What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Bird charged with violent attack

If charges are dropped against Bird, should he return immediately?

• Yes

Votes: 85 50.9%
  • No

Votes: 77 46.1%
  • I don't know/maybe/depends, ie. I'm too weak to have an opinion

Votes: 5 3.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Genius Freak

Juniors
No, but how she got it may well be.

As I said, only two people in the world know what happened in that flat.

The masses just allow the media to fill in the blanks without questioning it.

spider

Coach
both snippets from the same article as posted above

heraldsun said:
GREG Bird has played his last game at Cronulla. The outpouring of public anger after the Test five-eighth was charged with maliciously inflicting grievous bodily harm on his girlfriend has left the Sharks with no choice but to sack him.

barry pierce said:
"He is suspended indefinitely and, on legal advice, we can't do another thing," Pierce said. "I think it is the only thing we could do."
so the media expression gets the bold and first paragragh

and the actual current circunstances are dropped down the bottom of the article

good stuff

STSAE

Juniors
Once again the media cuts down a young sports star before his trial has even commenced. If Greg Bird is found guilty by a jury of his peers, then by all means, he needs to face the consequences, but last time I checked, the only trial Bird has had thus far is 'Trial by Media'. The case against Bird is circumstantial at best. The girl has not given a statement, and has not at this stage even decided to press charges. Only two people in the world know what went on in that flat, and so far one has said he's innocent, and the other has not spoken at all.

Ultimately it is typical of the media to beat up minor details of this case in their quest for ratings. They are currently trying to hang him for not only glassing a girl, (of which he has not been tried or convicted) but also for 'GASP!' not being a good mate. They deliberately inflame the masses with emotive phrases such as 'vicious assault' 'mateship' and 'emotionless' and try to create a moral panic over something which would barely make page 20 if not for the media's desire to cut down tall poppies. I'm not claiming that Bird is innocent, I'm saying that what he deserves is a fair trial. Bird may drink too much, he may not be a good mate, and he may not be the brightest spark going around. But those things aren't illegal, as much as the media is making them out to be.

Ultimately of course, the media will hide behind the Fourth Estate and 'the public's right to know' when it comes to vilifying a young man and ruining his life. He was stood down by Cronulla due to media pressure, and the fact that had he of played against the Tigers, the media circus would have distracted the whole team and caused more problems than Bird's presence on the field would have solved. This is of course typical of the current state of news reporting, and the desire of media outlets to control not only what we think, but the world at large.

Talk of de-registration, gaol time and public flogging are all premature. The media should respect the tenants of the justice system in a free society, and let the courts deal with the matter in the same way that they would for anyone not in the spotlight of this celebrity-centric world.

If Bird is found guilty, then he deserves to be punished. But if he is innocent, then by God, all of you who have spent time vilifying him owe the man a big apology.

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

This is the common thread among the excuse makers, its ALWAYS someone elses fault.

Dreg Turd like his fellow excusists have NEVER done anything wrong before, someone in powers always made sure of that. Now they dont even know whats right or wrong.

So if the MEDIA are just reading what the police have provided, like the facts so far, why cant we all pass judgement???? Its out there in the public arena. I mean what Turd or the woman say would have some bias, like all eyewitness accounts do. But text messages and blood trails and broken bones and glass can tell a very interseting story.

And your use of "a good mate" that was a beauty. I love opening myself up to my "good mates" especially when I can take the rap for them and save them embaressment by the big bad media.

What a self centred freak you are, ruining your footy expierence I gather.:crazy:

Answer this what if that poor woman was your Sister or Cousin???? How would you react to what happened then????

:sarcasm::sarcasm:

Last edited:

Genius Freak

Juniors
Answer this what if that poor woman was your Sister or Cousin???? How would you react to what happened then????

But you go straight to the emotive response just like the media, and you expect that I condone what ALLEGEDLY happened in the apartment. I don't. If it was someone I knew then naturally I would be upset, BUT in looking at it from a non biased pov, which any jury will have to do, (as hard as it may be now that the media have tainted the entire jury pool) be it my cousin or otherwise, there is no way that anyone outside of two people can definitively say what happened in that flat, and the media should not engage in wild speculation. It's that simple. And I am willing to presume him innocent until proven guilty, AS REQUIRED BY LAW.

Let me ask you, if it were your brother or cousin charged with the crime would you instantly vilify him, or would you consider that maybe a guy who says he didn't do it, didn't do it?

TITAN1

Juniors
Let me ask you, if it were your brother or cousin charged with the crime would you instantly vilify him, or would you consider that maybe a guy who says he didn't do it, didn't do it?

That would depend on his history,if there was a pattern of run ins with the law as opposed to being a "cleanskin".

Genius Freak

Juniors
None of which will be relevant in court assuming he can afford a semi decent barrister.

If I was Crown prosecutor in this case I wouldn't be proceeding to trial on current evidence. As far as I'm aware there is no statement from the victim, and no accusation apart from hearsay taken out of context.

A lot of circumstantial evidence exists, but none that can definitely say that Bird committed the act.

Providing you look at it clearly of course.

STSAE

Juniors
But you go straight to the emotive response just like the media, and you expect that I condone what ALLEGEDLY happened in the apartment. I don't. If it was someone I knew then naturally I would be upset, BUT in looking at it from a non biased pov, which any jury will have to do, (as hard as it may be now that the media have tainted the entire jury pool) be it my cousin or otherwise, there is no way that anyone outside of two people can definitively say what happened in that flat, and the media should not engage in wild speculation. It's that simple. And I am willing to presume him innocent until proven guilty, AS REQUIRED BY LAW.

I have been placed in the situation where I had to knock a childhood friend out a few years ago when he hit his missus in front of me, and I wouldnt think twice about doing it again. We arent great friends these days, but I know he wont do it again, cos he wont get up next time.

Simiarly a neighbour had a psycho girlfriend who I saw one day thru their screen door attack him in a rage and crack her own head open and run to the police. He was charged and I had to be interviewed myself, it wasnt a very nice situation but in the end justice prevailed and she recieved the help she needed, the woman had some probs.

Violence against women needs to be eliminated from our society and I wont cop that from anyone I know.

Id like to think Id know pretty well if a close mate or rello was lying to me. Usually you find these are never 1 off incidents, dont be surprised if more ex-girlfriends surface with similar tales in this case.

What makes this case so damning is the use of his mate to try and avoid media speculation. That wouldve never surfaced if Turd was truely innocent, and I gather you realise this too.

I tend to believe the hard evidence available b4 I believe the combatants especially in domestic disputes, its rarely balck and white. We will NEVER know the truth 100%, I doubt Turd does after the way he acted.

Irrespective of emotion or not you didnt really answer me mate. Seriously how would you feel if you were related to the poor woman, you know the REAL victim here????

I cant view Turd as a victim mate, hes not lying in a hospital bed.

BTW why do I have to wait to judge him???? No law says I cant offer my opinion. Its just life the media will report these incidents these ways. Hes a man he loves the trappings of wealth and fame, now he sees it from the other side. It was not the Media who started this remember.

Genius Freak

Juniors
I have been placed in the situation where I had to knock a childhood friend out a few years ago when he hit his missus in front of me, and I wouldnt think twice about doing it again. We arent great friends these days, but I know he wont do it again, cos he wont get up next time.

Simiarly a neighbour had a psycho girlfriend who I saw one day thru their screen door attack him in a rage and crack her own head open and run to the police. He was charged and I had to be interviewed myself, it wasnt a very nice situation but in the end justice prevailed and she recieved the help she needed, the woman had some probs.

Violence against women needs to be eliminated from our society and I wont cop that from anyone I know.

Id like to think Id know pretty well if a close mate or rello was lying to me. Usually you find these are never 1 off incidents, dont be surprised if more ex-girlfriends surface with similar tales in this case.

What makes this case so damning is the use of his mate to try and avoid media speculation. That wouldve never surfaced if Turd was truely innocent, and I gather you realise this too.

I tend to believe the hard evidence available b4 I believe the combatants especially in domestic disputes, its rarely balck and white. We will NEVER know the truth 100%, I doubt Turd does after the way he acted.

Irrespective of emotion or not you didnt really answer me mate. Seriously how would you feel if you were related to the poor woman, you know the REAL victim here????

I cant view Turd as a victim mate, hes not lying in a hospital bed.

BTW why do I have to wait to judge him???? No law says I cant offer my opinion. Its just life the media will report these incidents these ways. Hes a man he loves the trappings of wealth and fame, now he sees it from the other side. It was not the Media who started this remember.

As I said, if I knew the girl, then yes I would feel badly. And I am in no way condoning violence towards women. I'm just looking at it in a rational manner without the media hyperbole, and trying to cut through some of the bullsh*t that we are served up comparing Bird to the worst villains of history when no definitive evidence exists that he is guilty.

And ultimately, you can judge who you like. You're not the problem. The problem is a virulent media who is prejudging the case long before it gets to trial, and which is telling everyone what to think ahead of time. End of the day, you and I aren't the ones who have a duty to be careful with what we say. We're not the ones ignoring laws against trial by media.

STSAE

Juniors
None of which will be relevant in court assuming he can afford a semi decent barrister.

If I was Crown prosecutor in this case I wouldn't be proceeding to trial on current evidence. As far as I'm aware there is no statement from the victim, and no accusation apart from hearsay taken out of context.

A lot of circumstantial evidence exists, but none that can definitely say that Bird committed the act.

Providing you look at it clearly of course.

Mate you sound like you know more about the law than the majority here. I gather youre looking at it from a cold angle, and thats fair.

Just why do you suppose the cops would charge someone of his profile with such a serious charge if they didnt have such good evidence???

Wouldnt it be very damaging to the police if hes found completly not guilty???

Not not guilty officially, like a deal which I know is the probable outcome here, but I mean REALLY innocent, like he actually didnt do the deed not guilty.

Cos mud sticks and his name is now MUD. I cant see them going to this much trouble and giving this much info out unless they KNOW he did it. They couldve tried to cover it as per usual and kept it quiet.

Or is that the plan, they know they cant get him legally so the next best thing is trial by media????

Really whats the chance hes 100% innocent and the real VICTIM here??

STSAE

Juniors
As I said, if I knew the girl, then yes I would feel badly. And I am in no way condoning violence towards women. I'm just looking at it in a rational manner without the media hyperbole, and trying to cut through some of the bullsh*t that we are served up comparing Bird to the worst villains of history when no definitive evidence exists that he is guilty.

And ultimately, you can judge who you like. You're not the problem. The problem is a virulent media who is prejudging the case long before it gets to trial, and which is telling everyone what to think ahead of time. End of the day, you and I aren't the ones who have a duty to be careful with what we say. We're not the ones ignoring laws against trial by media.

I agree mate the media has major issues here. I mean whens doing weewee in a lane a hangable offence like we saw Mason and DoubleSteamer cop earlier in the year???? Or smoking a ciggy Masons other crime this year???

To me thats media manipulation and trial by media when really its just trying to sell papers.

This blokes the NSW and Australian 5/8. Its the centennary year of the game. We have just got over Toad Carney (which was a media driven trial) and $BW and that farce now the face of the Shire has been accused by Police of glassing his girlfriend and putting the poor woman into hospital with some nasty and maybe permanent injuries.

I honestly think the media coverage has been pretty tame. Its not as though its like Toad Carney and he hasnt been charged, now that was some sad trial by media.

Imagine Mason did what Turds been accused of???? Imagine the media circus then??? I wonder would ANYONE worry about trial by media then???

Ive been around long enough and seen enough of it swep under the carpet to realise this ones a big one and a bad one. You dont usually get that sorta detailed info from police reports that quick, something not right there.

Whether he gets a fair trial, I dont know, but how often do these incidents ever get that far????

Last edited:

Genius Freak

Juniors
Mate you sound like you know more about the law than the majority here. I gather youre looking at it from a cold angle, and thats fair.

Just why do you suppose the cops would charge someone of his profile with such a serious charge if they didnt have such good evidence???

Wouldnt it be very damaging to the police if hes found completly not guilty???

Not not guilty officially, like a deal which I know is the probable outcome here, but I mean REALLY innocent, like he actually didnt do the deed not guilty.

Cos mud sticks and his name is now MUD. I cant see them going to this much trouble and giving this much info out unless they KNOW he did it. They couldve tried to cover it as per usual and kept it quiet.

Or is that the plan, they know they cant get him legally so the next best thing is trial by media????

Really whats the chance hes 100% innocent and the real VICTIM here??

Did law for a couple of years...

The way I see it, the cops HAD to charge him. There is probably enough circumstantial evidence to get charges laid, but nowhere near enough to say he definitively did it and get a conviction. The cops did what they had to do, it's the media that's trying him.

Ultimately, I'd say there is something going on. The text messages and phone calls look dodgy, but its not illegal to be a dickhead to your mates. I think there may have been lies told to police about the true nature of what went on, (I have a theory that I can't post in a public forum,) but lies shouldn't get you kicked out of the NRL, or time in jail. I'm certain that Bird is not the smartest guy on the planet, but if that's a crime we'd have to arrest everyone who watches Wipeout.

It is possible that he's innocent. It speaks volumes to me that she hasn't made a statement yet, and if I was Crown prosecutor I'd be waiting for that before proceeding.

Could she have fallen on a glass, or been really drunk and dropped it on herself? Could Greg have been off his face drunk and dropped it on her? That'd be a hell of a bad accident, but you wouldn't get jail time. Some of these ideas are unlikely, but they're not impossible, and if I was Bird's lawyer I'd hammer the idea that we don't know what happened. And the only statement we have from anyone who does, is a statement of innocence. No fair jury would convict on that. At the moment however, the media is so busy muddying the jury pool, we'll never find a fair and impartial jury who does not have preconceived ideas, should the case ever go to trial.

If he's done it, I don't want him at the club. But God help us if he truly hasn't done it, and we've already cast him as Satan himself.

STSAE

Juniors
Did law for a couple of years...

The way I see it, the cops HAD to charge him. There is probably enough circumstantial evidence to get charges laid, but nowhere near enough to say he definitively did it and get a conviction. The cops did what they had to do, it's the media that's trying him.

Ultimately, I'd say there is something going on. The text messages and phone calls look dodgy, but its not illegal to be a dickhead to your mates. I think there may have been lies told to police about the true nature of what went on, (I have a theory that I can't post in a public forum,) but lies shouldn't get you kicked out of the NRL, or time in jail. I'm certain that Bird is not the smartest guy on the planet, but if that's a crime we'd have to arrest everyone who watches Wipeout.

It is possible that he's innocent. It speaks volumes to me that she hasn't made a statement yet, and if I was Crown prosecutor I'd be waiting for that before proceeding.

Could she have fallen on a glass, or been really drunk and dropped it on herself? Could Greg have been off his face drunk and dropped it on her? That'd be a hell of a bad accident, but you wouldn't get jail time. Some of these ideas are unlikely, but they're not impossible, and if I was Bird's lawyer I'd hammer the idea that we don't know what happened. And the only statement we have from anyone who does, is a statement of innocence. No fair jury would convict on that. At the moment however, the media is so busy muddying the jury pool, we'll never find a fair and impartial jury who does not have preconceived ideas, should the case ever go to trial.

If he's done it, I don't want him at the club. But God help us if he truly hasn't done it, and we've already cast him as Satan himself.

All fair mate and I must say I agree with it.

I still have huge doubts about the lying to the police and the text messages trying to get his mate to take a hit for him. Thats gotta be a real sticking point in all this.

I do see theres a chance even that was innocent, maybe thinking of the hullabaloo and panicking looking for a way out, even if it WAS some accident. But in reality is very unlikely.

How do we know she hasnt made a statement as yet?? I wouldve thought the police would make that a priority, unless shes had some major surgery and needs to recover???? Also why would they stop Turd visiting the woman if she wasnt hostile????

There are many bits that dont add up in my mind.

How did the media get onto this so quickly???? I saw the report pretty early sunday.

I know we dont have all the facts but I doubt we will get too many more now, b4 any trial at least. I still see room for it to be squashed. I see a very small glimmer that maybe somehow hes innocent. Small, very small.

Who knows I guess. I just hope that woman is OK.

Been interesting reading - all 32 pages.

I think I might just wait and see what transpires.

Yes. I feel very sorry for the victim in all this. Being glassed is one of the lowest acts. We've had a bit of a run of them here on the GC and the local rag really gives them the headlines. Deservedly so.

I don't condone violence against women in any shape or form, but let's see the entire case unravels first.

That is all from me on this.

Last edited:

SharkShocked

Bench
I can't see the club not dropping him before the court case, look at the amount of public outcry.

Pressure could be to much for the club not to sack him. Especially given he lied to Zaps about the situation, i'm sure that will work heavily against him.

Surely

Post Whore
Sounds like this is getting a huge beat up, fans, want him sacked ,sponsors want him sacked, a non fractured fractured eye socket, glassing, previous bad behavior like giving martene a love tap and ending his career.

The guy sounds like a madman, i am surprised he hasn't assualted numerous people on and off the field.

Surely they can drag out some footage of bird punching on on the field to prove this madman short fused character they are trying to create in the media.

Frenzy.

Post Whore
Cheers.

I bet you wont like the following though:-

Its a very serious crime, apparently he has form.

He should see a psychiatrist and ascertain whether he is the full quid or has mental problems.

Not so much as to mount a defence ( unless he is actually unwell), but if he is gaoled, it might get him into a pyschiatric unit within a gaol full time.

They pretty much keep them seperated there.

He'll be a lot safer and maybe get some medication.

It wont be the first time thats been sought.

No chance in the world would he get into a specialist mental health unit in gaol. He'd have to be made NGI and then he'd become a forensic patient and never get released.

They are not kept seperated at all. Only the sickest, most dangerous. 80% of the prison population has a mental illness Dave. It wouldn't even be possible to seperate them all.

Status
Not open for further replies.