What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Bird charged with violent attack

If charges are dropped against Bird, should he return immediately?

• Yes

Votes: 85 50.9%
  • No

Votes: 77 46.1%
  • I don't know/maybe/depends, ie. I'm too weak to have an opinion

Votes: 5 3.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Q

Coach
What do mean threaten Goz? His contract will either be terminated or not. Anyway its not as simple as you say. If Bird is found guilty on the assault the club has little choice but to terminate his contract and Bird could possibly be looking at jail time, though I highly doubt it.

Personally, I think he is at long odds to be found guilty on the assault and rightly so. What concerns me is that if he is found guilty on one of the lesser bullsh*t charges then the club still sacks him anyway and I dont think thats right. The club has been harsh in its treatment of Bird to date. He should have been reinstated when certain things came to light. So even if convicted of say the Make False Accusation I hope the club gives him another chance. I mean for f**k sakes a guy like Ben Roberts has been convicted of drink driving, assaulting police and been involved in other incidents and yet still plays for the dogs. There are/have been players out there convicted of offences and not sacked so its not as if the club would be going out on a limb by not sacking Bird.

As for where things stand at the moment, who knows. I have had a bit of contact with the CEO and he assured me that the club was waiting and letting justice do its cause before making a decision.

If you feel strongly about this I dont think boycotting games next year will help. It will be too late by then. Write to the club, write to the CEO, write to the chairman. Tell them how you feel, make a good intelligent argument for Bird not to be sacked. If enough fans contact the club they have to take our opinions into consideration.

They made their decision when they decided he should be suspended earlier.

Making a False Accusation is as offensive to people as any other charge, worse, because nobody likes being falsely accused themselves, its easier to relate to.

What happens to other players isnt relevent at all, each case is determined upon its merits.

People are getting used to not having him around and if the sharks push him off the NRL will make sure no-one is around to break the picket and scab him back into the NRL.

If a viewer wants him back, its probably OK to write to the CEO but not many are able to present and logical reason as to why he should be re-instated and and secondly, CEO's and the board dont care for such things.

They do care about money, power and the club's good name and I dont Bird cant satisfy their desires on his ownsome. Maybe his connections can.

But I'd say that the Bird era at the Sharks is well and truly over.

Some of my copper mates ( unconnected to the events) think hes nothing more than a dumb thug and that he deserves to get some time. They say hes done the wrong thing by the sharks and their fans.

Last edited:
Some of my copper mates ( unconnected to the events) think hes nothing more than a dumb thug and that he deserves to get some time. They say hes done the wrong thing by the sharks and their fans.

I'd say that some of your copper mates aren't real smart then Dave.

I had over 18 years as a copper and f*cked if I can see what he has done wrong to be gaoled for just yet. All allegations at this stage - the maor charges that is. As for the other 'tagged on' charges, well, enough said. In 18 years I only ever saw charges similar to this laid once.

So he deserves time for being a dumb thug? The media and our club write him up one of the bash brothers and yet he should be put away. If you're going to throw him gaol for doing the wrong thing by the club and fans, then there'd be a few more to join him.

Vossy

Bench
as usual, broncos players get off due to insufficient evidence to charge them on but the bird saga continues, the only difference, milligan has physical injuries, where as the broncos girl doesnt have physical injuries

as usual, broncos players get off due to insufficient evidence to charge them on but the bird saga continues, the only difference, milligan has physical injuries, where as the broncos girl doesnt have physical injuries

If that's the only difference you see you need a new pair of coke bottle glasses bro.

Bird still hasn't manned up either.

If I copped the "how do you feel about that?" I'd probably feel differently about the "tacked on charges" to the vocal minority here. But I guess I'm weird.

Vossy

Bench
both cases have insufficient evidence

bird case - female has physical injuries
broncos case - female doesnt have physical injuries

evidence is circumstancial and hearsay and cant be proven

this has nothing to do with wether bird has been a man about it or not

shark_fin_soup

Juniors
Do people seriously think bird is a big loss? Sure he has had some great games for us after years of average performances. But at the end of the day, he was an average 5/8, a fairly good lock but a deadset tosser.

The team made the gf qualifier without him and the team roster is even stronger this year. Either way, i don't really care if bird is in the sharks colours next year.

Ausguy

Coach
Do people seriously think bird is a big loss? Sure he has had some great games for us after years of average performances. But at the end of the day, he was an average 5/8, a fairly good lock but a deadset tosser.

The team made the gf qualifier without him and the team roster is even stronger this year. Either way, i don't really care if bird is in the sharks colours next year.

shark fin i kinda tend to agree... the only deal breaker for me is how we spend the money... if its to extend simmos contract then fmd that'l do me im outta here.

Inferno

Coach
both cases have insufficient evidence

bird case - female has physical injuries
broncos case - female doesnt have physical injuries

evidence is circumstancial and hearsay and cant be proven

this has nothing to do with wether bird has been a man about it or not

That's really for the prosecution and court to decide, and as yet that hasn't happened with Bird

Danger

Juniors

They must have had a crack sale down at your local store yesterday, Bird is our best player, end of story.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
surely by now the police have served a full brief of evidence on Bird's legal team for them to peruse. I for one would love to see it's contents.

Status
Not open for further replies.