What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Bird charged with violent attack

If charges are dropped against Bird, should he return immediately?

• Yes

Votes: 85 50.9%
  • No

Votes: 77 46.1%
  • I don't know/maybe/depends, ie. I'm too weak to have an opinion

Votes: 5 3.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PJ

First Grade
I may be wrong but wasn't Carney charged for a previous alcohol related offence whihc was one of the reasons that the club reacted the way they did?

Personally I think that if a player has been sacked for a public offence the club should also be able to say wether or not they can play for another club for the duration of the contract, and that there should be a minimum suspension set by the NRL so players who are out of contract are covered as well.

I don't want Bird playing for the club if any of the allegations turn out to be true

I agree Sheros, but I do not think this will end up going before the court. IMO that would be the worst outcome becuase after the stories that have come out this week and the apparent attempts at subterfuge and deception I don't think that many will believe any story that comes out to explain it, even if it was 100% fact.

It also wouldn't surprise me if Bird played again this year.

PJ

First Grade
I might have dropped a few but they've all fallen straight down.

On a lighter note I had a mate who was notorious for dropping his beer. Happened a few times most nights out.

We were up the Miranda RSL on a busy Friday night and it was his shout so we went up to the bar and weeved his way back between the crowd with 4 schooners in his hand without spilling a drop. Sat down said I bet you bastards thought I'd drop them, lent on the table and tipped all 4 into his lap.

STSAE

Juniors
I may be wrong but wasn't Carney charged for a previous alcohol related offence whihc was one of the reasons that the club reacted the way they did?

Personally I think that if a player has been sacked for a public offence the club should also be able to say wether or not they can play for another club for the duration of the contract, and that there should be a minimum suspension set by the NRL so players who are out of contract are covered as well.

I agree Sheros, but I do not think this will end up going before the court. IMO that would be the worst outcome becuase after the stories that have come out this week and the apparent attempts at subterfuge and deception I don't think that many will believe any story that comes out to explain it, even if it was 100% fact.

It also wouldn't surprise me if Bird played again this year.

From memory he did dounuts and ran from the law pissed mate, lost licence bond etc. That was last year im sure, costing him an origin spot from memory???

If you SACK someone that means you wont PAY them for the remainder of their contract, correct???

So then you want to stop them from earning again for the period of the contract you SACKED the bloke from????

Sounds a little harsh to me personally.

Would such a thing even be possible in the "real" world???? From my understanding you arent even allowed to give a negative reference by law???

If you were going to PAY his contract but stop him playing, well thats a different story, but I dont know.....

I agree something has to be in place but where do you draw the line??? If someones charged or not???? If someones a star or not??? I mean bringing the game into disrepute, its a pretty wide arc. Leaves some scope for almost ANYTHING to be used against someone who isnt wanted.

Cos at present with past precedents there is no precedent, its what suits the club/NRL really at the time.

Can of worms.

:sarcasm::sarcasm:

Last edited:

Dave Q

Coach
the police released the info to the media dave

that bow is going to break if you draw back any further

did you see section 60 dave - the one that mentions evidence?

Its unwise to put your faith in the cops Spides. Only when you have to, are feeling community minded or when its otherwsie illegal not to.

Now I am puzzled by as to why they chose to release details of a an alleged crime to all and sundry.

Its supposed to be Police Force and not a fugging news agency.

No, a statement is a statement. People lie in statements regularly. They are not supposed to lie, but they cant help it. And even if they think they are telling the truth, they could be honestly mistaken.

Section 60:

The hearsay rule does not apply to evidence of a previous representation that is admitted because it is relevant for a purpose other than proof of the fact intended to be asserted by the representation.

Kindly elaborate upon its relevancy Spides. Im interested.

If shes made a statement and trys to traverse it, shes in some big trouble herself.

I disgress:

If he is found or pleads guilty, he is little chance of playing NRL again so then presumably he's off to overseas to join Sonny.

But he wont easily get into another country, which is going to be pretty hard with that kind of conviction.

High prospects of gaol, he's best to try to get into a good gaol as of the heavy lads in regular gaols are keen to get one over an NRL player.

Im told that the average time before you are raped in some of the gaols, is less than 2 weeks. They are run by gangs at ground level.They are unpleasant and soul-destroying.

As an acquaintance of mine who was gaoled on marijuana offences described it:

"Its like going back to primary school, where the biggest and best kids get everything. You take your place, go with it and try to keep sane"

Needless to say, he now holds down two jobs and has never re-offended.

And they dont give the gaols the resources they need to seperate the mega-evil and mental cases from the more normal.

As Quigs says, we shouldnt forget the victim in all this. If Bird pleads or is found guilty, he can look forward to paying her victims comp, which is almost never enough. Forget the sharks, she is the real victim.

Its a sad episode indeed.

Notwithstanding the above, Bird is entitled to be considered as innocent.

That shouldnt be implemented with crossed fingers.

Dave Q

Coach
I think Dave has some very valid points there.

Cheers.

I bet you wont like the following though:-

Its a very serious crime, apparently he has form.

He should see a psychiatrist and ascertain whether he is the full quid or has mental problems.

Not so much as to mount a defence ( unless he is actually unwell), but if he is gaoled, it might get him into a pyschiatric unit within a gaol full time.

They pretty much keep them seperated there.

He'll be a lot safer and maybe get some medication.

It wont be the first time thats been sought.

samshark

Juniors
Its unwise to put your faith in the cops Spides. Only when you have to, are feeling community minded or when its otherwsie illegal not to.

Now I am puzzled by as to why they chose to release details of a an alleged crime to all and sundry.

Its supposed to be Police Force and not a fugging news agency. quote]

Dave you are mistaken again. Police havent released the details to all and sundry, it is public information. The information about this incident which has been published in the media e.g text messages sent by Bird is all taken from the fact sheet presented at court yesterday.

Details of court listings are on the internet. The public can go in to any local court and sit in on a hearing. Information is not made public when it relates to charges against children, child sex offenders and a few other cases.

Mal Meninga

Bench
From memory he did dounuts and ran from the law pissed mate, lost licence bond etc. That was last year im sure, costing him an origin spot from memory???

I agree something has to be in place but where do you draw the line??? If someones charged or not???? If someones a star or not??? I mean bringing the game into disrepute, its a pretty wide arc. Leaves some scope for almost ANYTHING to be used against someone who isnt wanted.

Cos at present with past precedents there is no precedent, its what suits the club/NRL really at the time.

Can of worms.

Todd has had 3 previous drink driving incidents. First one was covered up, second the burn outs in Goulburn which resulted in loss of license, than the third where he tried to speed away from the cops than ran on foot. 200 hours community service and more years suspended on his license.

I agree that he shouldn't have been de-registered, but he's got a serious drinking problem (which the Raiders have offered to pay for counselling expenses etc) and is a repeat offender with alot more swept under the carpet.

These players never learn, the more you make an example out of them, regardless of being charged or not, the more the game benefits in the long term. Has SBW or Matuia ever been properly punished for their acts? Look how big their heads are.

TITAN1

Juniors
I dont know about sweeping this under the carpet,this is more than a drunken night out.

STSAE

Juniors
Todd has had 3 previous drink driving incidents. First one was covered up, second the burn outs in Goulburn which resulted in loss of license, than the third where he tried to speed away from the cops than ran on foot. 200 hours community service and more years suspended on his license.

I agree that he shouldn't have been de-registered, but he's got a serious drinking problem (which the Raiders have offered to pay for counselling expenses etc) and is a repeat offender with alot more swept under the carpet.

These players never learn, the more you make an example out of them, regardless of being charged or not, the more the game benefits in the long term. Has SBW or Matuia ever been properly punished for their acts? Look how big their heads are.

I 100% agree with Big Mal, its time we drew the line in the sand and made these serial offenders pay, not allow them to continually escape public humiation by covering up the truth of their illegal and immoral actions.

But the clubs, players and NRL have to ACT for once here, no more conferences and strategic plans. NO MORE BULLSH!T.

Quigs

Immortal
The old Sarge should of booted Birdy up the arse outside the Queensland Nightclub. And booted the prick real hard.

Like in the old days.

Reality checks.

But hey - dig up the thread on that one guys and see who was saying what. Shame about the real world until it snaps us all on the arse.

Be interesting reading........ bloody coppers......... blah blah....

Feeding Strawberries to pigs I say.

Cheers
Declared Idiot #88
Quigs

Last edited:

Genius Freak

Juniors
Once again the media cuts down a young sports star before his trial has even commenced. If Greg Bird is found guilty by a jury of his peers, then by all means, he needs to face the consequences, but last time I checked, the only trial Bird has had thus far is 'Trial by Media'. The case against Bird is circumstantial at best. The girl has not given a statement, and has not at this stage even decided to press charges. Only two people in the world know what went on in that flat, and so far one has said he's innocent, and the other has not spoken at all.

Ultimately it is typical of the media to beat up minor details of this case in their quest for ratings. They are currently trying to hang him for not only glassing a girl, (of which he has not been tried or convicted) but also for 'GASP!' not being a good mate. They deliberately inflame the masses with emotive phrases such as 'vicious assault' 'mateship' and 'emotionless' and try to create a moral panic over something which would barely make page 20 if not for the media's desire to cut down tall poppies. I'm not claiming that Bird is innocent, I'm saying that what he deserves is a fair trial. Bird may drink too much, he may not be a good mate, and he may not be the brightest spark going around. But those things aren't illegal, as much as the media is making them out to be.

Ultimately of course, the media will hide behind the Fourth Estate and 'the public's right to know' when it comes to vilifying a young man and ruining his life. He was stood down by Cronulla due to media pressure, and the fact that had he of played against the Tigers, the media circus would have distracted the whole team and caused more problems than Bird's presence on the field would have solved. This is of course typical of the current state of news reporting, and the desire of media outlets to control not only what we think, but the world at large.

Talk of de-registration, gaol time and public flogging are all premature. The media should respect the tenants of the justice system in a free society, and let the courts deal with the matter in the same way that they would for anyone not in the spotlight of this celebrity-centric world.

If Bird is found guilty, then he deserves to be punished. But if he is innocent, then by God, all of you who have spent time vilifying him owe the man a big apology.

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

TITAN1

Juniors
GREG Bird has played his last game at Cronulla. The outpouring of public anger after the Test five-eighth was charged with maliciously inflicting grievous bodily harm on his girlfriend has left the Sharks with no choice but to sack him.
Sponsors have contacted the club seeking answers about the incident, which has resulted in Bird being stood down indefinitely.
The Sharks' decision to sack Bird will put pressure on the NRL to deregister him and prevent him going to rival clubs, effectively ending his NRL career.
This could become irrelevant as Bird faces a possible jail term if convicted.
Sharks chief executive Tony Zappia was cautious last night given the pending legal action but confirmed there were community concerns.
"It is a very difficult decision based on Cronulla being such a close-knit community," he said. "(Terminating his contract) is certainly something that will be strongly considered."
Chairman Barry Pierce was also cautious about revealing the Sharks' intentions, but addressed the leagues club board on where the club stood.
"He is suspended indefinitely and, on legal advice, we can't do another thing," Pierce said. "I think it is the only thing we could do."
Pierce said Bird's future at the club would be decided after a board meeting and in consultation with Zappia and the coaching staff after the case had been legally resolved.
"That will be discussed when the time arrives," Pierce said.
"We will look at it at the time and as a board, and take advice. Sorry, I can't say much more about it but that is where we are at."
It is clear Bird's position at the club is untenable.
The club was inundated with emails from fans, the reaction overwhelmingly in favour of sacking him.
The wider reaction from the rugby league community has been similar, a fact the Sharks are aware of.
Significantly, club sponsors are also concerned at the damaging publicity.
"They are pretty keen to see some action is taken," Zappia said.
"The club has a responsibilty to sponsors, supporters, management staff and the players.
"It is important that the values of society are upheld at every opportunity."
The Sharks have shifted skipper Paul Gallen to lock to replace Bird for Friday night's match against Wests Tigers, with Fraser Anderson moving to the forwards and Brett Kearney brought back to play fullback.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/nrl/story/0,27074,24246708-5016549,00.html

Inferno

Coach
GREG Bird has played his last game at Cronulla. The outpouring of public anger after the Test five-eighth was charged with maliciously inflicting grievous bodily harm on his girlfriend has left the Sharks with no choice but to sack him.

Sponsors have contacted the club seeking answers about the incident, which has resulted in Bird being stood down indefinitely.

The Sharks' decision to sack Bird will put pressure on the NRL to deregister him and prevent him going to rival clubs, effectively ending his NRL career.

Would be nice if the Journos let us make that decision instead of trying to make it for us. f**kers care more about selling papers than they do about finding the truth.

TITAN1

Juniors
Once again the media cuts down a young sports star before his trial has even commenced. If Greg Bird is found guilty by a jury of his peers, then by all means, he needs to face the consequences, but last time I checked, the only trial Bird has had thus far is 'Trial by Media'. The case against Bird is circumstantial at best. The girl has not given a statement, and has not at this stage even decided to press charges. Only two people in the world know what went on in that flat, and so far one has said he's innocent, and the other has not spoken at all.

Ultimately it is typical of the media to beat up minor details of this case in their quest for ratings. They are currently trying to hang him for not only glassing a girl, (of which he has not been tried or convicted) but also for 'GASP!' not being a good mate. They deliberately inflame the masses with emotive phrases such as 'vicious assault' 'mateship' and 'emotionless' and try to create a moral panic over something which would barely make page 20 if not for the media's desire to cut down tall poppies. I'm not claiming that Bird is innocent, I'm saying that what he deserves is a fair trial. Bird may drink too much, he may not be a good mate, and he may not be the brightest spark going around. But those things aren't illegal, as much as the media is making them out to be.

Ultimately of course, the media will hide behind the Fourth Estate and 'the public's right to know' when it comes to vilifying a young man and ruining his life. He was stood down by Cronulla due to media pressure, and the fact that had he of played against the Tigers, the media circus would have distracted the whole team and caused more problems than Bird's presence on the field would have solved. This is of course typical of the current state of news reporting, and the desire of media outlets to control not only what we think, but the world at large.

Talk of de-registration, gaol time and public flogging are all premature. The media should respect the tenants of the justice system in a free society, and let the courts deal with the matter in the same way that they would for anyone not in the spotlight of this celebrity-centric world.

If Bird is found guilty, then he deserves to be punished. But if he is innocent, then by God, all of you who have spent time vilifying him owe the man a big apology.

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

Strange,i thought there was only one victim in all this.

spider

Coach
Its unwise to put your faith in the cops Spides.
where i have done that?

Its supposed to be Police Force and not a fugging news agency.
it was publicised in his court hearing

No, a statement is a statement. People lie in statements regularly. They are not supposed to lie, but they cant help it. And even if they think they are telling the truth, they could be honestly mistaken.
whats your point?

i was referring to the statement of his mate - the guy he attempted to pin it on

do you think his mate has lied?

Section 60:

The hearsay rule does not apply to evidence of a previous representation that is admitted because it is relevant for a purpose other than proof of the fact intended to be asserted by the representation.

Kindly elaborate upon its relevancy Spides. Im interested.
no need for elaboration dave - the word evidence is by far enough

surely your not going to refute what police found when attending his home on the sunday?

If shes made a statement and trys to traverse it, shes in some big trouble herself.
she has not made a statement

I disgress:

If he is found or pleads guilty, he is little chance of playing NRL again so then presumably he's off to overseas to join Sonny.

But he wont easily get into another country, which is going to be pretty hard with that kind of conviction.
i disagree - if he is found guilty he will never play NRL again, nor should he

Im told that the average time before you are raped in some of the gaols, is less than 2 weeks. They are run by gangs at ground level.They are unpleasant and soul-destroying.
now there is an example of hearsay

As an acquaintance of mine who was gaoled on marijuana offences described it:

"Its like going back to primary school, where the biggest and best kids get everything. You take your place, go with it and try to keep sane"

and they say accountability for ones inappropriate actions can bite you in the ass - its in the vacinity though

Needless to say, he now holds down two jobs and has never re-offended.
bully for him - so there is proof the system rehabilitates

As Quigs says, we shouldnt forget the victim in all this. If Bird pleads or is found guilty, he can look forward to paying her victims comp, which is almost never enough. Forget the sharks, she is the real victim.
which i agree with and have stated numerous times in this very thread

Notwithstanding the above, Bird is entitled to be considered as innocent.

That shouldnt be implemented with crossed fingers.
dave - my view is the same until the phantom attacker is located, actually my words in earlier posts were - 'i will not pass judgement until due process has concluded'

Status
Not open for further replies.