What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Bird charged with violent attack

If charges are dropped against Bird, should he return immediately?

• Yes

Votes: 85 50.9%
  • No

Votes: 77 46.1%
  • I don't know/maybe/depends, ie. I'm too weak to have an opinion

Votes: 5 3.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome back popper ,and thanks to yerself and coolum for putting things into the proper perspective!... I wouldnt waste spit on women bashers.Ive probably worked and played with a few over the years,but never lost any sleep worrying about it,because Im not a judge or jury over someones innocence or guilt of such things. So until such time as someones proven to be such, keep it out of the workplace,off the football field etc.
Anyway I look forward to putting the whole sorry saga into the past and getting on with 2009.

Dave Q

Coach
Rugby League is the `Greatest Game of All', held back by the conflicting self-interests of officials. Unfortunately, the problems for the game have been magnified and exasperated ever since the involvement of lawyers, probably beginning with the Tutty Case after 1969. In the case in question (and others) it seems the term from English law `Innocent until PROVEN guilty' does not apply any more. I just shake my head in bewilderment. The way I see it, if the girl doesn't want him charged, don't charge him. But that's not politically correct, Popper! Shame on you.

How the fug is it the lawyers fault?

The government writes the law, the court interprets it.

Lawyers are about the only people who still champion the notion of "Innocent until proven guilty"

Thats a nuisancce principle for the administrators of justice in this country.

The cops often want convictions, thats their job.

In heaps of cases, the bashed girl wants to withdraw etc, that doesnt mean the offence didnt happen and vulnerable women ( or men) shouldnt
have to cop a beating several times over because they are later threatened by their useless pissed dickhead partner who thinks domestic violence is OK.

Well its not OK and as a society, by the law, we dont accept it.

And anyone who does think its Ok needs counselling or some first hand experience of this insidious and vile crime.

If a bonehead wants to hit someone, he can take up boxing to vent his frustrations but usually these guys are cowards who like to pick a fight against a less able opponent. These wife and husband beaters are sick-minded a***oles. Thats why we have AVO's, thats why they go to gaol and thats where they belong.

If Birdy done the crime, he should do the time and/or also get some professional help.

Shame indeed!! :D

Last edited:

imasharkie

Coach
Rugby League is the `Greatest Game of All', held back by the conflicting self-interests of officials. Unfortunately, the problems for the game have been magnified and exasperated ever since the involvement of lawyers, probably beginning with the Tutty Case after 1969. In the case in question (and others) it seems the term from English law `Innocent until PROVEN guilty' does not apply any more. I just shake my head in bewilderment. The way I see it, if the girl doesn't want him charged, don't charge him. But that's not politically correct, Popper! Shame on you.

I'm with you on this Popper - "Innocent until proven guilty".

I'm really worried about all these reports about Birdie talking to other clubs. Our club should step in here and put other clubs on notice - he's signed to us for 5 years, typical f**king Rorters trying to stitch him up and the Dogs ( we gave them Noddy FFS).
I'll be pizzed if we let Birdie go.

Eion

First Grade
I'm with you on this Popper - "Innocent until proven guilty".

I'm really worried about all these reports about Birdie talking to other clubs. Our club should step in here and put other clubs on notice - he's signed to us for 5 years, typical f**king Rorters trying to stitch him up and the Dogs ( we gave them Noddy FFS).
I'll be pizzed if we let Birdie go.
By all reports Birdy won't talk to our club - yet he manages to talk to others???

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
The entire case is going to collapse within weeks.
Every charge dropped.
they are now checking his Ipod for illegal downloads to try & find some charge. Anything.

samshark

Juniors
The entire case is going to collapse within weeks.
Every charge dropped.
they are now checking his Ipod for illegal downloads to try & find some charge. Anything.

You know thats not true Reefy, this case will proceed to a hearing hopefully in December but probably more like January. Whilst I dont agree with the handling of the case the charges in place now are not going to be dropped. Personally, I think he will get off on the assault charges (rightly so) but will struggle to beat both the Public Mischief and False Accusations charges.

As for the Common assault in January, its a bullsh*t charge. From what I know, if you are going to charge Bird with this, the girl involved should have been charged as well.

I just hope that the board doesnt have an attitude that if he is found guilty on anything then he is gone. I mean there are plenty of other players with clubs who have been convicted of offences and not sacked and Bird really has been punished enough already for the couple of mistakes made.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
As for the Common assault in January, its a bullsh*t charge. From what I know, if you are going to charge Bird with this, the girl involved should have been charged as well.

I'm still wondering why it took six months to charge him. Did she only go to the police when she heard of other incident or was the 'inquiry' sitting somewhere gathering dust. As previously stated it's not like Bird's whereabouts were unknown.

Samshark if this case was ignored for so long as it seems wouldn't the officer involved be leaving himself open to a neglect of duty charge?

samshark

Juniors
I'm still wondering why it took six months to charge him. Did she only go to the police when she heard of other incident or was the 'inquiry' sitting somewhere gathering dust. As previously stated it's not like Bird's whereabouts were unknown.

Samshark if this case was ignored for so long as it seems wouldn't the officer involved be leaving himself open to a neglect of duty charge?

So am I!!
Gathering dust. Look I dont know the reasons so it wouldnt be fair to comment but I do know the complaint was made at the time and not six months later. Its a bloody big coincidence that as soon as Bird hits the dock for allegedly glassing his girlfriend (as everybody was making out at the time) the paperwork suddenly gets completed and he is served with this charge as well.

You cant really get charged for neglect of duty as you did in years gone by. Its all handled by a Complaints Management System. For something like this the victim could generate a complaint that the officer hasnt followed things up, it would obviously be investigated and if the officer is found at fault would face managerial action and/or some sort of work performance. You would only get charged these days with engaging in criminal conduct, excessive force etc

Last edited by a moderator:

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
You know thats not true Reefy, this case will proceed to a hearing hopefully in December but probably more like January. Whilst I dont agree with the handling of the case the charges in place now are not going to be dropped. Personally, I think he will get off on the assault charges (rightly so) but will struggle to beat both the Public Mischief and False Accusations charges.

I just hope that the board doesnt have an attitude that if he is found guilty on anything then he is gone. I mean there are plenty of other players with clubs who have been convicted of offences and not sacked and Bird really has been punished enough already for the couple of mistakes made.

Just telling you what I heard. I made up the bit about the ipod.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
So am I!!
Gathering dust. Look I dont know the reasons so it wouldnt be fair to comment but I do know the complaint was made at the time and not six months later. Its a bloody big coincidence that as soon as Bird hits the dock for glassing his girlfriend (as everybody was making out at the time) the paperwork suddenly gets completed and he is served with this charge as well.

You cant really get charged for neglect of duty as you did in years gone by. Its all handled by a Complaints Management System. For something like this the victim could generate a complaint that the officer hasnt followed things up, it would obviously be investigated and if the officer is found at fault would face managerial action and/or some sort of work performance. You would only get charged these days with engaging in criminal conduct, excessive force etc
Interesting. A female victim but apparantly no domestic relationship. Yet still a vunerable female victim left out to dry while her alleged attacker had no restrictions placed on him for six months. What if he did in fact attack her and got wind of her complaint and decided to finish the job? Yet no one seemed interested. Maybe it's a weak case but the media attention has done it's job.

samshark

Juniors
it may come down to whether bird wants to play for us again

Has always said he loves the club, loves Sticky, is popular amongst the players and where else would he get his $350k next year. Surely any differences with Zappia could be worked out. I mean I am not really buying into that there's a supposed big problem there now. No one here knows what has been talked about behind closed doors between them.

Status
Not open for further replies.