What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Bird charged with violent attack

If charges are dropped against Bird, should he return immediately?

• Yes

Votes: 85 50.9%
  • No

Votes: 77 46.1%
  • I don't know/maybe/depends, ie. I'm too weak to have an opinion

Votes: 5 3.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Q

Coach
It seems to me that if it was an accident, the advice would have been that they all tell their version of the events asap to the cops.

Where there is a delay, there is time and resources available to consult with each other on the version of events they want the police to believe.

But if they are concocting a story, they want to get out of bed pretty early.

This is a high profile case involving alleged domestic violence. The cops are under pressure to be at their best.

If a crime was committed, we the people, want a conviction.

Nuffs

Bench
if she took off her over-sized spectacles, then we might see what a fractured eye-socket looks like

at the moment, it just looks like she's got a fairly tame scar above her eye-brow

Dave Q

Coach
if she took off her over-sized spectacles, then we might see what a fractured eye-socket looks like

at the moment, it just looks like she's got a fairly tame scar above her eye-brow

Yeah I noticed the large ugly sunnies too.

What happened to the good old fashioned jumper over the head??!

She couldnt quite sell them as fashionable, they just looked like oversize sunnies fit for purpose (to hide a bad scar or stitches)

Methinks, if the cops or hospital took photo's, they'll be plenty of blood-curdling bruised face mug-shots to frighten the jury with.

Shes a trooper for Birdy so far.

SharkShocked

Bench
Spider,

I understand what your getting at there, but cmon, the females these days always go for those stupid looking over sized sunnies to hide their face.

This time, they are actually serving a purpose

The Dodger

First Grade
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,21964035-5001028,00.html
Rugby league player given AVO

MANLY rugby league player Anthony Watmough has been ordered to stay away from his former partner for 12 months following accusations of a string of violent attacks.
The 23-year-old Sea Eagles second rower was today slapped with an apprehended violence order (AVO) in Sydney's Manly Local Court, where his former partner of seven years Gillian Rixon, 24, claimed he abused her on several occasions in 2004 and 2005.

Watmough, wearing a navy blue pin-stripe suit and pink shirt looked downcast as Magistrate Jane Culver ordered him to stay at least 100 metres away from Ms Rixon's North Narrabeen home and workplace.

Watmough, from Harbord, is not allowed to contact Ms Rixon, or any close relation of hers, unless it is through legal representations.

The court heard that Ms Rixon feared more violence from Watmough, whom she said had assaulted her on three occasions after drinking heavily.

On one occasion, Watmough is alleged to have pushed Ms Rixon into a table at the Manly Wharf Bar on New Year's Eve 2004/05, and of throwing coins and a chair at her later in the evening at her unit.

Watmough's lawyer Garry Gillet dismissed Ms Rixon's statements as "fabrications and lies'' but magistrate Jane Culver said her evidence was "clearly reliable''.

"It was clear to me when cross examined about the particular details Ms Rixon had a very clear recall of what occurred,'' Magistrate Culver told the court.

"The evidence she gave was spontaneous and was based upon a great deal of of recall.

"I find that Ms Rixon was genuine, credible and that her evidence did accord with common sense.''

Watmough is also accused of assaulting Ms Rixon outside the Manly home of his manager, George Mimis, on January 21, 2005 at 5am, where he and fellow Sea Eagles player Travis Burns were entertaining two women.

Watmough denied any violent behaviour, but Magistrate Culver said: "If they were as the defendant suggests just standing in front of the gate, why would police officers come up to the door?''.

The court also heard today that when police attended the scene outside Mr Mimis' house,
Watmough threatened to take away financial support from Ms Rixon if she spoke up.

It is alleged that Watmough said: "I've got the money, I've got the power, I'll take everything from you''.

Ms Rixon earlier gave evidence that an intoxicated Watmough tried to jam her in between sliding doors after the two attended a 21st birthday party in August 2004.

Mr Gillet told the court that the incident didn't occur and that Watmough was not drunk because he was able to play a full 80 minutes of first grade NRL against Wests Tigers the following day, but Magistrate Culver said "I don't think I can say no footballers drink a fair amount of alcohol on the night before a match''.

No police charges have been laid over any of the incidents.

The court also heard that Watmough had believed his relationship with Ms Rixon had ended in December 2005, but Magistrate Culver accepted that Ms Rixon believed the relationship was continuing.

During the hearing, Watmough called three witnesses including Mr Mimis, Mr Byrnes, and friend Jesse Bird, who testified against Rixon's recollection of events.

But Magistrate Culver questioned the reliability of their evidence, also taking into account photographs showing bruises on Ms Rixon's arms.

Generalzod

Immortal
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,21964035-5001028,00.html
Rugby league player given AVO

MANLY rugby league player Anthony Watmough has been ordered to stay away from his former partner for 12 months following accusations of a string of violent attacks.
The 23-year-old Sea Eagles second rower was today slapped with an apprehended violence order (AVO) in Sydney's Manly Local Court, where his former partner of seven years Gillian Rixon, 24, claimed he abused her on several occasions in 2004 and 2005.

Watmough, wearing a navy blue pin-stripe suit and pink shirt looked downcast as Magistrate Jane Culver ordered him to stay at least 100 metres away from Ms Rixon's North Narrabeen home and workplace.

Watmough, from Harbord, is not allowed to contact Ms Rixon, or any close relation of hers, unless it is through legal representations.

The court heard that Ms Rixon feared more violence from Watmough, whom she said had assaulted her on three occasions after drinking heavily.

On one occasion, Watmough is alleged to have pushed Ms Rixon into a table at the Manly Wharf Bar on New Year's Eve 2004/05, and of throwing coins and a chair at her later in the evening at her unit.

Watmough's lawyer Garry Gillet dismissed Ms Rixon's statements as "fabrications and lies'' but magistrate Jane Culver said her evidence was "clearly reliable''.

"It was clear to me when cross examined about the particular details Ms Rixon had a very clear recall of what occurred,'' Magistrate Culver told the court.

"The evidence she gave was spontaneous and was based upon a great deal of of recall.

"I find that Ms Rixon was genuine, credible and that her evidence did accord with common sense.''

Watmough is also accused of assaulting Ms Rixon outside the Manly home of his manager, George Mimis, on January 21, 2005 at 5am, where he and fellow Sea Eagles player Travis Burns were entertaining two women.

Watmough denied any violent behaviour, but Magistrate Culver said: "If they were as the defendant suggests just standing in front of the gate, why would police officers come up to the door?''.

The court also heard today that when police attended the scene outside Mr Mimis' house,
Watmough threatened to take away financial support from Ms Rixon if she spoke up.

It is alleged that Watmough said: "I've got the money, I've got the power, I'll take everything from you''.

Ms Rixon earlier gave evidence that an intoxicated Watmough tried to jam her in between sliding doors after the two attended a 21st birthday party in August 2004.

Mr Gillet told the court that the incident didn't occur and that Watmough was not drunk because he was able to play a full 80 minutes of first grade NRL against Wests Tigers the following day, but Magistrate Culver said "I don't think I can say no footballers drink a fair amount of alcohol on the night before a match''.

No police charges have been laid over any of the incidents.

The court also heard that Watmough had believed his relationship with Ms Rixon had ended in December 2005, but Magistrate Culver accepted that Ms Rixon believed the relationship was continuing.

During the hearing, Watmough called three witnesses including Mr Mimis, Mr Byrnes, and friend Jesse Bird, who testified against Rixon's recollection of events.

But Magistrate Culver questioned the reliability of their evidence, also taking into account photographs showing bruises on Ms Rixon's arms.

Whatknow is allowed to play...Double standards

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
The statements that are ambiguous, open, inconclusive, surrounded in red tape & reek of "pass the buck"
I really loved the police statements from Brisbane too. Then the video evidence came out to prove everything they said was a lie.
Its a two way street.

Omnishark2

Juniors
There was nothing ambiguous in the police statements I read ... it all pointed one way.

This is just another domestic violence case to them, they have nothing to gain by not being objective.

Dave Q

Coach
Bird should be rushed back into the side for the big matches ahead.

He can wear a pair of big sunnies and a helmet so nobody can recognise him.

Shane Martene can then run onto the field, Bird wont be able to handle it and will set about to smash him s*&tless and therefore expose his prescence to nervous sponsors.

The difference between Whatnow and Bird is that the glass involved survived the encounter with the former.

Sorry, that last joke was paneful.

Accredited Idiot #142.

Last edited:
We may never know what happened, whether it was an accident or an assault, if both Milligan and Bird say it was an accident. In that case I think the DPP might not pursue the case due to lack of evidence. A jury would not be able to say Bird was guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

It's not over even for Bird if the charges in the current matter are dropped. He has been summonsed over another alleged assault. The there are the allegations that he tried to decieve Police by blaming his mate for the injury.

Ausguy

Coach
im a bit undecided... id love to see him back but who knows. i cant see zap letting him back to be honest... 350k.... whos free? i got an idea... re-sign the leading point scorer for a start.... and secodnly get a centre with speed...

Frenzy.

Post Whore
There was nothing ambiguous in the police statements I read ... it all pointed one way.

This is just another domestic violence case to them, they have nothing to gain by not being objective.

Just curious on something Omni. You read the actual statements or you read how they were reported in the media?

Status
Not open for further replies.