What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Bird charged with violent attack

If charges are dropped against Bird, should he return immediately?

• Yes

Votes: 85 50.9%
  • No

Votes: 77 46.1%
  • I don't know/maybe/depends, ie. I'm too weak to have an opinion

Votes: 5 3.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

samshark

Juniors
Interesting. A female victim but apparantly no domestic relationship. Yet still a vunerable female victim left out to dry while her alleged attacker had no restrictions placed on him for six months. What if he did in fact attack her and got wind of her complaint and decided to finish the job? Yet no one seemed interested. Maybe it's a weak case but the media attention has done it's job.

Weak case. Non domestic

The Popper

Bench
It's probably long before your time, Dave. But many years ago things were done with a handshake (or sometimes a bitta biff behind the sheds). I believe the involvement of lawyers in the game has complicated most matters and taken League to areas it had never been before (and probably should never have gone). It's a damned shame. The first major involvement I recall is the Tutty case, and they've had their fingers in the honey pot ever since.......Super League, judiciary, off field incidents, etc, etc, (the list never seems to end). Why, even Gallop is a lawyer. But still, it's happening in most other walks of life too. Most politicians are lawyers and they now write laws to cover just about every aspect of life. I'm surprised they haven't written laws limiting the amount of breaths we can take. I used to believe that the law was about justice. I've come to see it isn't. :cry: The law is really about making money for lawyers. :shock: All that said, I guess you could say that Player Managers have their fingers in the honeypot too.

Eion

First Grade
Interesting. A female victim but apparantly no domestic relationship. Yet still a vunerable female victim left out to dry while her alleged attacker had no restrictions placed on him for six months. What if he did in fact attack her and got wind of her complaint and decided to finish the job? Yet no one seemed interested. Maybe it's a weak case but the media attention has done it's job.
I reckon the old case was always weak. It seems likely bird knew about it and maybe the cops gave him a chance by sitting on it. After the Milligan incident all bets were off.

Dave Q

Coach
It's probably long before your time, Dave. But many years ago things were done with a handshake (or sometimes a bitta biff behind the sheds). I believe the involvement of lawyers in the game has complicated most matters and taken League to areas it had never been before (and probably should never have gone). It's a damned shame. The first major involvement I recall is the Tutty case, and they've had their fingers in the honey pot ever since.......Super League, judiciary, off field incidents, etc, etc, (the list never seems to end). Why, even Gallop is a lawyer. But still, it's happening in most other walks of life too. Most politicians are lawyers and they now write laws to cover just about every aspect of life. I'm surprised they haven't written laws limiting the amount of breaths we can take. I used to believe that the law was about justice. I've come to see it isn't. :cry: The law is really about making money for lawyers. :shock: All that said, I guess you could say that Player Managers have their fingers in the honeypot too.

Your view is the equal of mine popper, but the reality is that the govt hates lawyers because lawyers bring them and their servants to account for their wrongs before the court.

And Joe Fahey Bob Carr introduced a lot of anti-lawyer legislation and cut peoples legal rights. just ask a modern day compo or a car accident victim. You get jack most of the time and lawyers costs are limited.

Lawyers are very important to the justice system because their are so many laws and governments etc.

lawyers dont get paid by the government unless they work for them so they have to charge people fees. It takes awhile to become a lawyer and then several years to master a few areas.

Doctors fees get paid and compensated for by the government but to exercise your legal rights is a real financial struggle. I agree that this aspect of it is wrong, but goevernments dont care. As I said, like doctors, they dont people who can challenge theri authority.

If the law was so lucrative, lawyers wouldnt be going broke all over the place and students wouldnt be electing to study business and accounting etc. Ive heard its a very tough job.

Maybe you could do some more reading up on the three arms of government.

Some informal biff may be Ok with consent but we cant have anarchy Popper. People are using knives and guns these days to hurt their family and spouses. The cops clean up the mess and we throw them in gaol to let the prison guards deal with the mess. BTW they are protesting next week. We should all be supporting them for the maintenance of their wages and conditions. Notwithstanding my differences with some of them, at the end of the day, they have a tough and unusal job and the government wants to rip them off.

Cheers.

Last edited:

Eion

First Grade
Your view is the equal of mine popper, but the reality is that the govt hates lawyers because lawyers bring them and their servants to account for their wrongs before the court.

And Joe Fahey Bob Carr introduced a lot of anti-lawyer legislation and cut peoples legal rights. just ask a modern day compo or a car accident victim. You get jack most of the time and lawyers costs are limited.

Lawyers are very important to the justice system because their are so many laws and governments etc.

lawyers dont get paid by the government unless they work for them so they have to charge people fees. It takes awhile to become a lawyer and then several years to master a few areas.

Doctors fees get paid and compensated for by the government but to exercise your legal rights is a real financial struggle. I agree that this aspect of it is wrong, but goevernments dont care. As I said, like doctors, they dont people who can challenge theri authority.

If the law was so lucrative, lawyers wouldnt be going broke all over the place and students wouldnt be electing to study business and accounting etc. Ive heard its a very tough job.

Maybe you could do some more reading up on the three arms of government.

Some informal biff may be Ok with consent but we cant have anarchy Popper. People are using knives and guns these days to hurt their family and spouses. The cops clean up the mess and we throw them in gaol to let the prison guards deal with the mess. BTW they are protesting next week. We should all be supporting them for the maintenance of their wages and conditions. Notwithstanding my differences with some of them, at the end of the day, they have a tough and unusal job and the government wants to rip them off.

Cheers.
Ask Keddies how tough they're doing it Dave. Granted lawyers serve a purpose and not all are remunerated properly but forgive me if I leave the violin in the case - there are still a hell of lot getting a bunch of money and sometimes at the expense of the victims you refer to

Dave Q

Coach
Ask Keddies how tough they're doing it Dave. Granted lawyers serve a purpose and not all are remunerated properly but forgive me if I leave the violin in the case - there are still a hell of lot getting a bunch of money and sometimes at the expense of the victims you refer to

Thats pretty extreme.

Most of the lawyers are small time suburban practitioners with big hearts and pretty modest salaries.

Ask the insurance companies how much they made last year Eion.

A hell of a lot more than the lawyers.

Ever tried to make a claim mate? They'll get no tears from me.

That still doesnt shake off my point that Popper has it back the front.

Its very easy to generalise...except when it comes to insurers..they are the ones drinking champagne from the patients bed-pans.

Last edited:

Delboy

First Grade
Given that there is a problem with Zappia, I suggest you should dump him immediately in favour of jail Bird and send Zap straight back to Parramatta where he belongs and would be welcome.

Us poor westies would be glad to accommodate the hobbits eishes.

Frenzy.

Post Whore
Delboy said:
Given that there is a problem with Zappia, I suggest you should dump him immediately in favour of jail Bird and send Zap straight back to Parramatta where he belongs and would be welcome.

My eish is your command.

sharks8601

Juniors

where do you think kellyville is you pencil dick prick

Dave Q

Coach
where do you think kellyville is you pencil dick prick

About 3 km North-west of my place.

I visit it to see how the young couples are going who paid $500,000 for a small Mcmansion house with no garden.

To its south, large pockets of land have been released and are waiting to be developed. But none of the companies are interested in developing it because they have to pay so much in taxes and contribute to power and sewer costs.... put up with the hassle of building something.....in the middle of a recession.....it just doesnt make any economic sense.

On the way home, brand new modern day terraces are up for sale at ridiculous prices and nobody is buying those either. Theres about 20 all in a row and only one is occupied.

In the meantime, the number of homeless and poverty stricken people in greater Sydney is increasing.

It all doesnt make much sense.

Much like Birdy's matter.

Surely

Post Whore
About 3 km North-west of my place.

I visit it to see how the young couples are going who paid $500,000 for a small Mcmansion house with no garden.

You have to look on the bright side dave, at least they don't need a lawn mower. Thers a good saving there.

Dave Q

Coach
You have to look on the bright side dave, at least they don't need a lawn mower. Thers a good saving there.

They are not allowed to have front fences or have too much concrete out the front so they still have small lawns. About 1 metre of grass around the side and a bit of lawn out the back unless they have a small pool.

So I think they still have to buy a Viking or a Victa, but they dont use it much.

A number have "grey water" tanks and loved to show off their watery hoses during the water recession we had to had.

I suppose they got sucked into the real estate trash talk during the 2002-2006 period. Now the govt has canned the north west rail link for the indefinite future because it wasnt able to sell off a public assett and so congestion is getting worse on the arterial roads and the motorway becomes a parking lot well before and after peak hours at $4.40 one way
which is bothering people. Thats the price of an adult general admission into the footy every two days.

I guess some of them are would-be yuppies, Kellyville is supposed to be some sort of Vaucluse of the West... and maybe its good to see them brought back down to earth a little bit.... but its not good to see them struggling as hard as they are.

Apearances are very deceptive. Inside the houses they are arguing about money all the time. Grarage sales are on the increase.

All the dog wash and Jim vans are dissapearing.

Since Birdy's career is just about over no matter what happens, he might want to start a relationship counselling business out here.

Then again, there might be a few questions asked about his credentials!

samshark

Juniors
Since Birdy's career is just about over no matter what happens, he might want to start a relationship counselling business out here.

Then again, there might be a few questions asked about his credentials!

I dont think so Dave. If sacked by us there will be a string of clubs both here and overseas lining up with offers. He will be lining up in round one somewhere next year and if in Australia will be back playing rep footy not long after. This time next year this debacle will just be a bad memory for Bird.

Dave Q

Coach
I dont think so Dave. If sacked by us there will be a string of clubs both here and overseas lining up with offers. He will be lining up in round one somewhere next year and if in Australia will be back playing rep footy not long after. This time next year this debacle will just be a bad memory for Bird.

You could have something there Sam...

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
Meanwhile, just a few police stations away this happened.

In the first incident, just before midnight, a 24-year-old Croydon Park man was allegedly hit several times across the face with a bottle and punched during an argument with another man at an Oxford St nightclub.

The injured man was taken to St Vincent's Hospital and received eight stitches to close a gash to his forehead.

A 20-year-old Lane Cove man was arrested and charged with reckless wounding. He has been granted conditional bail to appear at Downing Centre Local Court on November 17
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,24550644-421,00.html

So we have an attack, witnesses, a complaint & a charge.

Now can somebody please tell me how the Bird incident is not a stitch up?
Re:grievous bodily harm! no witnesses, no police diary entries, no compaint.
FMD !! What a difference a police station makes?

Hanscholo

Bench

If he is convicted he will never play RL in this country again. He will play overseas no doubt, but if it goes bad for him in court hes f**ked.

Status
Not open for further replies.