What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Bird charged with violent attack

If charges are dropped against Bird, should he return immediately?

• Yes

Votes: 85 50.9%
  • No

Votes: 77 46.1%
  • I don't know/maybe/depends, ie. I'm too weak to have an opinion

Votes: 5 3.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Inferno

Coach
TROUBLED NRL Sharks star Greg Bird has returned to Sydney solo after holidaying in the US - the home of girlfriend Katie Milligan.

Bird is still facing charges of recklessly wounding Ms Milligan after she was hospitalised in a glassing incident on the morning of August 24.

He is due to face court next week.

Looking relaxed and tanned after his two-week visit, Bird said he had "a great trip".
"We went everywhere," he said.

However he refused to comment on whether he had actually seen Ms Milligan. If he did come into contact it could be a breach of the Apprehended Violence Order against him.

Under the terms of the AVO he can still be charged with breaching the order once he returns to NSW.

Reiterating the pair's determination to stay in a relationship, he did admit Ms Milligan remained in the US for now.

“Katie is still over there, she’s enjoying time with her family," he added.

Bird said he had been training on his own in preparation for the next NRL season.

He is facing a possible de-registration from the NRL following a string of off-field incidents, culminating in the alleged glassing.

Legal opinion was mixed about whether meeting Milligan in the US would constitute a breach of an AVO issued in Australia. A spokesman for the Attorney-General said it would be up to the police to pursue such a matter but two senior officers said they believed it would be outside NSW jurisdiction.

Bird's NRL club has suspended him indefinitely pending the upcoming court case.

Yesterday, Bird said he was looking forward to the next season and had been spending time training "on his own".

Link

Dave Q

Coach
Its pretty hard to climb back into Bird since I learnt of Surely's loss.

I need a few days off this thread to sort it.

Frenzy.

Post Whore
Do people seriously think bird is a big loss? Sure he has had some great games for us after years of average performances. But at the end of the day, he was an average 5/8, a fairly good lock but a deadset tosser.

The team made the gf qualifier without him and the team roster is even stronger this year. Either way, i don't really care if bird is in the sharks colours next year.

hmmmm. On the strength of it and from a point of view of immediacy he's a big loss.

However, how long has it taken Bird to get where he is footy wise. He's played 106 NRL games. I suppose he started senior rep football after about 80 games.

Compare to Bakuya. 2 NRL games and a world cup. He's 19. At 19 Bird was being gifted games based on potential. I don't recall Bird showing as much as Bakuya is at the same age.

Maybe he's not a long term loss after all.

Inferno

Coach
How many players with heaps of potential never make it though.

I'd take a bird in the hand over two in the bush (no pun intended)

IMO, only way this couldn't be a loss (if we loose him) is if we use his money to buy someone of equal standard.

Last edited:

sharkadelic

Juniors
Proven Guilty or not, talented or not. He lied to the club and is proving a PR liability. The Bird has to be set free. Surely lying to the club regarding a police investigation would be enough to terminate his contract?

F***ing shame.

Then again we paid out Raper And Anderson for ineptitude so Bird will prolly get the golden handshake

gunnamatta bay

Referee
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/11/20/2424819.htm?section=justin

Bird assault charge dropped

Posted 21 minutes ago

Prosecutors have dropped the charge of maliciously inflicting grievous bodily harm against rugby league star Greg Bird.
The Cronulla player was charged with the offence after an alleged assault on his American girlfriend Katie Milligan in August.
The decision to drop the charge was made while Bird appeared in Sydney's Downing Centre Local court this morning.
He still faces charges of reckless wounding, public mischief, and making false accusations.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
As predicted.
Now what the cops are doing is going to drag it on & on dropping each charge as they go. Time heals all wounds & should prevent somebody from losing their job, unfortunately.
They will be all dropped &/or Bird will be proven innocent.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
Now the issue that the Sharks & the NRL will have to deal with is what grounds do they have.

Is Reckless Wounding worse than Assault?? If no, then what are they going to with the Pomm?

Is public mischief worse than Drink Driving?

The other wildcard is what is happening with the Alleged night club incident?

carcharias

Immortal
reckless wounding, public mischief, and making false accusations

Who hasn't done one if not all of these?

well the reckless wounding thing I may have not done...does putting a boogie boarder in hospital count?

Status
Not open for further replies.