What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Inglis headed to South Sydney - no players to be shed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Sam

First Grade
$2 million over 3 years is the exact reason why Souths will never win a premiership. What a huge waste.

Brisbane offered him roughly that same amount but over 2 years. Where were you when that offer was revealed? You're just jealous.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Is Inglis really the best back in the League?? Shows up come Origin time but rarely sighted in club games. For pure consistency and performance Slater craps all over Inglis IMO.
We also shouldn't read too much into his 2010 performances. With no competition points to play for it's understandable if he wasn't up for it week in and week out.

And the Storm played him at Center, where some weeks your just not going to see much of the ball. If we put him at fullback it gives him more oppurtunities to make an impact. That's why Slater was usually more consistent, his position gave him a bigger impact naturally. And another thing even before 2010, the Storm had half a team of strike weapons, Inglis didn't have to show up every week.

In 2011, actual competition points + the excitement of a brand new environment + playing fullback (hopefully) gives him the chance to have his best year yet. Let's not forget he's only 23, talented players generally don't hit their peak until at least their mid 20s when their football brain catches up with their talent.

Noa

First Grade
Is Inglis really the best back in the League?? Shows up come Origin time but rarely sighted in club games. For pure consistency and performance Slater craps all over Inglis IMO.

You cant compare a FB and a center in todays game

Centers feed off crumbs, FB can get involved whenever they want i.e. a fb gets his hand on the ball 25-35 times a game, a center 10-15. A fb nearly always gets the ball with not much pressure on them, centers rarely get the ball WITHOUT the defence up in there grill.

johns_reds

First Grade
Brisbane offered him roughly that same amount but over 2 years. Where were you when that offer was revealed? You're just jealous.

crap. i edited it and lost what i wrote...

anyway i said something along the lines of broncos only offered 620k per season, 400k was base, approx 180k was marquee and sponsors and the remainder 40k was a subsidy from melbourne (melbourne had to top up the offer as part of thier agreement when shedding players they had to get equal or more money at the new club)

Last edited:

BunniesMan

Immortal
You cant compare a FB and a center in todays game

Centers feed off crumbs, FB can get involved whenever they want i.e. a fb gets his hand on the ball 25-35 times a game, a center 10-15. A fb nearly always gets the ball with not much pressure on them, centers rarely get the ball WITHOUT the defence up in there grill.
Great minds think alike. If we're not completely stupid and have the sense to put him at FB, it will give him the oppurtunity to unleash his full potential.

Last edited:

BunniesMan

Immortal
And also let's not forget, doesn't a portion of his deal have to be paid by the Storm. Not a huge portion, but still takes a bit off the 2m figure that we have to pay.

slammingsam

Juniors
I have no problems with the deal - as long as he plays fullback. He will need to shed a few but in my eyes he has always been a fullback playing in the centres. I think he would really explode from there and give him the responsibility to keep involved in the game.

BunniesMan

Immortal
I have no problems with the deal - as long as he plays fullback. He will need to shed a few but in my eyes he has always been a fullback playing in the centres. I think he would really explode from there and give him the responsibility to keep involved in the game.
If round 1 2011 Inglis is in the centres, keeping one of our decent young centres out of the team, because we insist on playing Wesser...I'll shed a tear.

Dragon Dave

Bench
He was on even more with the Storm, was it a huge waste then? A contract that averages out to 666k a year for the best back in the league is just fine. Especially if we're smart enough to put him at fullback.

:lol: You tell me! They haven't won a comp since '99.

Best back in the league? You are kidding! Maybe 2 or 3 years ago, but last year he was barely noticeable. There are atleast 5 backs who I would rather have in my team ahead of him.

I understand you Souths fans will be thinking he is the missing piece, the answer, but unfortunately for you guys there is only one man in leeague capable of sorting out a mess like yours...

johns_reds

First Grade
And also let's not forget, doesn't a portion of his deal have to be paid by the Storm. Not a huge portion, but still takes a bit off the 2m figure that we have to pay.

Not anymore, storm had to pay some of broncos because the offer was only 580k, storm had to top up 40k worth of payments, because souths are paying more then 620k (inglis's salary at storm) strom shouldn't have to subsidise a penny, it's also a win for storm as they get approx 40k more in thier cap for next year.

Last edited:

Didgi

He was on even more with the Storm, was it a huge waste then? A contract that averages out to 666k a year for the best back in the league is just fine. Especially if we're smart enough to put him at fullback.

It's telling you something. :lol:

Best back :lol:

A 120kg fullback :lol:

Sounding like Haynetrain :lol:

applesauce

Bench
Good on you Souths. Taking advantage of the salary cap rules that are there (and I agree with).

If only more teams could get bigger 3rd party deals the NRL would be much stronger.

BunniesMan

Immortal
:lol: You tell me! They haven't won a comp since '99.

Best back in the league? You are kidding! Maybe 2 or 3 years ago, but last year he was barely noticeable. There are atleast 5 backs who I would rather have in my team ahead of him.
2010 was a unusual year for obvious reasons.

I understand you Souths fans will be thinking he is the missing piece, the answer, but unfortunately for you guys there is only one man in leeague capable of sorting out a mess like yours...
I'm curious, who would that be? Bennett? If you mean him, don't be surprised if he's in Redfern a year from now.

applesauce

Bench
Paul Kent said 2 days ago on the BackPage he will finish up with 950k/season.

Then the AFL merkin put his head down and didn't pay attention for the next 2mins (obviously realising that the top NRL players can get paid as well as AFL players who are not part of the Suns or GWS).

BunniesMan

Immortal
souths still have the worst halfback in the NRL though
Seeing as he was the halfback of the 2nd best attacking team in the league in 2010, I think his crapness is exaggerated. Does he have things he needs to work on in his game? Yes, and I'm hoping he does that over the offseason. But he isn't as terrible as people suggest.
It's telling you something. :lol:

Best back :lol:

A 120kg fullback :lol:

Sounding like Haynetrain :lol:
Haynetrain's guy shows up for about a fortnight in 2010 and he had actual competition points to play for.

120? lol, Round 1 I bet he's 95 or less.

Status
Not open for further replies.