What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Bird charged with violent attack

If charges are dropped against Bird, should he return immediately?

• Yes

Votes: 85 50.9%
  • No

Votes: 77 46.1%
  • I don't know/maybe/depends, ie. I'm too weak to have an opinion

Votes: 5 3.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SadShark

Bench
It's hard to have an opinion until all the facts have been presented. Looks like Monday 1st September we'll know a lot more.

In the meantime, the fact's are;
Assault in Bird's Apartment
Kate Millington, Greg Bird's girlfreind has fractured eye socket after assault
A 24-year old man has been charged & arrested
No bail was given, due to the seriousness of the assault.

How much should this affect the team? It's up to the players now to dig in & win the premiership no matter what. Think back to their best performance against a quality side in Canberra. No Bird in that game and we smashed em.

Easy for me to say but reality is, they've got a job that they're paid well to do. Now get out there & win it.

Firstly, I hope Kate has a full recovery and her sight is ok. I understand she's to have surgery this morning.

Secondly, Bird you are an absolute knob head, you had the world at your feet but you're not 10 foot tall and bullet proof.

Game over.

Quigs

Immortal
Don't worry about questioning whether you rip up his contract or not, let him play until the court date is set or not.

Sticky and Zapps should front Bird, ask him if he did or didn't do it.

If he says yes - rip up his contract in front of him.

If he says a definate NO it wasn't me I wasn't there - then give him his time in court.

But I am sick to death of this politically correct world crap. If he did it - tell his coach and his club and his team mates that he did it - tell it their faces.

Then the club should do the honourable thing.

Its simple in simple mens language.

If he then wants to fight it tooth and nail before the court of law - fine - do it. But don't do it at your clubs expense.

Cheers
Declared Idiot #88
Quigs

Jimbo

Immortal
Jimbo there is a higher a charge Malicious wounding!!! and you don't get 25yrs for GBH.

33 [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Wounding or grievous bodily harm with intent[/FONT]
(1) [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Intent to cause grievous bodily harm[/FONT]
A person who:
(a) wounds any person, or​
(b) causes grievous bodily harm to any person,​
with intent to cause grievous bodily harm to that or any other person is guilty of an offence.</SPAN>

Maximum penalty: Imprisonment for 25 years.

Vossy

Bench
we have no idea what exactly happen, you cant trust the media and there record isnt exactly top notch when reporting incidents involving league players

innocent till proven guilty...just hope we dont cut him for this..cause wtf would he glass his new girlfriend..he isnt wayne carey

*hope she is alright and doesnt suffer any long term damage

Last edited:

sladden road

Juniors
does anyone have any word about a responce from the club..a press conference or a statement...
anyword on bsb or the like..
really gutted as a sharks fan.. a league fan and a man..
wtf is wrong with these KIDS???
darkest day for the club since Sludge was rubbed out of the game by the dogs...and his untimely passing.
wHAT A SELFISH EGGHEAD..
poor girl coming over from the US for this.
What a f**ked year for league...we are watching a game sadly sadly in decline and its death throws..I agree with QUIGS ..win one soon sharks..CAUSE I FEEL THE GAME IS ON ITS WAY OUT...and this fuggn obsession with MONEY and two bit celebrity worship of our culture is to blame...sh*t day sh*t act sh*t.

bluespots

Juniors
ok. firstly if he did do it then there is no excuse i understand that.. BUT lets not forget who we are baseing our opinions on, media allegations. lets face it the media have never been the biggest fan of mr bird now have they?? they're rubbing their hands together that they can write stories about one of the biggest "thugs" in the game and they have never been ones to let the truth get in the way of a good story.
all i am saying is that none of us kno what happened so before we all wash our hands of the kid lets find out what really happened cos im sure it cant be as bad as what it is being made out to be. i find it very hard to believe a guy with the rugby league world at his feet and obviously so much passion for his club would go to his appartment at 7.30 in the morning, smash a bottle and tear out his girlfriends eye just cos he could.
i mean the bloke has done some very stupid things both on and off the field, and call me neive, but i really dont think the guy is THAT stupid, or that much of an arsehole..
i want to wait til i hear his and the clubs side of things before i pass judgement on the poor bloke.

Ausguy

Coach
i cant fuggin believe it....

i hope he feels like sh*t... he has hurt a poor young girl.... he has hurt his fellow players, the club, his fans and most importantly himself his family and friends.

i defended him in a thread somewhere with gregos last night who was writing him off... i made a mistake. Gregos is intouch with him for sure after quoting something about raising a glass to him???

Birdy your a disgrace i just hope the club deals with it swiftly to save us some face...

gutted for our season.... you moron!!!! FUGG!!!

Vossy

Bench
dont go cutting your wrists................yet, where basing our guttedness and anger based on media reports, who trusts the media when it comes to league players,i for one, dont trust the media, they have been known to target bird and others

not downgrading the seriousness of the situation but we dont know the full story, just going on what the media has been saying, i find it hard to believe it when they say it happened at 7:30am, very strange..

hope she is alright and she can tell her side of the story when she is able to, and bird should be suspended till the court hands down its decision and not let this distract the rest of the team from wiping the floor with the tigers and the cowboys

*INNOCENT TILL PROVEN GUILTY*

Cletus

First Grade

Jenkins
(19)
NSW CCA [412]
19.12.2006GBH / GBHVG5y
NPP 2y 6mCrown ADGlassNilDate of offence: 3.10.2004 – Female – pushed glass into right eye of complainant during confrontation in night club – no provocation – severe injuries
Difficult childhood – depression - remorse
Heron
NSW CCA [215]
26.7.2006GBH / GBHVG7y 6m
NPP 5y 6mAA
7y
NPP 4yGlassAOABH, assaultDate of offence: 19.6.2003 - Dispute at hotel party between regarding A’s behaviour towards victim’s son during football match – struggle resulted in glass being struck against victim’s face.
Professional rugby league player – qualified and committed youth worker widely respected in Aboriginal and wider community – good character.
Proper allowance for special circumstances.
Henness
(29)
NSW CCA [50]
9.2.2004GBH / GBHVG8y
NPP 6yAA to allow for 2 days PSC. Sentence confirmed.Assault with glassFirearm offences. On GBB and bail.Struck victim, acquaintance, in face with glass at nightclub – Caused loss of right eye and permanent scarring – Vicious, unprovoked attack.
Depression
http://www.lawlink.nsw.gov.au/lawlink/pdo/ll_pdo.nsf/pages/PDO_woundings33malwoundmalinflgbhwi

These are just examples but if he's convicted he's in a lot of trouble. The third column is the sentence btw.

spider

Coach
not downgrading the seriousness of the situation but we dont know the full story, just going on what the media has been saying, i find it hard to believe it when they say it happened at 7:30am, very strange..
thats the bell ringer - and only makes it look seemingly worse for him

Vossy

Bench
if he did it..something must of happened to make bird snap, cause you dont wake up in the morning and glass your partner as a way to say hello..i smell the media filling in the holes in the story, i hope this is dealt with when kate is able to tell her side of the story and the court/media do not just make assumptions against bird because kate is still recovering..

ricky will not let the team be distracted..infact it should fire them up, to show something like this hasnt taken there minds off the footy and should just let the club and everyone else involved deal with it..

kate, only 2 months in aust and this happens.

Last edited:

sharks8601

Juniors
he had been granted bail
will face court in october
sharks will realise a statement on his future etc later today

SadShark

Bench
Just announced on radio - he's been given bail with strict conditions due to AVO for previous offence. Not looking good for the Sharks.

If true it shows he didn't really have the character to be in such a senior role at the club - it's gone back for years dating to the Marteene incident. The club has some explaining to do as well. There are Bird controversies every second week at some low Shire nightspot and every time we get the club coming out and saying "we've sought assurances from Greg and he says he did nothing wrong" and then the case is closed.

Did anyone buy the SoO whitewash? What about the "oh he tackled a cage fighter in a bar but did nothing wrong"?

Letting a bloke get away with these minor indiscretions worked in the short term - we could keep him on the field. But just maybe it has given him the green light when tough love was needed to bring him in to line in the longer term.

Unfortunately having had some experience around the Shire's nightspots, there seems to be a bit of a recurring theme, the Sharks thinking they can get away with anything, anywhere. The club needs a culture shift in my opinion. And I love a drink as much as anyone I know.

azzah72

Bench
f**k him off, i love him as player but he has been nothing but bad press for the last few months, he hasn't been playing that well lately and now this?

Think of it this way, there was nobody else around, now i have heard a rumour that there was someone else and she was attacked?!?!

If i was somewhere and i saw my girl being attacked, what would you do? Smash the bloke till he can't move!

No one else was there, he did it, he's a goose, a grub and deserves the Latu treatment.

I'm gutted but more angry, i hate idiot footballers like him.

Innocent till proven guilty my ass, he went in himself, had a 2 hr meeting and then was charged without bail. If he's not guilty then i'll eat a hat.

Hope the girl is allright, no one deservse that!

Genius Freak

Juniors
OK, so as long as we don't go all moral panic, 'Everyone will hate us, won't somebody please think of the children?" he can play. We don't have to play interstate again this year, so he'll have no need to breach bail conditions. Make him apologise, suit him up and get him out on the field. Then plead him so he gets community service and suspend him between November and February.

This should not screw up our premiership.

And maybe we can send Simmo or Kinga to gaol in his stead.

Status
Not open for further replies.