What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Bird charged with violent attack

If charges are dropped against Bird, should he return immediately?

• Yes

Votes: 85 50.9%
  • No

Votes: 77 46.1%
  • I don't know/maybe/depends, ie. I'm too weak to have an opinion

Votes: 5 3.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

coolumsharkie

Referee
He turned out to be a great footballer.

He was already a merkin, he had an issue with his American Girlfriend one night.

It got bloody, accident, or malice, or intent, or self abuse,

No one will ever know.

I think we are better off without Greg Bird, I think we miss him on the padddock....

The Popper

Bench
Greg Bird, I think we miss him on the padddock....
Think we miss him??????????????????? I'm bloody sure we do. I could almost guarantee that with Bird still playing for us we would be in the eight and probably much higher. Maybe we would not even be going through the pain we currently are at the moment.
Still, we must please the sponsors, mustn't we. We can't have a person like that playing for us, can we? We'd be much better off without him, wouldn't we? The sponsors would much rather us lose all our games than have him playing for us, wouldn't they. Yeah, all that and pink might fly??????????????????????

Bad luck plus bad management decisions = our current situation.

millersnose

Post Whore
bump

one for the classic threads

207 pages

what a ripper

sex, violence, bush lawyers, evil women, reefy on a soapbox

its got everything

gunnamatta bay

Referee
http://www.smh.com.au/news/lhqnews/ben-defends-cousin-cahill/2009/06/18/1244918139587.html
Bird flies in

JUST as the Sharks hoped the flood of bad publicity they have endured was about to end, the club's former Test star Greg Bird has arrived back in Sydney for his sentencing hearing next Monday on charges of recklessly wounding his girlfriend, Katie Milligan, and lying to police. Bird, who was found guilty of both charges in April, will miss Catalans' home match in Barcelona against Warrington this weekend but the French Super League club has already indicated they will stand by him even if he receives a jail sentence.

samshark

Juniors
Well I hope for his sakes his lawyers do a better job with his sentencing that they did with his defence. I'd be a bit worried Mr Bird. Hope you like green.

Bird's lover in plea for leniency

Harriet Alexander | June 22, 2009 - 11:39AM

Greg Bird's girlfriend has written him a character reference to persuade a court to give him a lenient sentence for recklessly wounding her in an incident at his Cronulla apartment last August.

But his friend Brent Watson, who the former Sharks player originally told police was responsible for the cuts to Katie Milligan's face and eye, has described him as "selfish", the Downing Local Court heard today.
Bird will be sentenced for reckless wounding and false accusation after 2pm today.

He has been found guilty of hurting Ms Milligan with a broken glass at his Cronulla apartment in August last year.
They had been arguing after she returned late from a night out.
The prosecution is calling for him to serve time in jail.
But Bird's lawyer, Les Nicholls, told the court that he had not hurt Ms Milligan intentionally and had not caused her lasting damage or disfigurement.
The pair now lived together in France.

"I would ask your honour to accept the reference from the victim that at no time has Greg Bird ever intended ... to hurt her and it was out of character," Mr Nicholls said.
A good behaviour bond or community service order would be more appropriate, he said.

But the police prosecutor, Peter Stanhope, said Bird had not shown any concern for Mr Watson, whose reputation he was prepared to damage in an attempt to avoid police charges and the media attention they would bring.

Mr Watson had described Bird as "a selfish person whose only concern was his football career and the Sharks", Mr Stanhope said.
The magistrate, Roger Clisdell, has reserved his decision on the sentence to this afternoon.

Bird was found guilty of reckless wounding and false accusation in April by the same magistrate, who said he had lied about how his girlfriend had turned up at hospital bleeding from her eye.
He pleaded guilty to public mischief.

http://www.smh.com.au/leaguehq/articles/2009/06/22/1245522769014.html

Feej

First Grade
que magnay if he gets a light sentence....
She'll be in for her bit no matter what sentence he gets.

buzzards.jpg

Vossy

Bench
soon to be someones b!tch, 16 months max, 8 months non parol..of course, he will be appealing, bail has been granted

millersnose

Post Whore
lol

one of the most physically fit and hardest men in the prime of his life with a career in the hardest contact sport in the country - in the forwards

i am unsure if many will be brave enough to ask him for his sugar

i remember when tyson went to jail and the laughable claims that he would be somes 'bitch' as well

carcharias

Immortal
um...

maybe I am weird but why would you want Mike Tyson or Bird to be your bitch?

Hindmarsh or Beau Scott I could understand but Bird?..no way.

Since 73

First Grade
Least some things will still be familiar in his new life - such as taking it up and hand on the ball.

spider

Coach
one of the most physically fit and hardest men in the prime of his life with a career in the hardest contact sport in the country - in the forwards

i am unsure if many will be brave enough to ask him for his sugar
they wont ask politely for it millers

birdy is not that big

and besides, big difference between tyson and bird, as tyson use to inflict pain on men.........most of the time

Dave Q

Coach
Samshark provided some good insights on the matter yesterday.

Mr Bird is appealing against the finding of guilt and the severity of the sentance.

It seems to me that the gaol term is well within the range.

Personally, I dont think gaol is going to help him or the community very much other than as a deterrent to the players and public at large.

In the event that the finding of guilt is upheld, if its possible under the law, I would commend the court to consider the following:-

A bond:-

1.The defendent to undertake rehabilitation and treatment for alcoholism under the care of a psychiatrist for a period of no less than 2 years as monitored by probabtion and parole.

2. The defendant to undertake 2000 hours of community service as directed by probabtion and parole.

3. The defendant to pay the victims medical costs as well as the costs of the crown as agreed or assessed.

4. The defendant to submit himself to regular but unnounced drug and alchol testing for 2 years. If found to be under the effectsof drugs or alcohol, the balance of the prison term to be reinstated.

5. A fine of $55,000 to be donated to womens refuges.

In this way, Bird and the wider community can be helped and the wrong attempted to be put right.

Call me a bleeding heart, but it is apparent that Bird doesnt present as a risk to the community unless he is drunk and its his alcohol abuse that is the issue here as much as anything else.

Otherwise, he gets out of gaol, gets drunk and may do bad things. The problem is not really resolved.

Objectively, gaol presents as the least cosntructive of the sentancing management options in this instance. It may scare a few rowdy players, sell papers and satisfy the less thoughtful in the community, but there are better, less costly and more effective options available for the long run.

Last edited:

macnaz

Staff member
bla bla bla, He has too sh*tty a past record for slap on the wrist punnishments as you suggest. And as for him being king in there lol @ that, he wont be in there with women dont forget.

RgSharks

Juniors
bla bla bla, He has too sh*tty a past record for slap on the wrist punnishments as you suggest. And as for him being king in there lol @ that, he wont be in there with women dont forget.

What are you talking about?
What past record?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts