What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Bird charged with violent attack

If charges are dropped against Bird, should he return immediately?

• Yes

Votes: 85 50.9%
  • No

Votes: 77 46.1%
  • I don't know/maybe/depends, ie. I'm too weak to have an opinion

Votes: 5 3.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

millersnose

Post Whore
So you see no other possible explanation should she not wish to testify, except she's been paid off?
in context with everything else so far in this case correct

what about you inferno

would you want him back at the club if he got of on such a technicality?

spider

Coach
"information"

Unsubstantiated allegations that remain untested in court.
the victims blood in the unit

glass in the bed

witness accounts of the verbal exchange

his best mate's statement to police

and the bell ringer......the girl in hospital that may lose an eye

yes, all unsubstantiated at this point

Generalzod

Immortal

glass in the bed

Was there a glove left at the scene of the crime...

Inferno

Coach
"information"

Unsubstantiated allegations that remain untested in court.

Judging by the comments here, if its jury trial, looks like he'll be hard-pressed getting a fair trial.

I don't think so. I think it was the right thing to do given the facts that have currently been released.

A jury will have the benefit of the full facts and circumstances being exposed.

Inferno

Coach
in context with everything else so far in this case correct

what about you inferno

would you want him back at the club if he got of on such a technicality?

Personally I don't think her choosing not to testify (if she does) is a technicality as in my mind there are a variety of reasons why that may occur.

If he is found guilty, by all means let him go, if he admits it, but is still able to get off on a legal technicality, let him go.

But if he continues to deny it, she refuses to testify (for which there are many possible reasons), or he is found innocent in a court of law, that is enough for me.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
I want to know why other parts of this story have not been picked up by the press. Like the strong possibility that there were many more people at the Unit rather than just the 2 of them?

Inferno

Coach
Do you think it will go to court???

Honestly, I have no idea. Presently we haven't heard a single thing from the the victim in this case, and realistically it all comes down to her. Fingers crossed she isn't pressured into making the wrong decision and hiding the truth.

Special K

Coach
I want to know why other parts of this story have not been picked up by the press. Like the strong possibility that there were many more people at the Unit rather than just the 2 of them?
Also nothing has been said about Bird going out the night before. I'm sure if he was out and about there would be people coming out of the wood work saying he was off his face etc

There is nothing to suggest he was drunk or anything :?

This is a very wtf type incident..

PJ

First Grade
want to know why other parts of this story have not been picked up by the press. Like the strong possibility that there were many more people at the Unit rather than just the 2 of them?

I thought that had been covered by the neighbours saying that there were no other male voices heard and the flat was empty when they looked in.

Sure the no other male voices leaves room for it being full of girls but is doubtful to me.

newysharksfan

Juniors
If it goes to court or not,as he has done in the past he has put himself in a position to bring the game and our proud team into disrepute.
I am one of the proudest and most pasionate Sharks fans and have been for 30 years and am certainly not about to beet up on any haman being let alone one of our own but in the under the curcumstances it is absolute rubbish to say the club should have not suspended him pending an investigation.
What would happen if he was a police officer or a TV Presenter or someone else high profile in our community?They would be suspended pending an inquiry.
Even with all the damming evidence I hope he is innocent and gets a fair trial and the truth comes out.
But he can't step foot on Shark Park untill then.
Don't forget we are not only talking about a football player and his girl fiend,we are talking about human beings and the rest of their lives.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
I thought that had been covered by the neighbours saying that there were no other male voices heard and the flat was empty when they looked in.

Sure the no other male voices leaves room for it being full of girls but is doubtful to me.

If some people possibly know then how come the cops & the media don't know? Or is that real news?

I ask the question to our highly over paid & useless reporters in this country "who was present at Birds unit until the early hours of the morning?"

Do the clowns know or do they continue to not do their job & force feed the community just the offal of the real story.

What about the Golf Player. On the course at 6am. Whats that a 5am departure from Cronulla? Was he kept up all night?

Quigs

Immortal
Read some of my other post re this situation.

#1 of course is the girls health...

Now that said and dusted.

Re the club and Birds future or no future with the club.

Rick and Zap sit down one on one with Bird.

Rick and Zap, "What happend? Did you do it?" Man to man, no bullsh!t.

Birds reply to them... results in

A. Rip up contract f**k Off.
B. We take your word and will wait on proceedings.
C. Or He lies like a Mongrel Dog.... to Rick and Zap. Delays the obvious.

Don't even worry about court cases, what ifs... but this, its all because of this, I suffer from ???.

I reckon you would not have to be Einstein to work out one on one in a very close relationship these blokes have whether he is guilty or not guilty. No grey areas.

End of Story

Cheers
Declared Idiot #88
Quigs

I thought there was a report suggesting Katie had a group of friends over from the States. I don't know if they were suppose to be at the unit the night before and Bird had gone out with the boys. Been so many reports am getting lost in them

Since 73

First Grade
What the?!?....
I've just read a dozen pages of this - has a life of its own.
Over 13K views in 2 days -has the country stopped?

Imagine the bloody web driven extrapolation if Lindy chamberlain had've played for the sharks.

Just on that she isn't a halfback is she?

samshark:

Things like this happen every week. You just dont here about it. Bird just happens to be an NRL player

If we'd never heard of Greg bird - and this was some loser defacto - we'd all view this differently when it appeared on the news.
For that reason his legals would fear going to court.
If it appears before a jury they be concerned of getting a few redneck Stain or South supporters sweating for a lynching.

Dave Q

Coach

glass in the bed

I suppose you were there Spides. A eye-witness to the events of the incident.

What did you see there mate? Blood where? Glass where?

The Police would like to talk to you, you'd better go down to the cop shop and make a statement.

If the police always got it right, no-one would get off and a lot of defence lawyers would be selling ice-creams at football matches.

Statements mean crap unless they are actually tested, thats why we have a court in the first place.

As for the veracity of statements enjoy:

EVIDENCE ACT 1995 - SECT 59

The hearsay rule--exclusion of hearsay evidence
(1) Evidence of a previous representation made by a person is not admissible to prove the existence of a fact that the person intended to assert by the representation.
(2) Such a fact is in this Part referred to as an asserted fact .
(3) Subsection (1) does not apply to evidence of a representation contained in a certificate or other document given or made under regulations made under an Act other than this Act to the extent to which the regulations provide that the certificate or other document has evidentiary effect.
Note: Specific exceptions to the hearsay rule are as follows:
* evidence relevant for a non‑hearsay purpose (section 60);
* first‑hand hearsay:
-- civil proceedings, if the maker of the representation is unavailable (section 63) or available (section 64);
-- criminal proceedings, if the maker of the representation is unavailable (section 65) or available (section 66);
* business records (section 69);
* tags and labels (section 70);
* telecommunications (section 71);
* contemporaneous statements about a person's health etc. (section 72);
* marriage, family history or family relationships (section 73);
* public or general rights (section 74);
* use of evidence in interlocutory proceedings (section 75);
* admissions (section 81);
* representations about employment or authority (subsection 87(2));
* exceptions to the rule excluding evidence of judgments and convictions (subsection 92(3));
* character of and expert opinion about accused persons (sections 110 and 111).
Other provisions of this Act, or of other laws, may operate as further exceptions.

He's entitled to be considered as innocent until he pleads or is found guilty.

The only reason to stand him down is if his time in remand whilst awaiting bail interefered with his training.

The court has thrown out matters where it has found that the defendant cant get a fair trial.

Maybe thats Birdy's plan B?!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts