What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Bird charged with violent attack

If charges are dropped against Bird, should he return immediately?

• Yes

Votes: 85 50.9%
  • No

Votes: 77 46.1%
  • I don't know/maybe/depends, ie. I'm too weak to have an opinion

Votes: 5 3.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RUBIKS

Juniors
I love club, Bird tells Cronulla
GREG BIRD has broken his silence on his playing future as Cronulla officials prepare to decide his fate, declaring: "I love the club."
Bird's career in the NRL is likely to be decided this week when he is summoned to address the Sharks board. The Australian star has been stood down from playing or training since August after being charged with the alleged assault of his girlfriend, Katie Milligan.
The 24-year-old was initially charged with maliciously inflicting grievous bodily harm but that was downgraded to reckless wounding. He also faces charges of public mischief and making false accusations.
Bird has been ordered to attend a three-day court hearing beginning on April 27 but the Sharks want the matter finalised as soon as possible and are likely to call a board meeting to resolve the matter this week.
While Bird could command top dollar in the English Super League if he was forced out of the NRL, he said his top priority was to stay in the Sutherland Shire.
"I love the club," Bird told The Sun-Herald. "I wouldn't have signed a five-year deal if I didn't plan on staying for the entirety of it."
The Sun-Herald understands the Sharks board is split on the matter. While some members have a definite stance on the issue, it's believed others could be swayed depending on a recommendation from coach Ricky Stuart, who is close to Bird.
Bird said he would accept whatever decision was handed down.
"It's up to them," he said.
"I've got to face their decision and take it from there."
Bird's manager, Gavin Orr, said the ball was in the Sharks' court.
"Everything has been set out there and it's a matter of us now catching up [with the club]," he said.
The Sharks have lurched from one crisis to another recently. Following the Bird affair, there have been reports about the club's parlous financial state, assault allegations against chief executive Tony Zappia and the Stuart dramas at national level.
The Sharks have already been linked with Tim Smith, a sign they might be making contingency plans should Bird be sacked. But the former Parramatta halfback confirmed he was committed to seeing out his contract with Wigan.
Wigan coach Brian Noble was confident Smith would take his place with the Warriors next year.
"He certainly hasn't asked for a release," he said. "I've spoken to him four times since I've been [in Australia] and I'm confident he'll be with us."
Source

SharkShocked

Bench
I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm not so convinced that he is gone.

Unless there is a clause in his contract in regards to his behavior what foot does the club really have to stand on to sack him. Keep in mind, we cannot afford to keep paying off people that we have sacked.

And, if there was a strict clause in his contract in regards to player behavior, would we not have heard it come out in the media by now?

Either way whatever the club does, it will have negative effects. Either with the public, or with the supporters...

samshark

Juniors

Unless there is a clause in his contract in regards to his behavior what foot does the club really have to stand on to sack him. Keep in mind, we cannot afford to keep paying off people that we have sacked.

And, if there was a strict clause in his contract in regards to player behavior, would we not have heard it come out in the media by now?

Either way whatever the club does, it will have negative effects. Either with the public, or with the supporters...

All the players have those terms in their contract about behaviour and bringing the club into disrepute. Thats is how they can be sacked.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal

he is gone.
His only hope is if the board room split that apparently exists, will have the numbers to tell the sponsors to go & get royally farked .
At the very least the Sharks should be pushing for some very big favours from the NRL in compensation for their directive to sack him.

samshark

Juniors
So what happens in the board room? 9 directors. If its a 5-4 vote to keep Bird does Bird win then. Do we think it will be as simple as that.

PJ

First Grade
All the players have those terms in their contract about behaviour and bringing the club into disrepute. Thats is how they can be sacked.

But if he is found in a court of law to be not guilty how can the club and the NRL say he is responsible for him bringing the club into disrepute when he would have been found to not be legally responsible for it?

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
So what happens in the board room? 9 directors. If its a 5-4 vote to keep Bird does Bird win then. Do we think it will be as simple as that.

I'm not sure if Baz has veto power or casting vote power etc. If that was the case it is hard to say what will happen if he is kept.
It will be a purely financial decision on least amount of loss for the Sharks. I hope its a lesson well learnt on the dangers of some sponsorhip.
I wonder if the Good guys really are good guys? Maybe their organisation is run by a man?

Status
Not open for further replies.