What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Inglis headed to South Sydney - no players to be shed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still, the Rabbitohs are doing their best to keep him in league. Which is the best thing for the game (even if some people don't realise). Hopefully, we can drop a player, sign Inglis and AFL doesn't get another NRL star.

Haha. Your club has become everything your fans have spent decades crusading against. What happened to looking after your own players? You want to dump a current player to fit an outsider marquee player in your cap? Where is the Souffs loyalty? What happens if the only club willing to take on a nuff like Beau Champion are the Sydney Swans and he has only one option outside of Souffs and that is to play the fumbleball are Souffs doing the NRL a favour there?

I love it. Souffs have become everything they claimed we have always been and then some more.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Mate, if Souths could only fit him under the cap for $190,000, the Eels would definitely be able to fit him under the cap for around $500,000.
The only thing deterring the Eels from trying to sign him is because they believe the Souths deal will go through. Lord knows they won't try their butts off.
I'm on record saying if we can't get him I hope the Eels do. As disappointed as I'd be that's still much much much more preferable than him going to AFL.

franklin2323

Immortal
If Inglis goes. The only one to blame is Inglis. Walked out on Broncos sure they had to re-arrange things but they were closer then Souths. Parra, Canberra and possibly Cowboys have money and could prob get a deal done but no sir Inglis wont even talk to them. If his interest is elsewhere fine not much League can do for players like that

BunniesMan

Immortal
Haha. Your club has become everything your fans have spent decades crusading against. What happened to looking after your own players? You want to dump a current player to fit an outsider marquee player in your cap? Where is the Souffs loyalty? What happens if the only club willing to take on a nuff like Beau Champion are the Sydney Swans and he has only one option outside of Souffs and that is to play the fumbleball are Souffs doing the NRL a favour there?

I love it. Souffs have become everything they claimed we have always been and then some more.
Maybe some Souths fans in a different era were against some of these things. But I'm only 20, I don't remember top level footy being anything other than fully professional and a business. I love my club and it's players, Champion is one of my favourites, he's a good player, a loyal rabbitoh and a good bloke. But it's not personal it's business. If the choice comes down to Inglis and Champion, I choose Inglis. We follow this league to see our club win a premiership, and I think as good as Champion is, Inglis would do more to help us get to that goal.

taipan

Referee
Whoever did the signing and the finger points directly to souths CEO, should have checked the slaray cap requirements,either needs a good kick where the sun don't shine,or gets off his backside and sorts out the problem, to ensure Inglis stays in the game.
The game cannot afford to lose continually class players,and Gallop needs to pull a finger out.Trouble is we are midstream old NRL and new ARLC.
I am fed up to the balls,with the amateurish displays by some clubs and the head office.
Inglis didn't help by changing ships midstream.if I hear or read he has gone to fumbleball,I will be p*ssed off.

Mickyd39

Juniors
The funniest thing about this whole Inglis saga is how Souths paraded him around in the team colours before the deal was approved.

Dumb merkins.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Maybe some Souths fans in a different era were against some of these things.

no, it's current fans... souths fans in a different era enjoyed seeing premierships..

I don't remember top level footy being anything other than fully professional and a business.

but you follow souths... have you been watching them at all?

I love my club and it's players, Champion is one of my favourites, he's a good player, a loyal rabbitoh and a good bloke. But it's not personal it's business. If the choice comes down to Inglis and Champion, I choose Inglis.

but it's not just champion.. it's two other players you need to get rid of too..

We follow this league to see our club win a premiership

once again, you follow souths you realise...

Perth Red

Post Whore
How much did Gasnier get paid last season? How much is Lockyer on? Both players would be in the $4-500k salary tier imo but I am guessing they aren't paid anything like that under the salary cap. I'd love to know what scale/classification tool the NRL are using to make judgements on players salary worth.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I'd love to know what scale/classification tool the NRL are using to make judgements on players salary worth.

it's in chapter 3 of this book... compelling reading, but very taxing on the brain..

010135347.jpeg

BunniesMan

Immortal
If Inglis goes. The only one to blame is Inglis. Walked out on Broncos sure they had to re-arrange things but they were closer then Souths. Parra, Canberra and possibly Cowboys have money and could prob get a deal done but no sir Inglis wont even talk to them. If his interest is elsewhere fine not much League can do for players like that
His "interest" isn't elsewhere. I've heard in the papers from one of the former Storm board members that Inglis loves footy more than any other player he's met. He's desperate to stay in the NRL but he hasn't been paid in months by his 2010 club, he's owed more than 200k, he can't get paid by what is meant to be his 2011 club yet, he has a mortgage to pay. If he goes to AFL it won't be because he has any "interest" in AFL.
but it's not just champion.. it's two other players you need to get rid of too..
Those players are rumoured to be the ones Souths is willing to lose. But they don't need to lose all of them, just 1 will do. But they've thrown up more than 1 name because they are more likely to get interest from someone that way.
How much did Gasnier get paid last season? How much is Lockyer on? Both players would be in the $4-500k salary tier imo but I am guessing they aren't paid anything like that under the salary cap. I'd love to know what scale/classification tool the NRL are using to make judgements on players salary worth.
Exactly. Gasnier got 50k for half a season, excuse was that it's backended (as is Inglis's). Lockyer makes about 200-250k. No different to us wanting to give him 190k first year and then significantly more in the last 2 years. But noooooo, that's not good enough for the wise men running the show.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Those players are rumoured to be the ones Souths is willing to lose. But they don't need to lose all of them, just 1 will do. But they've thrown up more than 1 name because they are more likely to get interest from someone that way.

my mistake. i thought you were studying to be a cop.. never realised you were actually in charge of the rabbitohs finances.. so.. can you tell me, what's russell really like? i hear he's nice..

gronkathon

First Grade

Lockyer gets a hefty discount for his long service to the Broncos if I remember correctly.

Liddell

Juniors
Then what are your management doing trying to sign one of the top 5 players in the league with only that much space? No one in the Rugby League world would find it easy to believe that this guy would accept that kind of cash.

Why not? If he agreed to sign for the reported 190k and did so, its his decision. We only know the figures thrown around, but it was supposed to be 190 first year then 350k each year after including the 3rd party deals.

How much did Gasnier sign for and how many games did he play? 50k and half a season? Im sure he is worth much more then 100 grand a season.

BunniesMan

Immortal
my mistake. i thought you were studying to be a cop.. never realised you were actually in charge of the rabbitohs finances.. so.. can you tell me, what's russell really like? i hear he's nice..
Lovely bloke, always buys the first shout, and does a fantastic David Gallop impression when he gets a little tipsy. Although it mostly just involves acting brain damaged. Still, pretty accurate.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Why not? If he agreed to sign for the reported 190k and did so, its his decision. We only know the figures thrown around, but it was supposed to be 190 first year then 350k each year after including the 3rd party deals.
Because the NRL said so. In their "wise" judgement they don't want players taking a significant paycut to build a dynasty.
How much did Gasnier sign for and how many games did he play? 50k and half a season? Im sure he is worth much more then 100 grand a season.
That's why a lot of people are frustrated. Gasnier was allowed to play for 50k a season and the excuse was that his contract is heavily back ended. Well so is Inglis's but the NRL has a problem with him making 190k under the cap.

kbw

Bench
if it was only $190K for the first year there would be no problem, the 3rd pary deals are on top of that and there is the problem. But unfortunately you aren't going to see that.

BTW Bryan Fletcher's impressions of Russell Crowe are funnier than any impression Crowe could do :)

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
That's why a lot of people are frustrated. Gasnier was allowed to play for 50k a season and the excuse was that his contract is heavily back ended. Well so is Inglis's but the NRL has a problem with him making 190k under the cap.

the main point you are missing is as follows...

gasnier, whilst back ended, has the right proportion of his total salary counted as part of the salary cap...

inglis does not.

therein lies your issue.. it's not a case of doublestandards.. it's a case of whoever did up the contract stuffing up...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts