What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Bird charged with violent attack

If charges are dropped against Bird, should he return immediately?

• Yes

Votes: 85 50.9%
  • No

Votes: 77 46.1%
  • I don't know/maybe/depends, ie. I'm too weak to have an opinion

Votes: 5 3.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Special K

Coach
I don't think it will make it to court and if it does I think it would be more for the lie then the incident.

Would the club still want to act so harshly on that?

I think the smart business decision would be to keep bird, keep your best player happy and your coach happy. I know they are professionals but an unhappy sticky and unhappy gallen could be disastrous for us on the field which would unquestionably lead to bad news for us off the field. Just because we are at the top of the ladder this year and made some handy signings that does not mean we will be in this position next year - look at the Tigers after 05.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
I don't think it will make it to court and if it does I think it would be more for the lie then the incident.

Would the club still want to act so harshly on that?

I think the smart business decision would be to keep bird, keep your best player happy and your coach happy. I know they are professionals but an unhappy sticky and unhappy gallen could be disastrous for us on the field which would unquestionably lead to bad news for us off the field. Just because we are at the top of the ladder this year and made some handy signings that does not mean we will be in this position next year - look at the Tigers after 05.
I reckon they will definitely proceed. Remember she can be compelled to give evidence. If she refuses to answer or remains evasive it will probably lead to it be dismissed but the police will be seen to have done their job and not libel for costs etc.

millersnose

Post Whore
good post special k but i beleive you are wrong on 2 counts

1. the sponsors have already met with the club and walked away with what they beleive was a commitment that their interests will be looked after

2. related to 1 - you bought up hoppa who was effectively tossed out of the game - he was a thug who stuck his pinger in guys butts and rampaged on head high tackles. - however the perception will always be that bird bashed a girl...in fact most would have the perception he smashed a glass in her face... her delay in making a statement exonerating him has forever painted the perception to the public that she is complicit in a cover up

so being acquited may help him avoid a jail term it will do little to get him back on the field

spider

Coach
dont forget mate that domestic violence laws have changed

its taken out of the hands of the victims these days, so if it does go to court i think bird will be in a bit of bother

I think the smart business decision would be to keep bird, keep your best player happy and your coach happy.
but its the sponsors financial dealings that enable the club to field a team

off the back of everything the media has published, imo they only know 10% of what really occurred on that day

Special K

Coach
The club could spin it as they have looked after their interests. PKF have looked like saints through this incident.

They could suspend Bird from the pre season and have him go the U/20s camp and work with the games youngsters about the pressures of the media, giving a first hand view on how one nigh can change it all.

If Katie and her dad come out and say it was a accident or whatever then I tend to believe them. If I had a daughter who got glassed then it would take a lot of evidence for me to believe her that it was a accident let alone let her support greg in public or do it myself.

With PKF on board we need to see what LG is thinking. I am of the belief that if you can keep those to happy then you can replace the others.

Plenty of players have perceptions. A few years ago everyone heard a rumour about Mason and everyone thought he was what the rumour said. Thats blown over. Everyone thought the Dogs club was a bunch of rapists - they were able to get sponsorship, people to the games and even win the comp. Watmough had a AVO out on him from his partner didn't he?

Lafi Manua held up a service station at gun point and did time. Within two years or so of getting out(after 4 years doing time) he made his first grade debut at the Roosters.

Birdy missing the finals the club can say thats a sufficient penalty for this actions which may not be true and let him play next year when its blown over.

spider

Coach
your thoughts and dedication are of the utmost qualities K

but all this talk of birdy can do this, or do that, to make up for it - i get the feeling you may think he has a case to answer

i agree cheese, it will be a crying shame to lose the best lock we have had

Omnishark2

Juniors
Oh please ... how can you possibly miss a cover up when it's whacking you over the head with a big sign saying "COVER UP IN PROGRESS" ?

If it was a genuine accident, Bird would not have asked his mate to take the blame, and lied to Zappa about the incident.

Forget about blaming the media, focus on the objective police facts. The police statements in the first hearing show there were serious inconsistencies in Bird's story. They were closest to the actual evidence, and they were absolutely unconvinced by his story. And they investigate a lot of domestic violence incidents.

Yes his girlfriend looks like being a defence witness now (bet that's never happened in a domestic violence case before!). And yes the prosecution case is already weakened.

But it won't matter - Bird is finished with the Sharks regardless of the court case outcome.

You're all scrambling pathetically to try to find mitigating circumstances for what he allegedly did. There is no valid excuse ... "accident" or not, I don't want someobe with his issues playing in a Sharks jersey again, no matter how good a player he is.

As a club we need to forget about the Bird case and focus on the job at hand - our best finals chance for 7 years.

Special K

Coach
your thoughts and dedication are of the utmost qualities K

but all this talk of birdy can do this, or do that, to make up for it - i get the feeling you may think he has a case to answer

i agree cheese, it will be a crying shame to lose the best lock we have had
I've tried to explain it as if he does have a case to answer and ways to achieve positive PR out of this like PKF did. I think its achievable but maybe that is my marketing degree talking and not my common sense :lol:

I just think if he is innocent he should be back at the sharks next season.

cronullashark

Juniors
dont forget mate that domestic violence laws have changed

its taken out of the hands of the victims these days, so if it does go to court i think bird will be in a bit of bother

but its the sponsors financial dealings that enable the club to field a team

off the back of everything the media has published, imo they only know 10% of what really occurred on that day

what the sponser did was only to get themselves some media coverage, it was reported that it was a million dollar deal, i know that the sleeve sponsor deal is well off a million dollar deal , it struggles to get to triple figures, they can piss off for all i car and given that we performed this year we will get a more benificial deal for the coming years.

spider

Coach
I just think if he is innocent he should be back at the sharks next season.
yes - but the only way his innocense can be proved is if it goes to court

what the sponser did was only to get themselves some media coverage, it was reported that it was a million dollar deal, i know that the sleeve sponsor deal is well off a million dollar deal , it struggles to get to triple figures, they can piss off for all i car and given that we performed this year we will get a more benificial deal for the coming years.
it was a great opportunity for PKF to grab some from publicity

and the million dollar deal is over 3 years, not 1

blacktip-reefy

Immortal

Thats not true. Even if it goes to court, the mud will stick & he will always be known for this incident.
it is human nature to follow the media & assume guilt.
there are 2 people there, 2 are saying there was no attack.
Then there was no attack. End of story.

cronullashark

Juniors

it was a great opportunity for PKF to grab some from publicity

and the million dollar deal is over 3 years, not 1

i am aware of it being a 3 year deal, that is what makes the deal an embarasment, remember how close to the start of the season we did not have a sleeve sponsor, PKF got an absolute bargain and then they go and try to throw some weight around please for under 100,000 a season kindly go and we will get what i believe we are worth.

spider

Coach
Thats not true. Even if it goes to court, the mud will stick & he will always be known for this incident.
i agree media can tarnish and mud will stick

but i was referring to him 'being deemed innocent', and that is the only way he can be deemed so, through court proceedings

there are 2 people there, 2 are saying there was no attack.
Then there was no attack. End of story.
she has not stated there was no attack

if she were too say he didnt do it, i refer back to the new domestic violence legislation

if two people say there was no attack - how did she sustain the facial injuries?

i PKF got an absolute bargain and then they go and try to throw some weight around please for under 100,000 a season kindly go and we will get what i believe we are worth.
i thought it was $300k per season...?

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
If she comes out & says there was no attack. if she comes out & says it was an accident. If he comes out & says there was no attack. If he says it was an accident.
The result is clear.
There was no attack. There was an accident. no matter what the police, the media & the public want to charge him with.
He is innocent of the charges & the charges were dropped.

macnaz

Staff member
Oh please ... how can you possibly miss a cover up when it's whacking you over the head with a big sign saying "COVER UP IN PROGRESS" ?

If it was a genuine accident, Bird would not have asked his mate to take the blame, and lied to Zappa about the incident.

Forget about blaming the media, focus on the objective police facts. The police statements in the first hearing show there were serious inconsistencies in Bird's story. They were closest to the actual evidence, and they were absolutely unconvinced by his story. And they investigate a lot of domestic violence incidents.

Yes his girlfriend looks like being a defence witness now (bet that's never happened in a domestic violence case before!). And yes the prosecution case is already weakened.

But it won't matter - Bird is finished with the Sharks regardless of the court case outcome.

You're all scrambling pathetically to try to find mitigating circumstances for what he allegedly did. There is no valid excuse ... "accident" or not, I don't want someobe with his issues playing in a Sharks jersey again, no matter how good a player he is.

As a club we need to forget about the Bird case and focus on the job at hand - our best finals chance for 7 years.
Pity guys like reefy dont make as much sense as you do omni! Some of the ppl here are deluded....fair dinkum!!

Status
Not open for further replies.