What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Bird charged with violent attack

If charges are dropped against Bird, should he return immediately?

• Yes

Votes: 85 50.9%
  • No

Votes: 77 46.1%
  • I don't know/maybe/depends, ie. I'm too weak to have an opinion

Votes: 5 3.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Frenzy.

Post Whore
Does Bird have a cut hand?

I mean, if you smash a glass into someone's face so hard it smashes and cuts them up the probability would be moderately high that the person holding the glass would suffer cuts as well.

Might of been some deoxyribonucleic acid left about.

Quigs

Immortal
does anyone here personally know a police officer???

Not offhand but Ive got friends in the Neighbourhood Watch.

If the purpose of your question is to slip some cash between party A and party B then I do know a good bagman.

Cheers
Declared Idiot #88
Quigs

samshark

Juniors
Does Bird have a cut hand?

I mean, if you smash a glass into someone's face so hard it smashes and cuts them up the probability would be moderately high that the person holding the glass would suffer cuts as well.

Might of been some deoxyribonucleic acid left about.

Nothing mentioned that he had a cut hand.

spider

Coach
in lieu of reports, speculation, yadda, yadda - still no statement from the victim

not that one is needed these days with the legislative reform in domestic violence as opposed to earlier times

bird was charged later that day on circumstantial evidence - so i would think the police had substantial reason to pursue

the media would know only a small portion of what actually transpired, if they know anything at all other than the obvious - the victim being injured

its sensible to think the police force take a dim view of the media in general and from that the media would have absolutely nothing but unsubstantiated claims from whatever source they can obtain - because the police would tell them only what was pertinent, and then i still think the media would come up short

and while on the media, how did no one get a picture of katie leaving the hospital....?

imagine pictures throughout the media of the victim wearing her battle scars...

so has bird faced trial in a sense by media - you could say he has

does bird look like he was caught holding the smoking gun - you could think so

but the one thing that i cant seem to shake is the fact he was charged on the day - not 12 hours later

it must be one hell of a compelling file the police have for no further developments to have taken place irrespective of a victims statement

at this point it seems as though she will deny the acidity of the sustained injuries

imo - i think when the facts of this case go to court, which they will regardless of a statement from the victim aquitting bird, and media speculation or beat up to this point, it will be a dark day in the life of greg bird

in lieu of reports, speculation, yadda, yadda - still no statement from the victim

not that one is needed these days with the legislative reform in domestic violence as opposed to earlier times

bird was charged later that day on circumstantial evidence - so i would think the police had substantial reason to pursue

the media would know only a small portion of what actually transpired, if they know anything at all other than the obvious - the victim being injured

its sensible to think the police force take a dim view of the media in general and from that the media would have absolutely nothing but unsubstantiated claims from whatever source they can obtain - because the police would tell them only what was pertinent, and then i still think the media would come up short

and while on the media, how did no one get a picture of katie leaving the hospital....?

imagine pictures throughout the media of the victim wearing her battle scars...

so has bird faced trial in a sense by media - you could say he has

does bird look like he was caught holding the smoking gun - you could think so

but the one thing that i cant seem to shake is the fact he was charged on the day - not 12 hours later

it must be one hell of a compelling file the police have for no further developments to have taken place irrespective of a victims statement

at this point it seems as though she will deny the acidity of the sustained injuries

imo - i think when the facts of this case go to court, which they will regardless of a statement from the victim aquitting bird, and media speculation or beat up to this point, it will be a dark day in the life of greg bird

Who cares spidey? WE WON! and we looked good doing it!

Seriously, for a second...good post mate.

WE WON, WE WON

samshark

Juniors
Was charged Sunday night. 12-14 hours after incident.

Good point about the no photo of Katie leaving the hospital. Thats the glory shot for them - an attractive young girl bandaged and disfigured from an NRL thug. Maybe she and her lawyer slipped out the back exit. Bad luck to the media.

