What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Bird charged with violent attack

If charges are dropped against Bird, should he return immediately?

• Yes

Votes: 85 50.9%
  • No

Votes: 77 46.1%
  • I don't know/maybe/depends, ie. I'm too weak to have an opinion

Votes: 5 3.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

carcharias

Immortal
I tell you what Dave

there have been some corking good angles and diversions put forward in this thread.
Someone even managed to involve Nelson Mandela ffs.
But 5 years gaol for drinking near a kid after 10pm is a bit steep.
How near is too near.

...and if it did come to fruition I will blame Greg Bird when I tell my missus I have to go out every friday and Saturday nights to have a beer .

Rexxy

Coach
it would play havoc with Visas too. If you dont want to incriminate yourself the best way is to say nuthing. And I keep hearing this lyric on my head.

What kind of love have you got?
You should be home, but you’re not
A room full of noise and dangerous boys
Still makes you thirsty and hot

Hey rexxy you mentioned drugs before?

She was studying law?

A drug bust here in Australia gets you kicked out of law school for ever.

Just ask the drummer from eskimo joe.

hows this twist in the conspiracy theory.

She says she was on drugs and it was her fault.
she loses her career
She says it was his fault ..he loses his career.

she says nothing...both getto keep their career.

it is a long shot...I I doubt it would be true.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
But they would still have to prove she is lying, and if there are no other witnesses, it would be pretty much their words with nothing to prove otherwise, without her word, the cops can really only speculate what happened.
Yes. I was simply pointing out that the government made all victims of domestic violence compellable witnesses subject to arrest if they refuse to give evidence. Once in the witness box though it would be difficult to elicit the truth if they have turned hostile toward the prosecution. Still a good idea though. I think the police will be looking very closely at Mr Orr's visit to Melanie in Hospital.

Dave Q

Coach
I tell you what Dave

there have been some corking good angles and diversions put forward in this thread.
Someone even managed to involve Nelson Mandela ffs.
But 5 years gaol for drinking near a kid after 10pm is a bit steep.
How near is too near.

...and if it did come to fruition I will blame Greg Bird when I tell my missus I have to go out every friday and Saturday nights to have a beer .

I cooled down a bit and addded a safety angle. Plus if someone else in the house isnt drunk and is able to look after the kids, theres the loophole.

Its just to try to discourage these maniacs who get drunk and argue in front of the kids. Sometimes theres violence with that. This is bad for the kids who have no control over it.

If everyone in the house is drunk and there is an emergency ( more likely to happen when people are off their heads) no-one is there to properly care for the kids.

As for the unusual posts etc, the Bird allegation has brought some of these issues to the surface. In that sense, I suppose theres some good coming out of it as people share their opinions and views.

As for Bird I still think he should be in the squad and if selected, he should play. This is because he is yet to be dealt with by the legal system.

These matters are still alleged, not proven at all despite what the police and media say.

If we dont subscribe to that, then we are undermining the legal system and a persons right to be considered as innocent until found or pleading guilty.

It is important to uphold the rule of law, as that is the only proetection we have against government and other individuals and entities who have significant resources at their disposal they can use to instill their will on the community.

Government is a result of a political process and as such its decisions can reflect what is in the governments or vested interests best interests and not society's.

And the price to pay is to tolerate a small delay until the legal system resolves the issue of Bird's culpability. Life will go on until then.

People have to remember that sometimes the cops make mistakes or get things wrong ( even if they are trying to do the righ thing). Thats why we have courts to review their allegations and make decisions.

So I will defend Bird's right to be considered as innocent until he is found or pleads guilty.

Its what I believe.

Accredited Idiot #142

Last edited:

The Dodger

First Grade
Bird denied any involvement when contacted yesterday afternoon. "Nah mate, nothing going on at all," he told the Herald. "I haven't been at home all day. Enjoy your Sunday ... "

how the f**k does that say he denied being involved in what happened?

macnaz

Staff member
The lawyer came out and said that katie "has expressed some disappointment in the number of inaccuracies contained in much of the media coverage of the incident".

So....

the way i see it.

Bird f**ked up, katie got hurt, Bird called manager, manager called katies lawyer, both agreed not to tarnish Birds name, Bird keeps his mouth shut and hides except denying the accusations, lawyer and manager are business partners, plea bargain or a deal done under that table, Bird will play for us next year.

I reckon bird did it but for all we know he threw a glass at a wall and it flew back at her or he's a bad aimer and was meant to hit a wall or something, we have no idea what really happened and no body will except them two, the ball is in katies court, i reckon it is up to her wether she'll just take cash or plead against him if anything did happen.

I predict we'll see him playing next year.
Thats the most honest realistic answer ive heard here so far, but if the police pursue the charges regarless of a witness maybe the part about him playing at the sharks next year wont eventuate.

Qld-Sharkie

Juniors
No he's not....that was Shane Marteene.

Shane Martene is the 89 year old codger you can always find sitting in the Paragon in Mudgee....just don't mention the war or Manly to him

I spent the majority of my miss-spent youth there....or the Federal.
Someone queue "Memories" please....

dannyboy

Juniors
I spent the majority of my miss-spent youth there....or the Federal.
Someone queue "Memories" please....

You'd know ol' Shane then. :p

I've been going up to Mudgee for over 20 years (have friends up there - my mate grew up there, left when school was finished & returned with his family some 20 years later). Man that place has changed over the last 20 years.

Qld-Sharkie

Juniors
You'd know ol' Shane then. :p

I've been going up to Mudgee for over 20 years (have friends up there - my mate grew up there, left when school was finished & returned with his family some 20 years later). Man that place has changed over the last 20 years.

I grew up there...fled like SBW when I was 18. Havent been back for about 10 years....but yeah, its changed. Parents still live there...

Status
Not open for further replies.