What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Inglis avoids conviction over assault

melbourne_belle

Juniors
Cameron Smith was on NRL on Fox tonight and he said Inglis has some off field issues he needs to address. sounds to me like he's had them for awhile and things have just come to a head now.
Pretty sure he has had a few off field issues, pretty much the reason why Melbourne helped him move his parents down here. They live with him but were away when this incident happened.

I believe Botox can give you bruising. I don't think that this is why she had black eyes. The article says Inglis is out indefinitely, does that mean until a verdict has been reached? Will he be back this year?

Kiki

First Grade
Is it a possibility that this whole thing is a media beat up ???..

i'm pretty sure cops don't arrest people for assault because of a 'media beat up'.

but of course the media is blowing it up like they do with everything. its just the way it is.

Kiki

First Grade
belle thats interesting about his parents moving in. i had heard some pretty crazy stories about what he gets up to off the field but i wasn't sure to believe them or not. turns out they might be closer to the mark when i thought.

bartman

Immortal
Danny Weidler basically said "it's not his go" on the Footy Show.

But of course Danny has a Mundine/Nasser connection, and so automatically defending GI fits his modus operandi quite nicely.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/lhq...nce-offers-hope/2009/08/13/1249756400913.html

Girlfriend puts new slant on Inglis row

Steve Butcher | August 14, 2009

THE girlfriend of National Rugby League and Melbourne Storm superstar Greg Inglis has revealed new information to police that may ultimately clear him of assaulting her.

Sally Robinson yesterday handed investigators a lengthy statement that provides a different version of events to the one she had previously given.

The signed statement is believed to reveal specific information about what triggered the altercation. It is understood to refer to Inglis trying to disarm Ms Robinson while she was in the process of self-harm.

Ms Robinson decided earlier this week to get independent legal advice about her actions and Inglis' role.

The Age reported this week that Ms Robinson had earlier told police she did not want Inglis charged, and claimed recent Botox treatment had caused some of the bruising on her face.

She was also said to have admitted being ''in Greg's face'' when he allegedly palmed her away.

Inglis, 22, an Australian representative player regarded as one of the world's best, has been charged with intentionally causing injury and unlawful assault.

When contacted by The Age last night, Ms Robinson's solicitor, Bob Galbally, confirmed she had made a fresh statement that had been handed to detectives.

Mr Galbally, of the firm Galbally Rolfe, told The Age in a statement: ''I can confirm that I have provided police with a new statement and other significant facts which they were not aware of when Mr Inglis was charged.

''I am concerned that the public have been left with the wrong impression of what occurred on August 9. Now that the full facts are able to be investigated.

''I am hoping the conclusion will be that no offences have been committed.''

Inglis, who appeared in Sunshine Magistrates Court on Wednesday, has been indefinitely suspended by the club.

Melbourne Storm chief executive Brian Waldron told The Age that Ms Robinson had been re-interviewed yesterday by police and that he expected Inglis would also be re-interviewed. He said Ms Robinson had been receiving individual counselling in addition to that provided by the club.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,25925632-2722,00.html

Greg Inglis may have been trying to help Sally Robinson

Peter Kogoy and Brent Read | August 14, 2009
Article from: The Australian

THE Greg Inglis case took a bizarre twist last night when claims emerged he may have been trying to protect his ex-girlfriend in the incident that allegedly led to her suffering a black eye.

While Victoria police refused to comment on details of the case against Inglis yesterday, The Australian understands it has been suggested the Storm and Queensland centre intervened because he feared Sally Robinson may have been attempting to hurt herself.

It is believed Robinson, who remains in Melbourne, confirmed the version of events when she was re-interviewed by police yesterday. Inglis, who is under an indefinite suspension, will also be re-interviewed by police, but it appears he may have been acting to help Robinson.

The latest developments could signal a shift in the Inglis case. The NRL star has been charged with recklessly causing injury and unlawful assault following the incident, which occurred on Sunday morning at Robinson's house.

He has also been stood down from all duties with his club and the game - Inglis is one of the Australian Rugby League's indigenous ambassadors - pending the outcome of the police investigation.

Melbourne chief executive Brian Waldron declined to comment last night on anything to do with the investigation involving Inglis. He said the club's only concern was making sure Inglis and Robinson were supported through a difficult period.

"I can confirm Sally Robinson was re-interviewed by police today," Waldron said.

"We anticipate Greg Inglis will be re-interviewed in due course. The most important thing to remember here is that as a concerned participant, our only concern is the health, safety and well-being of the parties involved, especially Sally.

"This is a really difficult period for all parties and we will continue to provide support to those that are individually counselling Greg and Sally during this time."

A spokeswoman for Victoria Police offered a polite "no comment" when quizzed about the incident.

"The matter is before the courts," she said.

Police sources, however, confirmed the incident preceding the charges occurred at the home Robinson had moved to after splitting with Inglis several weeks ago. Other sources claimed to The Australian that Inglis had been acting to help Robinson.

Inglis appeared in Sunshine Magistrates Court on Wednesday and the case was adjourned until August 26. He and Robinson have been receiving ongoing counselling separately.

While the welfare of Inglis and Robinson is the Storm's primary concern, the club has also reached a pivotal time in its season. Without Inglis, some believe it stands little hope of winning a second premiership in three years.

Former NSW and Australia five-eighth Laurie Daley warned the club would struggle to go deep into the finals without arguably its best player.

Although Inglis has been inconsistent at times this season, he remains one of the game's genuine gamebreakers. He was recently awarded the Wally Lewis Medal for best player in the State of Origin series.

"You forget his presence," Daley said. "He can intimidate teams just with his name. While Dane Nielsen might do the same amount of work that Greg Inglis does in a game, you are always on your toes if Inglis is there.

"That's not being disrespectful to Dane. But the issue of marking Greg and the mentality you need to face him is the difference."

So can Melbourne win a grand final without him?

"Maybe a one-off game they can if they're fresh and ready to go and prepared well they could," Daley said.

"But given where they are at the moment I doubt Melbourne can do it without him."

However, Melbourne prop Robbie Kearns insisted coach Craig Bellamy would be able to get the best out of his side even without Inglis at his disposal.

"You don't replace guys like Greg Inglis," Kearns said.

"He's one of the best players, if not the best player in the world. It's hard to replace him. The one good thing about Craig and his coaching staff is that no matter who he puts in there ... he puts a lot of faith in them. He makes players believe in themselves.

Additional reporting: Margie McDonald

m0nty

Juniors
The truth is rather elusive in cases like this.

I would imagine whatever the outcome of the court case, if any, Inglis' mental state is going to be so poor that it won't be any good putting him on the park anyway.

sallymay

Juniors
paints a very sad picture

If any of the self halm stuff is true then it kinda explains why he is upset getting in trouble for helping someone

but if its not true and they have made it up then that is even sadder
sorry but thats what my thoughts are just venting

Last edited:

sallymay

Juniors
New take on Inglis assault case

The girlfriend of Melbourne Storm rugby league star Greg Inglis has made a new statement to police that her lawyer says may clear him of assault charges.
Inglis, regarded as one of the world's best rugby league players, was charged with unlawful assault and recklessly causing injury to his girlfriend, Sally Robinson, during an alleged altercation at their western suburbs home on Sunday.
He also was indefinitely suspended from the club, while Ms Robinson allegedly suffered a black eye.
The Age newspaper has reported that her solicitor, Bob Galbally, has provided police with a new statement and other significant facts which they were not aware of when Inglis was charged.
It is believed Ms Robinson now says she suffered the black eye accidentally when Inglis tried to stop her harming herself.
In a statement to the newspaper, Mr Galbally says he is concerned the public has been left with the wrong impression of what occurred.
He says he is hopeful that once the full facts are able to be investigated, it will be found that no offences have been committed.
Melbourne Storm chief executive Brian Waldron told the newspaper that Ms Robinson has been re-interviewed by police and that he expects Inglis will also be re-interviewed.
The case, heard briefly in the Sunshine Magistrates Court on Wednesday, was adjourned for two weeks.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/08/14/2655517.htm

i actully feel kinda sad reading that for sally i mean

pcpp

Juniors
Hopefully the revised version is true and he will be cleared.

And if Greg is cleared, you can bet it won't be front page of the Herald Sun (or any other paper).

belle thats interesting about his parents moving in. i had heard some pretty crazy stories about what he gets up to off the field but i wasn't sure to believe them or not. turns out they might be closer to the mark when i thought.

And everything that you have heard is to be believed ??...

Latest posts