TITAN1

Juniors
THE NRL could seek to have Greg Bird banned from playing in the English Super League if the Cronulla lock is found guilty of glassing his girlfriend in the face.
Bird was stood down indefinitely by the Sharks for allegedly assaulting Katie Milligan at his Cronulla unit early last Sunday morning.
The matter is scheduled to be heard in court on October 8 and Bird is expected to be sacked by the Sharks regardless of the outcome.
The NRL has already indicated Bird could be banned for life if found guilty, paving the way for the Test five-eighth to resurrect his career in England. However, chief executive David Gallop confirmed last night there were rules within the International Rugby League Federation governing bans or suspensions across countries.
The NRL boss first flagged the prospect of working with the RFL to extend an NRL ban to England after former Canberra halfback Todd Carney indicated he might not accept the Raiders' punishment for several alcohol related offences.
"There's already a reciprocatory rule in the International Federation rules governing judiciary suspensions and doping suspensions," Gallop said.
"However, it's too early to speculate how that would affect this situation. Generally we haven't applied those rules to behavioural situations."
Speaking from England last night, Rugby Football League executive chairman Richard Lewis said a good relationship existed between the two countries and he would work with Gallop on any issue.
"Our position on anything like this is it's essentially sub judice," Lewis said. "The guy's got a court case and until that's decided, he's innocent until proven guilty.
"However, the NRL and the RFL work very closely together and if we have a particular situation to deal with, we'll deal with it."
Police have indicated they want to speak to Milligan over the incident that led to Bird being charged with inflicting greivous bodily harm and spending a night in custody.
After being discharged from Prince of Wales Hospital on Thursday following eye surgery, Milligan issued a brief statement through a legal representative pleading for her privacy to be respected.
While police could proceed with a case against Bird without a victim impact statement, it could be harder to secure a conviction.
"At this stage she hasn't been re-interviewed but we're keen to speak to her again," a NSW police spokesperson said yesterday.
The case has dominated headlines this week, including a possible court order breach after Bird's manager, Gavin Orr, visited Milligan in hospital.
Milligan's legal representative, Campbell MacCallum, has also handled clients for Orr.
Speculation has increased that Bird could be sacked by the Sharks after PKF chartered accountants stopped short of pulling a $1million sponsorship following a meeting where they received reassurances from club officials.
Bird's potential ban from the NRL and Super League could end up being superfluous if Bird is found guilty.
However, it shows the NRL is taking the matter seriously and could be looking to close a loophole that allows players banned by the NRL to grab an immediate lifeline in England.
Former Cronulla hooker Tevita Latu took advantage of that after he was sacked by the Sharks and deregistered by the league for assaulting a teenage girl. He resumed his career with English club Wakefield. After being sacked by the Raiders and deregistered by the NRL for 2009, Carney is also believed to be close to sorting out his future with either Wigan or Huddersfield.
The Giants, who will be coached next season by St George Illawarra coach Nathan Brown, were believed to have their noses in front, although Wigan was poised to make a counter bid. There was another twist last night with Celtic Crusaders weighing in with a generous offer to lure Carney to guide the Welsh club in its inaugural season.
"I'll let the club announce it," Carney's manager David Riolo said last night. "I won't be really commenting on it. It's not done yet anyway, but it's close."

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,24263824-2722,00.html

Surely

Post Whore
Banned for life if guilty, i assume then societies stance on convicted criminals is they should never be able to work again.

Frenzy.

Post Whore
Banned for life?

The spin doctors are bandying about the big talk now aren't they.

The possibility that he'll be found guilty would see him do some time and get out in x years - on parole. This would stop him going to the UK or anywhere else anyway.

azzah72

Bench
I think this is a good honest article, apologies if it has been posted, didn't see it:

