What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Inglis headed to South Sydney - no players to be shed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
Wasn't there talk about the 3rd party and marquee player rules being changed for next year to make it easier to do things like this.

So somehow Souths had not spent any of their marquee and 3rd party money up until now.. How would Sam Burgess feel considering he is on such a paltry amount of money lol... Well of course he isn't.

slammingsam

Juniors
I am pretty certain the 3rd party cap limit is like 300,000. Inglis surely cant be taking all that up with some of the guys we have at the club.

BunniesMan

Immortal
I am pretty certain the 3rd party cap limit is like 300,000. Inglis surely cant be taking all that up with some of the guys we have at the club.
Well that's how it was submitted to the NRL. And if the 3rd party limit is 300k, then no other player will be getting 3rd party payments in 2011, because the NRL would have a record of all that. So it's not something that could be cheated.

hellteam

First Grade
Well that's how it was submitted to the NRL. And if the 3rd party limit is 300k, then no other player will be getting 3rd party payments in 2011, because the NRL would have a record of all that. So it's not something that could be cheated.

CMUX

Look at this merkin, file him under "haters gonna hate". And your metaphor is crap, because we already have plenty of exposure to american sports via Hollywood and our americanised culture in general. The people here that have wanted to become fans and watch their sports, already have the opportunity to do so. It isn't the same thing the other way around. There is no rugby league on their tv, most americans don't even know it exists.

So next time do us all a favour and try thinking a bit before you open your mouth.

And you think the phone chucking sheep shagger is going to be the person to skyrocket the popularity of RL in America?

Americans are insular and certainly don’t care about what sport Russel Crowe watches.

well you obviously got ZERO idea about Marketing and Promotion - why do you think companies speand millions of $$$ to get famous people to advertise their crappy watches, cars and and fatty food outlets which the public otherwise wouldnt want a bar of?

As hard as it is to belive there are millions out there that would buy a car only because David Beckham or Tiger Woods advertised it

Russell Crowe / Souths - PRIDE OF THE LEAGUE

David Beckham and Tiger Woods are actually well known and well liked people. Russel Crowe is a wanker and using Souffs to promote RL overseas is like using Greg Inglis to promote healthy eting.

Russel Crowe/Souffs – embarrassment of the league.

Bumble

First Grade
Yeah and Uruguay were once a World cup power house but in the modern era they are irrelevant.

Much like Souffs.

The same Uruguay that made the semi-finals of the World Cup a few months ago?

If you're going to make a sh*t analogy about things you don't understand, at least make sure it makes sense...

adamkungl

Immortal

If you're going to make a sh*t analogy about things you don't understand, at least make sure it makes sense...

Well, souffs made the finals a few years ago too :sarcasm:

CMUX

The analogy fits perfectly.

Both were forces in an ancient and forgotten time.

Both have supporters living in eternal hope.

Both are capable of periods of good form in the modern era and every now and then have a decent season/world cup.

Ultimately though, both are an irrelevancy and will never be successful in the professional era.

Bumble

First Grade

Both are capable of periods of good form in the modern era and every now and then have a decent season/world cup.

Ultimately though, both are an irrelevancy and will never be successful in the professional era.

Uruguay went within a goal of making the world cup final a couple of months ago :lol:

They're also ranked 7th in the world right now :lol:

BunniesMan

Immortal

:crazy::crazy::crazy:
Ah, Souths and our sea of irrelevancy...I can see how having the biggest membership in Sydney makes us irrelevant. I can see how attracting the biggest signing of 2010 makes us irrelevant. I can see how attracting the biggest and 2nd biggest signing of 2009 makes irrelevant. I can see how being the only profitable Sydney clubs makes us irrelevant. I can see how we're regularly linked to the best coaches going around for after 2011 makes us irrelevant.
Uruguay went within a goal of making the world cup final a couple of months ago :lol:

You know what they say about arguing with stupid people...CMUX=stupid.

Ah, Souths and our sea of irrelevancy...I can see how having the biggest membership in Sydney makes us irrelevant. I can see how attracting the biggest signing of 2010 makes us irrelevant. I can see how attracting the biggest and 2nd biggest signing of 2009 makes irrelevant. I can see how being the only profitable Sydney clubs makes us irrelevant. I can see how we're regularly linked to the best coaches going around for after 2011 makes us irrelevant.

Exactly Bunniesman, EXACTLY!!

Souths have become everything that they used to despise and whinge about.

You said it yourself, signing, signing, signing and signing.

You have become Manly and The Roosters, everything you have spent your whole life whingeing about.

But now that you are doing it, all of a sudden it's ok.

Hypocrites.

Dragon Dave

Bench

I'm going to have to disagree with this.

The mighty Dragons completed the biggest signing of any club for the last 10 years and, unlike Souths, this signing has performed and brought results.

Wayne Bennett = best signing. Hell, Jeremy Smith was a better purchase than Sam 'Butterfingers' Burgess.

CMUX

Todd Carney plays for the roosters.

If by biggest, you mean fattest and most out of shape then Greg Inglis and Dave Taylor definitely qualify.

Uruguay went within a goal of making the world cup final a couple of months ago

They're also ranked 7th in the world right now

You might have a point – maybe they are more like the Hungarian soccer team?

BunniesMan

Immortal
Exactly Bunniesman, EXACTLY!!

Souths have become everything that they used to despise and whinge about.

You said it yourself, signing, signing, signing and signing.

You have become Manly and The Roosters, everything you have spent your whole life whingeing about.

But now that you are doing it, all of a sudden it's ok.

Hypocrites.
We've become what Manly used to be, not what they are anymore. They're not one of the big spenders anymore. That's limited to Sydney's big 5 clubs and Melbourne and Brisbane.

As for signings and spending money. It's 2010. Souths were late to the party but we've finally arrived in the modern era. There's no point reminiscing about the "good ole days" because they're not coming back, modern clubs have to do what it takes to win in the 21st century, not what it took to win decades ago.
I'm going to have to disagree with this.

The mighty Dragons completed the biggest signing of any club for the last 10 years and, unlike Souths, this signing has performed and brought results.

Wayne Bennett = best signing. Hell, Jeremy Smith was a better purchase than Sam 'Butterfingers' Burgess.
lol @ jeremy smith. If he's so fantastic why was he the player you guys chose to drop for that over priced and over the hill merkin.

As for Wayne, won't surprise me if 12 months from now he's making his way to Redfern. There's been multiple rumours in the media that have linked him to Souths.

Todd Carney plays for the roosters.

If by biggest, you mean fattest and most out of shape then Greg Inglis and Dave Taylor definitely qualify.

You might have a point – maybe they are more like the Hungarian soccer team?
No, Todd Carney doesn't count. If there was any justice in the NRL he wouldn't have been allowed to come back to any club other than the Raiders, and only if they wanted him. You got Carney because he disgraced himself at another club and did enough to deserve to be sacked. We got Inglis because his old club disgraced themselves.

And besides, you managed to sign him from some bush team, big accomplishment, we got Inglis from the biggest club in rugby league.

cleary89

Coach

Wow one goal from being in the top 32! Bit like souths, one win against a second string saints side from the 8.

If only members helped you win games. And lol at the top 2 biggest signings of 2009. What about Carney, you know the Daley M winner? But a guy on 170k a year is better? Good one. And you guys got ripped off with 600k a year for Inglis.

And being "linked" to coaches. Anyone can write an article and put it in the paper with a rumor.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Wow one goal from being in the top 32! Bit like souths, one win against a second string saints side from the 8.
He ment one goal from the world cup GRAND final. The final two in other words.
And you guys got ripped off with 600k a year for Inglis.
Lol, the total contract is 1.8m over 3 years, by itself 600k isn't overpaying for one of the best players in the comp. Thurston gets more and what has he helped his team do recently? But Inglis won't be getting anything near 600k a year under the cap. Inglis is down for just 490k next year, and only 190k of that will be under the salary cap. 300k a year of his contract will be third party payments.

cleary89

Coach
He ment one goal from the world cup GRAND final. The final two in other words.
Lol, the total contract is 1.8m over 3 years, by itself 600k isn't overpaying for one of the best players in the comp. Thurston gets more and what has he helped his team do recently? But Inglis won't be getting anything near 600k a year under the cap. Inglis is down for just 490k next year, and only 190k of that will be under the salary cap. 300k a year of his contract will be third party payments.

How long ago was Inglis one of the best players int he comp?

You reckon Schubert will let "one of the best players in the comp" play for a team an only count 190k a year under the cap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts