What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Inglis avoids conviction over assault

elbusto

Coach
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...14/2655517.htm
The girlfriend of Melbourne Storm rugby league star Greg Inglis has made a new statement to police that her lawyer says may clear him of assault charges.
Inglis, regarded as one of the world's best rugby league players, was charged with unlawful assault and recklessly causing injury to his girlfriend, Sally Robinson, during an alleged altercation at their western suburbs home on Sunday.
He also was indefinitely suspended from the club, while Ms Robinson allegedly suffered a black eye.
The Age newspaper has reported that her solicitor, Bob Galbally, has provided police with a new statement and other significant facts which they were not aware of when Inglis was charged.
It is believed Ms Robinson now says she suffered the black eye accidentally when Inglis tried to stop her harming herself.
In a statement to the newspaper, Mr Galbally says he is concerned the public has been left with the wrong impression of what occurred.
He says he is hopeful that once the full facts are able to be investigated, it will be found that no offences have been committed.
Melbourne Storm chief executive Brian Waldron told the newspaper that Ms Robinson has been re-interviewed by police and that he expects Inglis will also be re-interviewed.
The case, heard briefly in the Sunshine Magistrates Court on Wednesday, was adjourned for two weeks.

Brutus

Referee
This won't stop a show like the Offsiders going to town on RL again this Sunday after conveniently overlooking an AFL drug raid/charge last week.

Billythekid

First Grade
So will the networks that basically ran 10 minute propaganda pieces (i.e 7 and 10 news in particular) come out and apologise if he is found innocent?

The truth is rather elusive in cases like this.

I would imagine whatever the outcome of the court case, if any, Inglis' mental state is going to be so poor that it won't be any good putting him on the park anyway.

Agree...a million versions will come out which is the most frustrating thing.

IMO it may be the best thing to get him out on the park again...this is where he may feel most comfortable.

elbusto

Coach
Probably out of respect to his partner...how do you not know that this was not disclosed which is why the judge has adjourned the case.
I agree - and you have to remember that in cases like this the police immediately put the woman in a safe place through a restraining order - its a 'guilty till proven innocent' process introduced by cops - there is little else they can do.

In any case, in a legal matter like this a person would be told to keep quiet while the matter is being investigated.

Noa

First Grade
That's a fair change of story.

But understandable. Theres no way GI or Sally would have wanted her mental fragility to be publicised.

I was involved in a similar situation a long time ago now so I can sympathise

Gaba

First Grade
I agree - and you have to remember that in cases like this the police immediately put the woman in a safe place through a restraining order - its a 'guilty till proven innocent' process introduced by cops - there is little else they can do.

In any case, in a legal matter like this a person would be told to keep quiet while the matter is being investigated.
people have the right to make a statement , inglis you would think would made a statement in his defence.

Its still all a bit sus for me,that all of a sudden the victim has made a new statement ,

But understandable. Theres no way GI or Sally would have wanted her mental fragility to be publicised.

I was involved in a similar situation a long time ago now so I can sympathise

Exactly...you are not going to throw this to the press just to save your own rep. If this is true then it makes GI's actions more respectful.

Gaba

First Grade
Exactly...you are not going to throw this to the press just to save your own rep. If this is true then it makes GI's actions more respectful.

Well no one in thier right mind would just accept to be charged and risk losing a good paying job and reputation as inglis is.

It didnt stop her to comeout with this now, instead of the victim changing her statement why wasnt it in the original statement
you have to wonder what the victim first statement was

Last edited:

Parra

Referee
Magistrates will not consider you a reputable witness until you have provided your third statement.

The two-statement defence didn't work so well for Katie Milligan & Greg Bird. Maybe Inglis & Co have a better shot at it. After all, it wouldn't be too hard to get the botox provider on the stand.

Latest posts