Players are on notice

By Rebecca Wilson | August 30, 2008 12:00am

HIS was the week rugby league struck back. For so long, badly behaved footballers have had a knack of stealing headlines from the real game and getting away with it.
There is no doubt Greg Bird ruined the week, and possibly the season, for his team when he allegedly glassed his girlfriend in the early hours of last Saturday morning.
The back pages should have been full of the Sharks' great win last weekend and the very real prospect they may finish in the top two teams of 2008.
Instead, we read on the front page that the champion Cronulla lock allegedly spent the night drinking and arguing with his girlfriend before everything went pear-shaped and Katie Milligan ended up in hospital with a fractured eye socket and a lacerated eye.
Milligan may well decide not to make a statement against her boyfriend. Either way, Bird will still face a court. He is charged with assault occasioning grievous bodily harm.
Safe to say that this time last year, though, Bird would most likely have still donned his sky-blue jersey this week and played in the match that could decide the Sharks' finals prospects for the year.
The club would have thrown us the "innocent until proved guilty" line and allowed the judgments to come from the legal world. But Cronulla's fans and sponsors demanded action, spurred on by claims Bird made the terrible decision to lay blame for the alleged assault at his flatmate's feet.
No matter what a court decides now, Bird's reputation has been indelibly tarnished in the Sutherland Shire and beyond. His indefinite demise, which followed closely on the heels of the sacking of Todd Carney from the Canberra Raiders, proves that rugby league bosses are finally realising that this stuff simply cannot be tolerated.
Carney is the one who publicly urinated on a mate's leg at a nightclub in Canberra several weeks ago.
At a time of the year when neither team could afford to lose a star, Carney and Bird's bosses decided enough was enough. Bird will never wear that blue jersey again, whether or not he is found guilty or innocent. Carney won't be seen anywhere for a while either.
An obviously shattered Sharks coach, Ricky Stuart, and his chief executive, Tony Zappia, swiftly cut Bird earlier this week. The public backlash and the implications of Bird's alleged actions were simply too much for a club and its fans to take.
Stuart is feeling particularly betrayed. He had taken a troubled Bird under his wing and turned him into a champion.
Off the field, too, Bird appeared to have transformed himself into a reasonably decent young man. The result was his humiliating suspension - and a very cloudy future in rugby league.
Fox Sports US boss, David Hill, told a gathering of rugby league administrators last year that the NFL in the US had adopted a no-tolerance approach to bad player behaviour for several seasons.
He advised them strongly to follow suit. But rugby league and the other football codes have been far too forgiving beasts for that.
Very few clubs are willing to make examples of players, let alone their big stars. The cynical nature of sport has meant that winning has been placed above sensibility as clubs have turned a blind eye to appalling antics.
The West Coast Eagles copped Ben Cousins for way too long.
The culture at the Canterbury Bulldogs has been rotten for years because club bosses allowed badly behaved players to run the place.
Thank goodness a stronger management is now in place.
Rugby union had its fair share of boofheads too - blokes who wreaked havoc on away trips and managed to escape with only minor penalties.
The sacking of the Western Force's Matt Henjak earlier this year, after he broke another player's jaw in an ugly nightclub incident, was a portent of what we can expect from footy codes as they try desperately to move their sports to the back of the paper again.
It is too early to say what will become of Greg Bird.
That is for a court to decide.
But there is no doubt that the Sharks will be a better club for their decision to cut him this week.
Bird's manager, Gavin Orr, has already visited Bird's girlfriend in spite of a court order preventing any third parties associated with the axed Cronulla star from seeing her.
Milligan's lawyers are also associated with Orr so it remains to be seen if the young woman will make a statement against her boyfriend.
As the final sad chapter is played out in a courtroom, something good has at least come of the entire affair.
Footy clubs have handed their players notice that the old adage that the player is always right won't stick any more.
The worm has finally turned.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,24263704-5016307,00.html#

Surely

Post Whore
Rebecca Numbnuts said:
It is too early to say what will become of Greg Bird.
That is for a court to decide.

But there is no doubt that the Sharks will be a better club for their decision to cut him this week

Yes nice contradiction there Rebecca.

Well IMO it is probably one the most balanced and non judgemental (ie; not over sensationalising the situation) articles I have read this week. It supports, nay even applaudes, the decision to stand Bird down and acknowledges the fans and sponsors as caring human beings to have sought some action by the club. The article does not paint Bird a monster and does not suggest guilt or innocence. If fact its quite honsest in saying it is a wait and see what comes from the case.

Nice work Rebecca..the article probably wont sell NEWS Ltd papers but at least its an honest one.

Frenzy.

Post Whore
What sort of glass was it? Schooner glass? Fragile little champagne flute? A piece of window pane? An old glass thermometer?

Be interesting to know.

Rexxy

Coach
What sort of glass was it? Schooner glass? Fragile little champagne flute? A piece of window pane? An old glass thermometer?

Be interesting to know.

I always thought having those old pewter mugs around was sort of 50s Aussie kitch.

Like sizzle plates and beer mugs you store in the freezer.

But if Birdie's place had been decked out in tankards - he would have played last night.

Frenzy.

Post Whore
I always thought having those old pewter mugs around was sort of 50s Aussie kitch.

Like sizzle plates and beer mugs you store in the freezer.

But if Birdie's place had been decked out in tankards - he would have played last night.

Without assuming guilt OR innocence. Birdbrain has been an accident waiting to happen for years. Well up on my list of unfavourite players since he came to the club I've been starting to warm to him this year based on his footy. But seems certain beliefs I (and others) had about him and his character MAY be correct. Gregory Allan Bird - where there's smoke there's Gregory.

Tankard or Glass? Would it of mattered Rexxxy? There's conjecture over the facial fracture. Wouldn't be if a tankard had been used.................

Anyway, I'm interested in the type of glass because a lot of people here are throwing out theories about what might of happened but most won't fit unless the type of "weapon" is known.

Throwing flutes at 100 paces might cut someone as the flute might shatter easily but wouldn't in all likelyhood cause a facial fracture (theoretical). I doubt my old Sharks glass beer mug would smash under a 20 pound sledge though.

Too much not known for theorising IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts