What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Bird charged with violent attack

If charges are dropped against Bird, should he return immediately?

• Yes

Votes: 85 50.9%
  • No

Votes: 77 46.1%
  • I don't know/maybe/depends, ie. I'm too weak to have an opinion

Votes: 5 3.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vossy

Bench
pfft..roosters cant even field SG ball and Harold matts due to "financial pressure"...and there ceo quit also..yeah roosters can afford you, with a big offer like willie mason

nice try bird

BIRD - depressed, if you just bloody talked to the club and told them what happen, this mess wouldnt have been as bad, its partly your fault bird..

if we end up sacking him, the NRL has to be behind us and deregister him so he can just walk up to another club and get a contract, that defeats the purpose of sacking a player

Dave Q

Coach
pfft..roosters cant even field SG ball and Harold matts due to "financial pressure"...and there ceo quit also..yeah roosters can afford you, with a big offer like willie mason

nice try bird

BIRD - depressed, if you just bloody talked to the club and told them what happen, this mess wouldnt have been as bad, its partly your fault bird..

if we end up sacking him, the NRL has to be behind us and deregister him so he can just walk up to another club and get a contract, that defeats the purpose of sacking a player[/quote]

Yeah I agree, some harsh penalty should be instituted.

But instead of de-registering him, Id make him pay 2 years sgross alary to an orphange or some desperate charity. Re-direct some income from the pockets of designer T shirt wearers, audi and pubs to people who need it. Even a school for wayward teenagers, kids cancer ward.

Then the Rorters can start the season off at -4 points and -50 pts for and against which I call a "Disreputable Player Sacrifice" or DPS.

Turn the negatives into a practical positive.

I'll see how I go with finding the defamation law a bit later.

People love to threaten defamation actions all the time, but they very rarely start these expensive and complex actions.

If you lose it, costs are often horrendus.

People carry on about it because they think it paints them in a favourable light. Most of the time, to me, they look like completely guilty tossers.

Bird of course, remains innocent of all charges etc atm.

Last edited:

Since 73

First Grade
Vossy:

if we end up sacking him, the NRL has to be behind us and deregister him so he can just walk up to another club and get a contract, that defeats the purpose of sacking a player

Absolutely Vossy.

Gallop has to protect the few clubs with the balls big enuff to sack serial offenders.

Fibroman

First Grade
Stupid = yes
Drinking problems = yes
Responsible for the injuries to his GF = yes
Innocent until proven guilty = yes
NSW Court System = farked
Bird will be as free as a bird and back playing and making big dollars in 09.

Dave Q

Coach
Extracts from the Act as forshadowed, enjoy:-

Defamation Act 2005 No 77
Current version for 1 September 2008 to date (accessed 19 October 2008 at 19:59)

3 [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Objects of Act[/FONT]
The objects of this Act are:
(a) to enact provisions to promote uniform laws of defamation in Australia, and
(b) to ensure that the law of defamation does not place unreasonable limits on freedom of expression and, in particular, on the publication and discussion of matters of public interest and importance, and
(c) to provide effective and fair remedies for persons whose reputations are harmed by the publication of defamatory matter, and
(d) to promote speedy and non-litigious methods of resolving disputes about the publication of defamatory matter.

34 [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Damages to bear rational relationship to harm[/FONT]
In determining the amount of damages to be awarded in any defamation proceedings, the court is to ensure that there is an appropriate and rational relationship between the harm sustained by the plaintiff and the amount of damages awarded.

Part 4
bullet_breadcrumb.gif
Division 2
bullet_breadcrumb.gif
Section 25

<< page >>

25 [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Defence of justification[/FONT]
It is a defence to the publication of defamatory matter if the defendant proves that the defamatory imputations carried by the matter of which the plaintiff complains are substantially true.

bit slow aren't you? roosters do have HM &SG Ball sides

you can keep bird he's at home with the other dickheads

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
Stupid = yes
Drinking problems = yes
Responsible for the injuries to his GF = yes
Innocent until proven guilty = yes
NSW Court System = farked
Bird will be as free as a bird and back playing and making big dollars in 09.

can somebody please explain to me how this post is allowed to stay but my hypothetical thread on Bird headlines is removed?

Throw into the deleted post mix, the persistent hypothetical arguments about Milligan not stating how her injuries were obtained are allowed to stay, when at best, they are insinuating collusion & or conspiracy?

eg.

FMD - and katie still has not told anyone how she sustained her injuries as it was not bird......

how about she tell her acoount of events - that would be an easy f**king way to clear bird wouldn't it...........................

can somebody please explain to me how this post is allowed to stay but my hypothetical thread on Bird headlines is removed?

Throw into the deleted post mix, the persistent hypothetical arguments about Milligan not stating how her injuries were obtained are allowed to stay, when at best, they are insinuating collusion & or conspiracy?

eg.

FMD - and katie still has not told anyone how she sustained her injuries as it was not bird......

how about she tell her acoount of events - that would be an easy f**king way to clear bird wouldn't it...........................

It's a forum conspiracy Reefy. Check the gassy noll, the post sharp shoter is really lurking over there.

Fibroman

First Grade

eg.

Look up the Crimes Act 40/1900. Definition of malicious. The words reckless indifference figure in there somewhere. There is little doubt or argument that Birdy boy threw/thrust/jabbed the subject glass. 9/10 jury's will find him innocent. That's the way of the world and the way of our wonderful legal system.

Ausguy

Coach
with stuart, gallen, talipapa and ben ross there's enough dickhead power for him to feel at home

so you are saying you wouldnt want Bird playing in your team? dont lie now... ud fuggin love him he is a great player (a dickhead sometimes... yep fo sho) but ud take him in a second.... just like id take mason as a shark... dont give a fu** abouy his off field sh**.... and i reckon anyone who disagrees is a liar

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
Look up the Crimes Act 40/1900. Definition of malicious. The words reckless indifference figure in there somewhere. There is little doubt or argument that Birdy boy threw/thrust/jabbed the subject glass. 9/10 jury's will find him innocent. That's the way of the world and the way of our wonderful legal system.

Again, this post is allowed to stay, yet a a fictitious headline competition gets removed.
Why are fictitious posts removed yet posts directly blaming guilt or insinuating conspiracy's, like Spiders posts about Milligan allowed to stay?

carcharias

Immortal
didn't she say that she is not allowed to tell the media what happened due to legal reasons?

yes she did.

Maybe that is why she hasn't told her side of the story.

If he is proven innocent he will be able to sue more than just the footy club.
The bloke was absolutley poleaxed by every tv station and radio station.
2SM hung him out to dry ...Geyer and Hughes had him on his way to the gas chamber.
ppfft geyer of all people.

He said all along he didn't do it...he still says he didn't do it and even his wench says he didn't do it ( glassing her on purpose).

spider

Coach
no

for clarification you can choose the PM function

as for that above post you high light, it actually states 'innocent until proven guilty' - its a nice opinion piece imo

eg.

is he charged? - yes

would a statement from her clear him of these charges? - imo yes

sharks8601

Juniors
Bird in LA as mates expose his plan

Article from:
By David Riccio
October 19, 2008 12:00am

THE Greg Bird saga is nowhere near over, with the troubled Sharks star surfacing to admit he won't return from the US until next month.
The Sunday Telegraph learned the 24-year-old was en route to Los Angeles yesterday as Bird's team-mates revealed he had explored the prospect of linking with the Roosters.
Bird's back-up plan is the first sign in almost three months that he is resigned to walking away from the Sharks.
"It's a talking point for sure among the boys. He's told a few of us he's had more than just standard interest from the Roosters,'' one senior Cronulla player said.
"He's adamant about it, that he can get a big offer from them.''
Another team-mate added: "Of course, his first priority is to stay at the Sharks, but he reckons he's got no worries he'll get a club.''
Roosters recruitment manager Peter O'Sullivan played down the prospect of Bird moving to Bondi, without fully closing the door.
"Maybe with a clean bill of health, but at the moment there's no chance,'' Sullivan said.
"He can't even play with anybody at the moment. Hopefully two years down the track we've developed our own superstar.''
Bird left for New York last Saturday and is believed to be on his way to Los Angeles.
"He said he was enjoying a holiday ... catching up with a few of his league mates who are also over there,'' one Cronulla player said.
"He said he'd be back early November.''
It's unclear if Bird has come into contact with girlfriend Katie Milligan, which could be a breach of the Apprehended Violence Order against him.
Bird is facing a possible de-registration from the NRL following a string of off-field incidents, culminating in the alleged glassing of his girlfriend, Katie Milligan.
He is due to re-appear in court on November 20, with NRL chief executive David Gallop claiming any decision would not be determined until after the hearing.
"We're monitoring the situation closely,'' Gallop said.
Another option in relation to Bird has emerged with English Super League club Hull, where former Cronulla team-mate Adam Dykes has been released after just 12 appearances.
However, Bird bears no interest in playing overseas.
Man of the match in his Test debut for Australia in October last year, Bird fears any time spent overseas and out of the spotlight will cost him future representative honours.
"Over the past couple of years I've become a NSW and Australian rep so this is where I see my future,'' Bird told The Sunday Telegraph three weeks ago.
"I've got no aspirations to be going anywhere to be honest. I've got to wait and see how everything goes, but I want to stay in the NRL

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,24516942-5001023,00.html

They also have Isaac Luke in there sights does t ever end

Another great piece of journalism
How are the media still allowed to get away with this rubbish. There sources are ?one senior Cronulla player? what complete utter rubbish and is typical sh*t that this paperin particular have served up time after time. The media have an agenda against bird and like Carch said have hung him out to dry from the very start
I hope bird does sue the media. Start with Wilson and wielder

Status
Not open for further replies.