What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Inglis headed to South Sydney - no players to be shed

Status
Not open for further replies.

haha

Juniors
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...l-as-souths-deal-drags-on-20101217-190ov.html

Disgraceful. Well, he did come out and say a few months ago he would never play for a Sydney team. Can't exactly trust his word.

Just another space filler in the weekends paper.

So far in the off season the media have said:

I.Luke to parra
B.Champion signed with parra
J.Vai Vai to parra
M.Crocker to parra
R.Asotasi to newcastle
Schubert to knock back deal
Crowe to be investigated for salary cap breaches
Gallop assuring Inglis he would be at souths

I dont believe the media have been correct on any of the above as of yet.

These articles highlight just how much sh*t the media write and how inept that Ian Schubert and David Gallop are.

I think if he wanted to play AFL he would have left by now.

Last edited:

BunniesMan

Immortal
The first line?
I lol'd. There are no quotes, it's a BS article that makes no logical test. The day before Gallop met with him. And I'm sure Souths have assured him that even in a worst case scenario with Schubert they'll make room for him if necessary.
re Souffs and Super League. From what I've heard about Souffs' dealing during the era, they've got some big skeletons in their closet, and have no right to pretend to be the poor, innocent club.

They owe their continued existence to the loyalty of Easts and Manly
Of course any club that didn't go to super league did a good thing. But it was the right thing, do you want to be congratulated for doing what you were supposed to? Hey, I haven't punched anyone in the face today, someone give me a high five!
Just another space filler in the weekends paper.

So far in the off season the media have said:

I.Luke to parra
B.Champion signed with parra
J.Vai Vai to parra
M.Crocker to parra
R.Asotasi to newcastle
Schubert to knock back deal
Crowe to be investigated for salary cap breaches
Gallop assuring Inglis he would be at souths

I dont believe the media have been correct on any of the above as of yet.

These articles highlight just how much sh*t the media write and how inept that Ian Schubert and David Gallop are.

I think if he wanted to play AFL he would have left by now.
+1. BS article is BS.

Smiley

Bench
http://www.nrl.com/news/news/newsar...08/inglis-rabbitohs-deal-blocked/default.aspx

Inglis' Rabbitohs deal blocked

Greg Inglis' future in the NRL remains up in the air after the NRL blocked his proposed move to South Sydney on Saturday.

The NRL advised the Rabbitohs that it must include the full value of a number of third party agreements relating to the Queensland Origin star's $400,000 a year deal.

Inglis, who reneged on a deal to sign with the Brisbane Broncos when third party deals failed to materialise, will now continue to in rugby league limbo as he is without a club for 2011.

In a statement released on Saturday, the NRL explained that the rules are in place to "ensure that any third party agreement is not in truth a vehicle to remunerate the player for playing rugby league at his club".

"Given the circumstances under which Greg became available to South Sydney, nobody can have been under any doubt about the importance of ensuring his contract complied with the cap," NRL Chief Executive Mr David Gallop said.

"The NRL had already required the Broncos to include third party agreements within their calculation of the contract value and was insisting legal fees also be included when those negotiations ceased.

"South Sydney had been advised to have all proposed offers reviewed by the NRL before making any commitments.

"They chose not to do so and it has taken some time to access all details of the agreements.

"It is unfortunate for Greg that he is in the middle of a difficult situation and I assured him this week that these issues do not reflect on him but that they are matters for clubs in assessing the offers that they make.

"He is one of the games most highly valued players and we have assured him of that in no uncertain terms.

"That said the cap has to apply fairly to all clubs and one club cannot be allowed to do what others were prevented from doing.

"The rules on third party deals are clear.

"We have worked with clubs and players by substantially increasing the amount that sponsors can pay players through the $300,000 marquee player allowance in 2011 but without rules on third party agreements there would be no point in having a salary cap system."

South Sydney admitted they were "disappointed" and disagree with the decision, and will assess the situation this week with NRL salary cap auditor Ian Schubert.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Well he reneged on his deal with the Broncos,that started the mess.
The Broncos deal also had issues. They had deals they said were 3rd party that the NRL has now said would have had to be included in the cap. So it's got nothing to do with that.
I wonder is Asotasi is developing a nervous tic yet..??
I'd hope we nudge Wesser and/or Crocker into retirement with a job offer like we did with Peachey I think. Hopefully Asotasi doesn't go, but it might be necessary. Even if he goes we have a younger, cheaper and better replacement incoming in George Burgess.

Ziggy the God

First Grade
1. So the reason for the 3PA's being counted towards the Salary Cap:
The NRL also says the terms of one agreement "were concluded and confirmed between the manager and the club before the player's manager had any communication with the actual sponsor".

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...18/3096665.htm

2. Cullen's comments on the Bronco's deal:
Cullen said the Broncos had around 20 deals ranging from $1,000 to over $25,000.

"It's probably the easiest way to do it rather than annoy your sponsors for more money," he told Sky Sports Radio on Wednesday.

"If the (player) manager comes to us and says player X is looking for a little bit more and is happy to do some promotional work ... we could certainly provide a list of 'why don't you contact these people'.

"Alternatively, and this is where the majority come from, we actually get these people contact us and say 'we want to be involved and we want to help one of the players, who do you suggest?'"

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...site=Melbourne

3. NRL Rules:
What about money paid from other people or companies?

The basic guide is that if a player is receiving money from any person as a way of inducing him to play for the Club, then that money will be included in the Salary Cap.

Income that a player earns from parties not related to his Club is generally not included in the Salary Cap, however the details of the agreement must be advised to the Club by the player. The Club must then get approval for the agreement from the Salary Cap Auditor in orde r for the Remuneration to be excluded.

http://www.nrl.com/nrlhq/referencece...4/default.aspx

That is a fine line of difference.

BunniesMan

Immortal
1. So the reason for the 3PA's being counted towards the Salary Cap:
The NRL also says the terms of one agreement "were concluded and confirmed between the manager and the club before the player's manager had any communication with the actual sponsor".

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...18/3096665.htm

2. Cullen's comments on the Bronco's deal:
Cullen said the Broncos had around 20 deals ranging from $1,000 to over $25,000.

"It's probably the easiest way to do it rather than annoy your sponsors for more money," he told Sky Sports Radio on Wednesday.

"If the (player) manager comes to us and says player X is looking for a little bit more and is happy to do some promotional work ... we could certainly provide a list of 'why don't you contact these people'.

"Alternatively, and this is where the majority come from, we actually get these people contact us and say 'we want to be involved and we want to help one of the players, who do you suggest?'"

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...site=Melbourne

3. NRL Rules:
What about money paid from other people or companies?

The basic guide is that if a player is receiving money from any person as a way of inducing him to play for the Club, then that money will be included in the Salary Cap.

Income that a player earns from parties not related to his Club is generally not included in the Salary Cap, however the details of the agreement must be advised to the Club by the player. The Club must then get approval for the agreement from the Salary Cap Auditor in orde r for the Remuneration to be excluded.

http://www.nrl.com/nrlhq/referencece...4/default.aspx

That is a fine line of difference.
The entire 3rd party system and the rules that govern it are a mess.

Evenflow

Bench
Only in RL would we work so hard to drive a top player out of the game!

If he goes then nobody drove him out of the game except himself. He had a perfectly good and lucrative contract to sign at the club and in the city of his choosing but he refused to sign it. Now maybe if it wasn't raining and the planes were flying allowing him to sign then maybe it'd be a different story but he made his choice.

I'm no fan of the NRL hierarchy but what the hell are they meant to do? Bend or break the rules just because it's one of the top players? He would've already been getting the most money of pretty much every player in the league and he CHOSE not to take it. It's not the NRL's job to fix his f**k up nor their obligation to bend the rules just for him and nobody else so he's just going to have to wear his decision now.

BunniesMan

Immortal
If he goes then nobody drove him out of the game except himself. He had a perfectly good and lucrative contract to sign at the club and in the city of his choosing but he refused to sign it. Now maybe if it wasn't raining and the planes were flying allowing him to sign then maybe it'd be a different story but he made his choice.

I'm no fan of the NRL hierarchy but what the hell are they meant to do? Bend or break the rules just because it's one of the top players? He would've already been getting the most money of pretty much every player in the league and he CHOSE not to take it. It's not the NRL's job to fix his f**k up nor their obligation to bend the rules just for him and nobody else so he's just going to have to wear his decision now.
The Broncos contract was not "perfectly good". The NRL has since said it had the exact same issues ours now has.

R2Coupe

Juniors
So what is the point of this thread? You've whinged about the NRL but now concede its valid concerns with the Broncos' deal are equally valid for your club!

bfoord

Juniors
The entire 3rd party system and the rules that govern it are a mess.

i disagree with that... the rules for third part agreements are very simple, its just that certain clubs don't want to follow the rules and some player managers are just plain lazy.

BunniesMan

Immortal
So what is the point of this thread? You've whinged about the NRL but now concede its valid concerns with the Broncos' deal are equally valid for your club!
I didn't say the NRL's concerns with the Broncos deal was any more valid than it's concerns with ours. I think the NRL is wrong on both counts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts