What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Inglis headed to South Sydney - no players to be shed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Inglis has succeeded because he played outside of Cronk and Smith. In QLD, he had Lockyer and Thurston.

Inglis has been a beneficiary because of genuine brilliant halves inside of him. Souths do not have that.

For the record, the Storm also made nuffies like Finch, Nielson, Newton, and Norrie look like decent players.

on his day, he's the best outside back in the comp with or without the players mentioned, it would be extremely naive to think otherwise?

Canard

Immortal
Good to see a weak team get a bit stronger, I reckon in 2 to 3 years Souths could be pushing for a finals spot.

Lacking some depth in the backs, especially in the halves and fullback, also struggle for cover in the forwards.

He'd want to play at fullback god knows you's dont have the halves for him to get any quality ball at Centre........

Dont see this turning out well for the bunnies but best of luck.

Dragon Dave

Bench
Good to see a weak team get a bit stronger, I reckon in 2 to 3 years Souths could be pushing for a finals spot.

Lacking some depth in the backs, especially in the halves and fullback, also struggle for cover in the forwards.

Is that when Ingli$ has moved on to AFL and they have lost 3 or 4 players to cover his contract?

:?

Hutty1986

Immortal
Money they're going to get regardless.

Yeah, I'd say Billy Slater, Cameron Smith and Greg Inglis would've been really worried about not scraping into the QLD or Australian sides :lol:

And they'd certainly be worried about if they would be re-signed/signed by another NRL team :lol:

Professionalism? Cameron Smith even said "we have nothing to play for" to a referee.

Yeah, it would probably pump me up. But then again, I hadn't already won 2 premierships and had them stripped, played in 4 grand finals, played countless games for QLD and Australia already....

What? Or they could get paid 400k a year just to turn up and not even have to try and win football games - "put some tucker on the table"? Thanks, A Current Affair..

I'm not sure if its that he's a sook or more that his entire team didn't get a f*ck. As had been said, he is very easily influenced by those around him.

In fairness that last line made me chuckle a little.

If GI wasn't a gutless turncoat, he's have still carved up, but time and again he just drifts in and out of matches and what he's done to Brisbane is pathetic

Every time you pull on your club jersey, you should give 100%, simple as that.

skeepe

Immortal
$600,000 a year... and Souths justify it by saying that they can afford it because they saved $160,000 on Colin Best.

Anyone who believes that is an absolute idiot.

Hutty1986

Immortal
$600,000 a year... and Souths justify it by saying that they can afford it because they saved $160,000 on Colin Best.

Anyone who believes that is an absolute idiot.

160k a year for Colin Best.. holy sh*t!

He's barely worth a case of VB a season

johns_reds

First Grade
All the talk of fullback, looks like he wants to play five-eighth.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...d-of-next-season/story-e6frexnr-1225952385806

JOHN Lang has revealed that next season could be his first and last working with Greg Inglis at Redfern. The veteran South Sydney coach will be off contract at the end of next year and is likely to "move off into the sunset" to make way for another mentor to oversee arguably the NRL's most enviable roster.
The 60-year-old premiership-winning coach has labelled Inglis as the best centre in the world but he would not rule out playing the former Melbourne star at five-eighth.
"I'm contracted until the end of next year, that was the deal," Lang said. "I was never led along the path I'd be the long-term coach, so most likely I'll be moving off into the sunset.
"I'm very relaxed with that. Richo [chief executive Shane Richardson] keeps me up to date with what they do.

"I want to enjoy this year and I'm not looking a day past that. If something changes, I'll cross that path when I come to it. Let's face it, I'm 60 and not many guys last that long.
"I've had 15 years at this level but I'm fortunate in the fact I still enjoy it.
"I've never had a season where I haven't at one stage thought, 'why am I doing this?'"
Lang is excited by the expected arrival of Inglis and agrees there will be greater pressure on the club to step up and deliver some silverware.
"You can't put a guy like Greg Inglis into a team and expect we're just the same side as before," Lang said. "But what we also have to realise is Greg Inglis has to do his thing, and everyone else has to do their thing. I don't think that will be a problem.
"He'll bring confidence to other players. That has probably been one thing Souths have struggled with, but recruiting someone like him will be a good step from that point of view.
"It would be a great thing for the club if Greg came here. He's a centre, the world's best centre, but he can play other positions as well.
"I know he has expressed to Richo he can play five-eighth.
"No matter what, the guys will get a buzz playing with him. Even if Greg is out injured, the beauty for us is we still wouldn't have to play against him."
Dylan Farrell loomed as the likely starter at left centre in the absence of Cronulla-bound Colin Best, but Lang pointed out that the young star scored a hat-trick on debut on the right side.
Lang also expects Junior Vaivai to challenge for a jumper.
The likable Lang said that hot competition for spots is only a positive.
Plenty of candidates have been thrust forward to succeed Lang, including Tim Sheens and Craig Bellamy, who has been Inglis' only NRL coach.
But Lang looked full of life as he oversaw a light session with a small group of players on a warm morning at Redfern Oval yesterday.
He said he had worked much harder during the post-season than he had this time last year.

Also no comments in there about Bennett, looks like Souths could end up with Sheens, doubt Bellamy would leave Melbourne, i could be wrong though.

BunniesMan

Immortal

We got 9th without him, so next year he won't help us gain even one position on the ladder according to you?

He'd want to play at fullback god knows you's dont have the halves for him to get any quality ball at Centre........

Dont see this turning out well for the bunnies but best of luck.
I keep hearing how we have terrible halves. But if Nathan Merritt and Beau Champion could score outside them, Greg Inglis can. And geeze these halves we have must be sh*t...with the 2nd best attack in 2010 and everything. But I do agree with you partly, I would prefer him at Fullback, but that's got nothing to do with the quality of our halves.

Last edited:

Hutty1986

Immortal
Souths just need to get some better forwards, some better backs and a better coach and then they will improve for sure.

Here, fishy fishy

Noa

First Grade
Inglis will do well at either fullback or centre because he's a class player. IMO he's a centre.

Id think he'd go well at 6 again, especailly when he doesnt have Cooper Cronk over-calling all the time or Cam Smith looking him off.

DC_fan

Coach
Third party deals in Greg Inglis's South Sydney contract to face NRL scrutiny
102776-greg-inglis.jpg

Scrutiny over any third party deals...Greg Inglis. Picture: Getty Images Source: Getty Images

THE NRL has warned South Sydney that any third-party deals in the contract Greg Inglis has just signed will be scrutinised by salary cap auditor Ian Schubert.

Inglis has just signed a three-year contract with the Rabbitohs in a deal heavily propped up by third-party deals.

Souths use the contact networks of high-profile owners Russell Crowe and Peter Holmes a Court to attract money as part of the marquee player allowance outside of the cap.

However, The Daily Telegraph understands the NRL has already indicated to Souths CEO Shane Richardson that any ambassador role with West Australian mining billionaire Andrew Forrest will have to be included in the cap because it is not deemed as genuine employment.

But Inglis's manager Allan Gainey last night said there was enough support from third parties to do a deal without support from the West Australian businessman.

NRL boss David Gallop is closely monitoring all the negotiations.
"If there's a job offered to a player as a way of enticing them to a club we have to have a very close look at it," he said last night.

"If, for example, a player is offered $150,000 for a couple of appearances, we'd be asking questions about it. But if a player does genuine work at a fair market value than we're not looking to be difficult."

The Inglis deal has come under so much scrutiny because Richardson said as late as August 27 the Rabbitohs were right on their cap limit.

A chief executive from a rival club, who asked not to be identified, has backed the NRL's investigation.

"When the club boss says there is no money available under the cap two months ago and then they sign a superstar, without releasing another player, of course people are going to ask how it's been achieved," the official said.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...ace-nrl-scrutiny/story-e6frexnr-1225952398438

he has to be under souths cap for the same as he would have been under melbournes or the NRL should be taken to court by the storm.
Because if souths are allowed to fit him in for less or backload then Storm should have been able to redo his contract to keep him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts