong & has been suspended due to perceptions & innuendo. This will open the flood gates for the gold digging slautts even further. eg. Slip me 50g's & I wont say you stuck your finger in me.
The NRL & the clubs have to start behaving within the law. They are not a law unto themselves.
Managers will have to start introducing more clauses in the contracts to protect players like Bird from having to sit in limbo, possibly for years for the process to go through.
Now lets say Manly have learnt from what happened this year & how stupidly the Sharks did not play Bird in the finals. It would not take much to cause an incident & recreate the same situation that ruined the Sharks finals hopes this year. & with the staggering amounts of money being wagered, it would add to the possibility.

Spot on

You've misunderstood me mate. I'm not commenting at all on whether the club have done the right thing per se with Bird - what I am saying is that the club has acted in line with what the NRL wants them to do. Given that it looks like we will dump him and the Roosters, Dogs and Manly are hovering to pick up a test 5/8, we will suffer for following the wishes of the NRL.

I agree with you on the potential for false accusation, and the game as a whole has to be very careful that we don't get too far down that road. But then we also have to be aware that the game is not flush with money for a host of reasons, and sponsors tipping in their cash are going to expect to be heard on issues of reputation and image. I think the dollars today ring louder with a lot of the game's leaders than other potential issues down the track.

It comes back to this - either Bird is a suitable player for the NRL or he is not. The club has followed the NRL line on this and so the NRL has to ensure that we do not get whacked for doing so.

Edit: Of course if shintaro is on the money, as he often is, then perhaps it will be solved by us not dumping him at all.

Last edited:

Vossy

Bench
bit slow aren't you? roosters do have HM &SG Ball sides

you can keep bird he's at home with the other dickheads

nope, just believing your club is a joke, drop your 2 rep teams and then suddenly re-instate them. what, dont want to look like you actually steal other clubs juniors :roll:

Danger

Juniors
Its probably my boss taking the p*ss, he reckons Bird has just signed a 2 year deal with the Storm.

Last edited:

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
You've misunderstood me mate. I'm not commenting at all on whether the club have done the right thing per se with Bird - what I am saying is that the club has acted in line with what the NRL wants them to do. Given that it looks like we will dump him and the Roosters, Dogs and Manly are hovering to pick up a test 5/8, we will suffer for following the wishes of the NRL.

I agree with you on the potential for false accusation, and the game as a whole has to be very careful that we don't get too far down that road. But then we also have to be aware that the game is not flush with money for a host of reasons, and sponsors tipping in their cash are going to expect to be heard on issues of reputation and image. I think the dollars today ring louder with a lot of the game's leaders than other potential issues down the track.

It comes back to this - either Bird is a suitable player for the NRL or he is not. The club has followed the NRL line on this and so the NRL has to ensure that we do not get whacked for doing so.

Edit: Of course if shintaro is on the money, as he often is, then perhaps it will be solved by us not dumping him at all.

oh ok, I mis read it.
The NRL will find themselves in very deep water if they prevent Bird from signing with any of those clubs.
eg. Many players go under the radar that get charged with offences.
Where will the arbitrary line be for charges? DRink driving & expelled from the NRL? It is a criminal offence.
An AVO? No offence at all.
etc.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
imo - bird wont be a shark next year....regardless of any outcome

That is correct in my opinion too.
I would imagine Bird has a low opinion of Zapia now along with the sponsor who has caused the damage & any directors involved in his stupid suspension.
Why would he play for people like that? It would be hard turning up to work with the likes of that.
So after all the charges are dropped it will be Birds choice that he will be somewhere else, with the Sharks picking up a significant amount of his wage for the Rorters Dogs or Manly & in return, he wont sue them to the hilt for damages.

sharks8601

Juniors
i think it would be more the board of directors
if ricky had his way he would be still part of the side
i think barry was against the board decision

Dave Q

Coach
Spider has called it.

Too many boardsmen, cadre and sponsers have stuck their necks out now.

He wont be back to Shark city because they wont admit that they have made a mistake. If they do, too much face is lost and they jeopardise their own positions. They have to find something on him.

The interesting thing is that this is not as a result of his guilt or innocence, which remains unresolved, but the web they have already spun, based on an opinion that he was guilty before the police had finalised their enquiries and before a plea or finding of his alleged guilt.

Its dissapointing but he hasnt helped himself since the allegations were made.

And in my book, he is yet to clear his name.

The saga continues....

Last edited:

sharks8601

Juniors
Paul Gallen hopes Greg Bird is allowed to pick up pieces with clean slate

CRONULLA backrower Paul Gallen hopes Greg Bird is remembered for his on-field achievements and not the unsavoury events that might have ended his NRL career.
Gallen spoke out in defence of his team-mate yesterday following reports Bird was resigned to leaving the Sharks and had already explored the possibility of linking with the Sydney Roosters.
The former Test pivot is in the US but must return to Sydney to face court on November 20 on a charge of reckless wounding stemming from an alleged glassing incident with his American girlfriend, Katie Milligan. Bird, who has been caught up in several other alcohol-related incidents since the alleged attack on Milligan, is facing the sack from Cronulla and could be deregistered by the NRL depending on the outcome of the hearing.
"I just wish him well and hope he gets through it all right and gets his life back on track and doesn't get judged on this for the rest of his life," Gallen said.
"As a mate, I just want the best for him and I hope it all works out for him and whatever happens with footy, happens."
Gallen, who played alongside Bird in the Centenary Test against New Zealand in May, said he wasn't banking on retaining his place in the team for Australia's World Cup opener against New Zealand at ANZ Stadium on Sunday.
The Sharks captain faces competition from Manly duo Glenn Stewart and Anthony Watmough, Sydney Roosters' Craig Fitzgibbon and Anthony Tupou, and Gold Coast's Anthony Laffranchi.
"There's definitely competition," Gallen said.
"I was at training yesterday and there's six backrowers picked (in the squad) and there's probably only room for four at the most. It's going to be real tough to get a spot, but there's not much I can do. I've just got to train hard and keep my head down and hope I get picked."
With each country only playing three pool games before the finals, Gallen said it was important for the Kangaroos to get their Cup campaign off to a good start against the Kiwis.
"We have to start off well and hopefully win the first game," Gallen said. "The Kiwis played against Tonga (on Saturday) and played really well and beat them with a pretty big score.
"They're obviously treating this very serious and it's going to be tough."

source: http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,24520557-5012431,00.html

nope, just believing your club is a joke, drop your 2 rep teams and then suddenly re-instate them. what, dont want to look like you actually steal other clubs juniors :roll:

forgetting our junior clubs were stolen from us huh? ... another dickhead with no idea ... i hope bird gets picked up by us and plays for newtown for three years :cool:

sharks8601

Juniors
f**k off you pillow bitting nice person you f**king very well know he would be a walk up start in any nrl club

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.