What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Bird charged with violent attack

If charges are dropped against Bird, should he return immediately?

• Yes

Votes: 85 50.9%
  • No

Votes: 77 46.1%
  • I don't know/maybe/depends, ie. I'm too weak to have an opinion

Votes: 5 3.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

samshark

Juniors
But if he is found in a court of law to be not guilty how can the club and the NRL say he is responsible for him bringing the club into disrepute when he would have been found to not be legally responsible for it?

I guess all the negative publicity thus far. How many times has Bird being in the news, in the paper on the front page etc The club will say things like that reflect badly on the brand.

A mate of mine is studying law at the moment and has recently completed contractual law and he reckons it is pretty straight forward in terms of showing how an employee has brought an organisation into disrepute and that Bird doesnt have much of a leg to stand on.

PJ

First Grade
I understand that Samshark, but if a court of law finds that he is not guilty of the crime he is accused of, which is what all the disrepute stems from, then couldn't Greg's legal team argue that why should his lucrative contract be terminated for something he didn't do. If he is not legally responsible for the root cause how can he be responsible for the negative press? Surely that is something he has no control over.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
Bird may had a few things swept under the carpet PJ. I would guess they already have enough without this incident. & that is an unsubstantiated guess only.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
if he beats the assault charges he still has the false allegations concerning Mr Watson the golfer. That alone will be hard to beat imo if they have a solid case which it seems to be.

this they may deem enough to sack him.

Ausguy

Coach
its a very simple equation... whats more important to the sharks... sponsorship money? and the look of doing the right thing? or Greg Bird playing with the future potential of more trouble...

answer . he is gone.

PJ

First Grade
I can just see us getting stuck with a huge payout.

Personally I would be playing him, and making an announcement that since the very serious charge of malicious wounding has been dropped down to reckless (as I have said before imo this takes it from something intentional to accidental) that Greg is free to re-join the club pending the results of the court case.

That way they have an out, and can be seen to let the court system have its way without pre-judging as much. Time it right with holidays and cricket and most of the interest will be long gone by the time football comes around again.

Let Bird know also that they expect him and his girl to kick in with the positive pr once the case is heard.

samshark

Juniors
if he beats the assault charges he still has the false allegations concerning Mr Watson the golfer. That alone will be hard to beat imo if they have a solid case which it seems to be.

this they may deem enough to sack him.

True but then why havent they done it already.
The thing is if the hearing was set down for next month at the Downing Centre then they wouldnt even be having this board meeting to detrmine his future. But because the first three day window is not until April they now decide they dont want to wait until then. Thats just bullsh*t if you ask me.

I didnt expect it to be as long as April but then again I didnt expect a three day hearing as well. But if Bazza is in regular contact with the local police then he should have known what was coming

samshark

Juniors
I can just see us getting stuck with a huge payout.

Personally I would be playing him, and making an announcement that since the very serious charge of malicious wounding has been dropped down to reckless (as I have said before imo this takes it from something intentional to accidental) that Greg is free to re-join the club pending the results of the court case.

That way they have an out, and can be seen to let the court system have its way without pre-judging as much. Time it right with holidays and cricket and most of the interest will be long gone by the time football comes around again.

Let Bird know also that they expect him and his girl to kick in with the positive pr once the case is heard.

You cant do that PJ, there is far too much common sense in that approach.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
True but then why havent they done it already.
The thing is if the hearing was set down for next month at the Downing Centre then they wouldnt even be having this board meeting to detrmine his future. But because the first three day window is not until April they now decide they dont want to wait until then. Thats just bullsh*t if you ask me.

I didnt expect it to be as long as April but then again I didnt expect a three day hearing as well. But if Bazza is in regular contact with the local police then he should have known what was coming
his last appearence was only the other day and a date set for a hearing in april so I guess they now want to make their final decision which is some time this week. Surely he has been served by now.

Jim Barnett one of our directors is a criminal lawyer I wonder if Bird would have shown him the police brief of evidence.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
No, that has not been made available to Bird. Only random people from a sporting club are able to view & hear about that.

He should have been served with it by now. If Barnett was allowed to go over it he could report to the board his opinion on it's strengths or weaknesses.

It would also be intersting to know if Zaps and Stick made statements.

Sticks will have to get used to this sort of thing after a former high ranking police officer was served with summonses on Friday by PIC.

PJ

First Grade
Tell the NRL that if they want him sacked to have the balls to come out and say it themselves.

Spineless organisation.

Also tell them that fine, but you ensure that he doesn't play for anyone else for the entire length of the contract he has with us and indemnify us against any litigation from Bird and his manager.

Inferno

Coach
Tell the NRL that if they want him sacked to have the balls to come out and say it themselves.

Spineless organisation.

Also tell them that fine, but you ensure that he doesn't play for anyone else for the entire length of the contract he has with us and indemnify us against any litigation from Bird and his manager.

I think that's an excellent point PJ. Puts the heat firmly on the NRL rather than us which is fair.

I think there will be plenty of pissed shark fans if Bird is sacked, then ends up playing against us next year.

Special K

Coach
If he is going to be sacked and has had his papers stamped for such a long time why have we kept him on full pay?

Why didn't we fire him back in september? What a waste of money for such a "broke" club.

Keep the bird!!

sharknows

Bench
Just heard on 2KY news that "Warrington are favourites to sign him after he is sacked by the Sharks this week"....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts