What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Bird charged with violent attack

If charges are dropped against Bird, should he return immediately?

• Yes

Votes: 85 50.9%
  • No

Votes: 77 46.1%
  • I don't know/maybe/depends, ie. I'm too weak to have an opinion

Votes: 5 3.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Inferno

Coach
In Zap's defence he spoke to Bird and was told it was all a big misunderstanding or whatever. Based on that information he decided it would be best to confront the rumours, and if, as Bird had said it was all just a big misunderstanding, it all would have been fine.

If he had been told from the start there was an issue and Bird couldn't talk about it, I very much doubt he'd have fronted the media.

Dave Q

Coach
David ........ It is time to move on.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/11/23/2427302.htm

Cheers
Declared Idiot #88
Quigs

Dearest Quigs, I hope youre still on the wagon like me.

Theres a few things in footy I cant seem to forgive and forget Quigs. Hell Ive tried and everything like that.

Heres just a few ( in no particular order):-

1. The obvious.
2. Matt Ridges "knees tackle" on that Illawarra guy after he scored.
3. Delaney's feely squirrel grip on the Lowe lad last year.
4. Anasta's choke on poor Dave Fa'alogo.
5. The penalty try given against Ainscough. He so didnt deserve it.
6. Willie Masons wrong signature on that kids book.
7. Riley's back-scrunch on Wing.
8. The sad but accidental destruction of Ashley Harrisons AC ligament. I know it was accidental, but it destroyed him as a player. He had left Souths by then and I should have hated him. But I didnt. He was in terrible pain, they thought he wouldnt walk again. It took him months and months to get back. He's a freak.

As a general rule, Ive usually respected the Sharks discipline on the feild, they arent usually dirty by nature ( they were in the old days), well no more than any other club anyways.

I know to a lot of people here, think these things above were good and wholesome, part of the rich tapestry of the game. We are all different, I understand that.

But to me, apart from life's usual bumpy road, these terrible rugby league evils still depress me no end.

I remember now, McIndoe, that was the Illawarrs guys name. That was shocking. I was ready to belt ridge myself.

I'll never get over any of them.

Good topic to consider outright Quigs so wd. Deserves a thread "Footys worst moments" of '100 years of sheer league evil"

People love unhappiness, most of the media have trained us in that sad art.

Sony are indebted to the league for all the extra tellys sold after a particularly nasty televised league incident.

Accedited idiot #142.

Last edited:

Frenzy.

Post Whore
I doubt Zappias media profile is high enough for that Surely. I mean, for the cops to take such a concerted effort in trying to bring him down

Maybe the constabulary want Bird bad. Maybe due to other things other than the Gilligan incident. The nightclub incident for example. Perhaps even other things that have never seen the light of day.

Maybe in the course of the Zappia thing the cops see the chance for leverage against Bird. Get Zappia onside maybe. Make something else go away in exchange. Why the fugg would Zappia be a prosecution witness? Was he in the flat with Bird and Gilligan? What can he possibly know?

I find it strange this girl with the black eye from a bit of horseplay bothered to get photos etc etc. Not the type of actions of someone copping it on the chin. How did that go away so seemingly easily?

This whole thing is starting to stink. Badly.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
yes senior frenz.
Just remember, the first GBH 1 case in Australias history for an alleged spousal attack where the spouse did not press charges.

PJ

First Grade
Why the fugg would Zappia be a prosecution witness? Was he in the flat with Bird and Gilligan? What can he possibly know?
Sticky is a prosecution witness as well isn't he? Do the cops have something on him as well or will they just be called to corroborate that there were porkies being told about who was in the flat?

Frenzy.

Post Whore
Sticky is a prosecution witness as well isn't he? Do the cops have something on him as well or will they just be called to corroborate that there were porkies being told about who was in the flat?

Dunno Peej. Hadn't heard about RS being a witness for the Pros. myself but why not? The more the merrier.

All along though there has been conjecture and confusion as to why Bird wouldn't talk to Zappia. There's obviously a trust issue there stopping that happen. There shouldn't be but there is. That's what makes it look on the nose.

Up until now a lot of us have been wondering WTF Bird just doesn't come clean. How could he when the man demanding this is a witness against him and now we find out he has his own demon

Sus.

PJ

First Grade
May well be suss but surely if he has an issue with Zaps he could take it up with another member of staff.

Whole thing is suss but I don't think his refusal to talk to Zappia was that suss, just careful planning by his legal team.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
http://stgeorge.yourguide.com.au/news/local/news/general/sharks-decide-on-bird/1368547.aspx

Sharks decide on Bird
BY BRAD FORREST
25/11/2008 4:00:00 AM
LEAGUE player Greg Bird's playing future and his $1.5 million contract with the Cronulla Sharks is expected to be decided by next week.
Sharks chairman Barry Pierce yesterday said that he would call a meeting of the board of directors to decide the matter, in spite of Bird's court case not due to resume until April next year.
Cronulla stood down the international player on full pay over the alleged glassing of his girlfriend, Kate Milligan, at his Cronulla unit in August last year.
Last week, the prosecution formally dropped the more serious of the charges, maliciously inflicting grievous bodily harm with intent, but the remaining charges, including reckless wounding, assault and two counts of lying to police, will be heard when a three-day trial begins on April 27.
Bird's manager Gavin Orr said yesterday that Bird was prepared to wait until after the court proceedings to have his future with Cronulla decided.
However Pierce, in Byron Bay yesterday for the annual NRL conference following Saturday's World Cup final, indicated that the club was keen to settle the matter sooner, rather than later.
"Our board will be taking legal advice on the matter, before meeting, sometime next week,'' he said.
"We're not keen on having the Bird matter unresolved until April.''
Bird is contracted to the Sharks for four years, on about $365,000 a year, and has continued to be paid despite being stood down from all training and club activities, as well as playing, since August.
Zappier gets full support
Sharks chairman Barry Pierce said chief executive Tony Zappia, at the centre of an incident regarding club community development officer Jenny Hall, has the "strongest support'' of the board and staff.
Hall is on stress leave, on full pay, and has sought legal representation over the matter.

Inferno

Coach
dead set.

were paying him not to do anything? all for something that may or may not have happened.

get him back training atleast. then if he's found not guilty hes ready to go on the field.

what a waste of cash!

samshark

Juniors
So it looks like the future of Greg Bird will likely be decided at a board meeting next week. And if Barry is getting legal advice before hand I'd say its not looking good for Bird, not that that is anything new.

So Reefy and co. its time for action. There's no point continuing to beat your drum on this forum cause at the end of the day its going to make squat difference. So if you dont agree with certain things, want Bird retained, want Bird sacked, want to say something else, whatever then get your pen out and write to the club.

As a voting member and ticket holder and probably someone who knows a bit more about this matter than most I wrote to the board last week to voice my opinion and put across some points. And for those who think its a waste of time I say rubbish. I have always had replies and constructive feedback whenever I ve written and this was no different.

A club has to at least listen and consider its members especially a club like the sharks who cant afford to piss off too many people.

RUBIKS

Juniors
So Reefy and co. its time for action. There's no point continuing to beat your drum on this forum cause at the end of the day its going to make squat difference. So if you dont agree with certain things, want Bird retained, want Bird sacked, want to say something else, whatever then get your pen out and write to the club.

A club has to at least listen and consider its members especially a club like the sharks who cant afford to piss off too many people.

Couldn't agree more.

Though I am interested in who others are choosing to email in order to get their point of view heard?

Dave Q

Coach
Yeah its good to get involved. I always get a response from Richo when I write to Souths.

Whatever my prejudices and personal animosity towards Bird, If I was a sharks fan, Id probably write to the club and suggest that he be retained.

If only to see the outcome of the case later.

If I was writing to the club Id consider arguing the following:

He's been vilified in the press and suffered enough public and private punishment....all while still being of accused status.

He's unlikely to re-offend and as far as I know, has abided by all the court's and clubs orders.

Hes been a bit silly being seen at games, but Id say this was stupidity rather than bad intent.

If he is sacked and later found innocent, whoose to say that he wouldnt sue the club.

Elliot saved his job at the Panthers care of an emotional address to the board, Bird should have as a minimum the opportunity to be heard. He cant say everything, but if its his submission that he will keep his head down and do his best, and he accepts some probabtion or special terms, then he should be retained for the moment.

If he gets sacked, he hates the sharks and takes off to play for somebody else.

If he goes to ESL, they would double his salary.

Wheres the justice for the sharks in that outcome?

The best interests of the sharks would be to get him back into training and prepping. Try to get squeeze some kind of positive out of it. I know its expensive and uses resources etc but hey he's next to useless at home watching the Aussie cricket team get thrashed over this summer.

Having said all that, I think he's going to be sacked no matter what and thats what this meeting is all about.

As soon as it was called, the writing was written on the wall.

But people should nonetheless express their views on this important topic .

Two and a half thousand comments here on LU deserves to manifest itself where it actually counts!

Someone should email the entire thread, theres been some diamonds in the rough here and there.

Last edited:

Dave Q

Coach
I hope barrys legal advice is sound.

The sharks have totally fugged this up from day one.

Rest assurred Barry will take the advice, it will probably be wrong, because only a court or commission can really determine whether his sacking is fair and reasonable, after hearing all the evidence and analysing his contract and the legal cases, nuances and idiosyncracies associated with it.

Its going to be a punt one way or the other.

But at least Barry can lay blame the mistake on the lawyers.

And if they do fug up, Birdy will be out to crucify them but his manager who has to deal with the sharks in the future, might be able to reign him him.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts