What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Inglis headed to South Sydney - no players to be shed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joker's Wild

Coach
no other workplace has salary caps or restrain of trade restrictions... its like your company telling you you cant earn more then this much or work a second job on the weekend

Every professional sport in the country, hell even the globe, has a salary cap in one shape or another. Its there to stop 2-3 clubs from gaining massive advantages over the others just because they have access to more funding.

Think of how crap our comp would be if sides like Brisbane, Easts and St. George (random clubs btw) had all the playing talent and relentlessly smashed the other clubs week in week out. Who would watch if your club had 0 chance of winning the comp each year?

Boggles my mind when people on here start comparing professional sporting comps to the business world. Do you have a Coca Cola jersey in your cupboard? How about a Microsoft scarf? Anyone on here go out on a Sunday arvo and cheer on Westinghouse? No, beacuse they are companies not sporting clubs.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
no other workplace has salary caps or restrain of trade restrictions... its like your company telling you you cant earn more then this much or work a second job on the weekend

every workplace has this exact system in place.

let's use the example of a call centre..

most call centres have a team structure, with one team leader allocated to each team..

there is a set band, or salary range, that this team leader can earn, and is usually capped. ie. if the team leader wants to earn more than what is allowed within the salary range, they would have to leave an go somewhere else - just like GI looking at rugby & afl..

and continuing with the call centre example, the people on the phone would also have their salaries operating within a certain range.. if they want to earn more, they can either try for a team leader position (eg marquee player situation at a club) or leave for another workplace where they feel they can earn more..

quite simply, greg inglis expects too much money and no-one is willing to pay it.. he either needs to lower his expectations or find somewhere else to flog his wares...

with this now being his 2nd club where he has stuffed people around in the process of signing, i don't know how many fans would actually feel like cheering for him..

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Anyone on here go out on a Sunday arvo and cheer on Westinghouse? No, beacuse they are companies not sporting clubs.

bugger it, i'm going to give that a go :)

i'm getting a westinghouse scarf made up and heading down to harvey norman during the boxing day sale..

every time someone is choosing whitegoods i'll stand there shouting and cheering for them to buy a westinghouse... and when they do actually buy one, i'll hug them and run round swinging the scarf around my head, whooing and hollering...

Spot On

Coach
But we cant let him go?!!! Think of how much we have missed cutie, SBW, Izzy, etc since they have left. How can we possibly move on without these superstars playing our game?!! Wont someone think of the fans!!!!!!

Dont let the door hit your gigantic arse on the way out High GI. Plenty of young talent coming through to replace you when your gone and forgotten.

Bravo. This has been proven time and time again.

drake

First Grade
It just goes to show how awesome Rugby League is when the rival codes count it as a major coup to sign one of our players.

Hutty1986

Immortal
Every professional sport in the country, hell even the globe, has a salary cap in one shape or another. Its there to stop 2-3 clubs from gaining massive advantages over the others just because they have access to more funding.

Think of how crap our comp would be if sides like Brisbane, Easts and St. George (random clubs btw) had all the playing talent and relentlessly smashed the other clubs week in week out. Who would watch if your club had 0 chance of winning the comp each year?

Boggles my mind when people on here start comparing professional sporting comps to the business world. Do you have a Coca Cola jersey in your cupboard? How about a Microsoft scarf? Anyone on here go out on a Sunday arvo and cheer on Westinghouse? No, beacuse they are companies not sporting clubs.

That's how Sharks fans feel

adamkungl

Immortal
But we cant let him go?!!! Think of how much we have missed cutie, SBW, Izzy, etc since they have left. How can we possibly move on without these superstars playing our game?!! Wont someone think of the fans!!!!!!

Dont let the door hit your gigantic arse on the way out High GI. Plenty of young talent coming through to replace you when your gone and forgotten.

Think of the amazing talents that would still be in the comp if cutie, SBW, Izzy, Gower, Wing, etc didn't leave.... this is an absolute rubbish argument and I don't believe it gets used so often.

The comp goes on but it is certainly poorer for their absence.

Liddell

Juniors
Think of the amazing talents that would still be in the comp if cutie, SBW, Izzy, Gower, Wing, etc didn't leave.... this is an absolute rubbish argument and I don't believe it gets used so often.

Yet the same guys whinge how bad the quality of footy is to watch.

boxhead

First Grade
That idiot in the article posted on the previous page, the one that was sacked by News Limited from the Storm, should get his head checked and realize there are other NRL clubs that can afford Inglis.

Oh wait....only problem is Inglis refuses to play for any other NSW club, despite having been raised there.
If Inglis decides to pull his head out then he might get a gig at Parramatta or perhaps Canberra, but no....."AFL is the only option".

Perth Red

Post Whore

I would argue that we do indeed miss them. Tell me which winger, FB or 2nd row (Burgess aside) has come through with the same media and public profile of these 3 players last year? Everytime we lose a high profile star we lose a little more media interest and public awareness.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach

Exactly.

Brisbane haven't produced a fullback as good as cutie yet, NO second rower has come through as good as SBW, Penrith are still looking for a decent half to fill Gower's role, and Wing could walk into the starting 17 of most clubs.

Hunt, SBW, Folau, Gower and Wing would probably all walk into their respected rep teams too.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
i dunno.. there's been a media hypefest over mitchell pearce & SKD...

and the way the media was talking up maria hargraves during the grand final week, you'd think he was the lovechild of trevor gillmeister and glen lazarus..

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
If Inglis wants to play league and for Souths, why doesn't he just drop his asking price to fit uner the bunnies salary cap?

I'll tell you for why.

Because he's a greedy merkin. He doesn't want to play for Souths, or any other team in particular, he just wants a big fat cheque.

Souths should cut the f**ker loose completely. Let him go to AFL, he'll be hopeless. Would play for 10 minutes and then needs to sit down and have a breather for 40 minutes.

Yosh

Coach
I havent read all 30943204938 pages of this post, plus I've been out of the country a while so I'm not up to date with everything in League, however I must say a couple of things:I can't seem to put my thoughts into words... I'll try to sum it up:1. Salary Cap does equalise the talent and keeps competition close.2. The sacrifice is that the NRL loses its best talent, therefore becomes lower quality.3. Is this sacrifice warrented?4. Is David Gallop doing a good job?Why are we losing players to AFL?Why do we lose players to Rugby Union?Why do players want to end their careers in the Super League?The list (as everyone already knows) is endless. Falou, SBW, Wing, Gaz (even though he is back). Is keeping the competition fair more important than giving away our best players to opposition codes? The AFL, RU and Super League must be laughing...David Gallop and the Salary Cap for the sack!

Last edited:

Ike E Bear

Juniors
I've asked this elsewhere, but am keen to get answer.

Is there anything stopping the Bunnies from offering someone like Wesser, or even Crocker, an attractive off-field role as an inducement to retire?

I understand that there's issues if clubs are allowed to pay a player less than his market value and then "top it up" with such a deal, ala the alleged Robbie Kearns rort, but this would be different (although I don't know if it is possible to treat it differently under the rules).

I'm wondering if there are any "cap experts" out there who know the answer to this question.

Yosh

Coach
If Inglis wants to play league and for Souths, why doesn't he just drop his asking price to fit uner the bunnies salary cap?

I'll tell you for why.

Because he's a greedy merkin. He doesn't want to play for Souths, or any other team in particular, he just wants a big fat cheque.

Souths should cut the f**ker loose completely. Let him go to AFL, he'll be hopeless. Would play for 10 minutes and then needs to sit down and have a breather for 40 minutes.

I think it comes back to the 'League players can only play the game for 10 years then they are merkins so can't find a real job' argument.

BunniesMan

Immortal
There's a simple solution to that. If any player doesn't like the rules set in place then they can f**k right off out of the game and get a real job. Nobody makes them play the game, it's a privlege to not a right and if they don't want to agree to the terms then they're free to leave.
Or they can f**k right off to a competitor, play for them and give them millions of dollars worth of headlines. And if you think the regular story line of Union or AFL taking our stars doesn't hurt us, you're a fool. It makes us look like a glorified feeder comp.

The attitude you have in your post is common sadly, but completely stupid. It's not 1950 anymore, we're not the only choice for elite athletes. Every time they leave us and go to another code it hurts us and benefits them.
It just goes to show how awesome Rugby League is when the rival codes count it as a major coup to sign one of our players.
When I get punched in the face by some fool because his girlfriend had sex with me, do I think about how it shows how "awesome" I am, or do I think about how much my broken nose hurts.
so is parra any chance of getting him if not what a wanker he is and if they do what a great player i love him
Haha that's the attidude of the vast majorite of people, telling him to f**k off because he's linked to a club other than theirs, but if it was their club they'd be getting wet. Personally, while I still want him to play for Souths next year, I'd rather he go to the Eels than AFL.

Exactly right, some people are just too stupid to realise. Or some people do realise but pretend like they don't care because it makes them feel better.

I'll tell you for why.

Your post is the height of ignorance. If he cared about money he'd have gone to AFL or Union directly from the Storm, he never would have bothered with Broncos or Souths. The guy hasn't been paid in months. The Storm owe him more than 200k, we can't pay him yet, he has a mortgage to pay. I'd completely understand if he goes to AFL and the only people to blame would be NRL management, not Inglis.

Liddell

Juniors

I'll tell you for why.

But wasn't that the issue? They said his notional value is 500k and they wont register him for anything less?

Status
Not open for further replies.