What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Inglis headed to South Sydney - no players to be shed

Status
Not open for further replies.

rabbitohs

Juniors
It's a subject that has been brought up plenty of times and nearly went to court in the early noughties under 'restriction of trade'.

Would make for an interesting case and unless you have a law degree then I doubt you or I would know what chance it has of holding up in court...

It may well struggle. The courts may judge it in the public interest to retain it due to the cultural imprtance of rugby league, but is more likely to ascertain that restricting somebody earning their market worth is unfair (as is the case in the UK) particularly with the governing body makin a lot of money through tv deals etc.

A similar reasoning has forced the AFL to allow for free agency in their competition. The union was getting tetchy about the draft and salary cap and were threatening to challenge it in court. Free agency was the compromise position.

The salary cap in the ESL is a good example of clubs and players simply conforming to the rules of the competition rather than the law of the land. For the sake of the integrity of the comp.

thorson1987

Coach
folks i am not saying that souths should go to court to challenge the salary cap restriction. that is another matter. what i am saying is that if Souths feel they are being treated unfairly versus other NRL decision on the matter , then yes that is worth a challenge . in Inglis case specifically , if Souths believe the deal now on the table has been structured same as Broncos structure , which was approved by NRL, then on the point of precedence , it would make sense to take a blocking NRL decision to a higher arbitration. As i do not know all the facts , and certainly most of the folks here have no idea on the facts , i take exception to folks here who make comments that Souths should abe kicked out of the NRL if they do not accept all rulings. that is hogwash.

The broncos deal was never approved by the NRL. Inglis did not sign, therefore a contract was not lodged with the NRL for approval.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
FMD we've gone from one delluded Souths fan with no idea about contract law spouting sh*t as if it were fact, to another.

galeforce said:
folks i am not saying that souths should go to court to challenge the salary cap restriction. that is another matter. what i am saying is that if Souths feel they are being treated unfairly versus other NRL decision on the matter , then yes that is worth a challenge . in Inglis case specifically , if Souths believe the deal now on the table has been structured same as Broncos structure , which was approved by NRL, then on the point of precedence , it would make sense to take a blocking NRL decision to a higher arbitration. As i do not know all the facts , and certainly most of the folks here have no idea on the facts , i take exception to folks here who make comments that Souths should abe kicked out of the NRL if they do not accept all rulings. that is hogwash.

Hogwash would accurately describe just about everything you've posted in here google man.

Your points are so riddled with fallacies that it's difficult to even decipher your muddled point of view.

Loudstrat

Coach
Do I need to remind you why you shouldn't put too much weight into his 2010 season? His own captain openly said to a referee "we have nothing to play for".
Answer 1) That was when his team was getting smashed and were realising that their grappling and dirty ways were not getting on op of their opponents, and they threw tantrums all over the field, and got penalised for it.

Answer2) They clearly had so much to play for that it couldn't fit under a salary cap.

Answer 3) Inglis should feel right at home at Souths. They usually have nothing to play for by mid May as well.

Isit just me or is the fact that if Inglis is the hottest property in the game and Souths biggest (in every way lol) ever recruit, how come a month shy of Christmas he still hasn't got a registered contract?

BunniesMan certainly has not run out of puff. BunniesMan has a life and cannot be monitoring the forums 24 hours a day.
Does BunniesMan think a Bus Driver would change jobs too? Are you Mundine or just another dimwit who gibgers like him?????

RWB

Bench

Broncos never put in a contract so how could it be approved... you're talking sh*t now.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
Broncos never put in a contract so how could it be approved... you're talking sh*t now.

He's using a quote from a newspaper article that said Schubert had perused the Broncos offer and given it a cursory nod - in no way constituting NRL approval of a Broncos/Inglis contract.

Inglis had agreed to terms with Brisbane, but no contract was lodged with the NRL.

Eels Dude

Coach
It's a subject that has been brought up plenty of times and nearly went to court in the early noughties under 'restriction of trade'.

Would make for an interesting case and unless you have a law degree then I doubt you or I would know what chance it has of holding up in court...

He's not talking about challenging the salary cap in court, he's talking specifically about challenging why Greg Inglis' contract isn't legal UNDER the salary cap.

rabbitohs

Juniors
He's not talking about challenging the salary cap in court, he's talking specifically about challenging why Greg Inglis' contract isn't legal UNDER the salary cap.

The best way to challenge that would be to claim the salary cap itself to be a restraint therefore making the validity of the contract moot.

Any other position sets up a half attack that any decent solicitor wouldn't bother with. They would be effectively fighting with one arm tied behind their back if they don't challenge the cap itself in the argument.

Eels Dude

Coach
The best way to challenge that would be to claim the salary cap itself to be a restraint therefore making the validity of the contract moot.

Any other position sets up a half attack that any decent solicitor wouldn't bother with. They would be effectively fighting with one arm tied behind their back if they don't challenge the cap itself in the argument.

That's opening a whole can of worms which was be really ridiculous line for Souths to attack and long drawn out with very little to gain. Surely the credibility of the game means more than having Greg Inglis at your club. Surely Souths aren't that selfish.

Loudstrat

Coach
Selfish or not, Souths would be in their rights to challenge if they feel they have been duded.

Anyway, how would it be wrong to be selfish in this case? Not long ago "for the good of Rugby League" meant - according to 13 other clubs "No Souths". And such a case would hardly rank up the selfish scale when counted against court cases from Dennis Tutty (transfer fees), Terry Hill (draft), Super League, Manly absorbing Norths, Brisbane's exclusivity agreement, or cap rorting at Canterbury and Melboring.

Just because their supporters are suddenly chronic f*ckwits on internet forums doesn't mean that they don't have a point.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
If teams like StGeorge can fit in Gasnier and Brisbane could sign up Inglis, why can't we fit him in?

It is not as if we are stacked with rep players across the park.
Of course you can do it Ziggy. Just have to stay within the rules of the salary cap.

Two questions, if I may...

1. Were Souths at the cap limit in 2010?
2. If the answer is yes, who are Souths shedding to make way for Inglis?

It's OK if you don't know the answer, but perhaps you could hazard a guess.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Why are St George fans so concerned by the Inglis move?

Are you peeved you spent all the coin on Le Gaz or something?

Or are you just recogninising there are sfa Easts fans on this forum and stepping into their "Anti Souths" shoes for them. I mean all this Anti-Inglis energy could be spent beratting Paul Gallen. Don't tell me there is sympathy for Cronulla...

rabbitohs

Juniors
That's opening a whole can of worms which was be really ridiculous line for Souths to attack and long drawn out with very little to gain. Surely the credibility of the game means more than having Greg Inglis at your club. Surely Souths aren't that selfish.

That's the $64,000 question. It seems inevitable that a player in one code or another will do so. It's just a mater of when. Hopefully this is not the time.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Why are St George fans so concerned by the Inglis move?
It's called a discussion forum Antilag.

This is the NRL section of that discussion forum.

ANTiLAG said:
Are you peeved you spent all the coin on Le Gaz or something?
lol. I doubt it. Check out the trophy cabinet.

Are you concerned about the Gasnier move?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
That's the $64,000 question. It seems inevitable that a player in one code or another will do so. It's just a mater of when. Hopefully this is not the time.
Here's my tip...

There'll be no legal challenge.
Because...
Inglis will officially sign with Souths following the NRL green light.

Might take a little while, because these things take time.

You guys worry too much. Blame Russell for being the showman.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
It's called a discussion forum Antilag.

I never asked what this forum was called but thanks for the information - at over 1,000 posts you should have assumed I knew what this is.

This is the NRL section of that discussion forum.

Having posted in here once again it was acquiesced I know what this is Willow.

lol. I doubt it. Check out the trophy cabinet.

Are you suggesting Mark Gasnier is currently, if ever at all, a better player than Inglis? Seriously - I have heard of bias and all but this is a whole new level. Fat Inglis is still a better player than Le Ole Gaz. Fit GI > Le Young Gaz. In fact Fat GI > Le Young Gaz.

Are you concerned about the Gasnier move?

No - I quite like watching St Illawarra. I'd be stoked for him to perform. If I was a St George fan I would concerned about the player loss of his back ended contract if he continues to play seriously average football. I have no doubts St George still would have won without Gasnier this year. But you've now lost J Smith and may lose some other important players before his contract out - was Le Gaz worth it? If I was a St george fan I would be peeved at wasting all that money on Gaz when Inglis's good mate Mundine could have got him to go St George. Imagine a St George team with Inglis in it - SCARY. :) But you have Le Ole Gaz - and remember Le Young Gaz was arguably the best centre around pre Inglis. But the reality is - based on his return to NRL opposition centres are hardly concerned by Gasnier - why should any fan be :) Hopefully he steps it upa notch and hasn't just milked you guys for a retirement cheque.

Last edited:

RWB

Bench

Saying it's selfish is a little ignorant, there's a lot of people who don't believe in the cap and have their reasoning. I'm a fan of the salary cap but it'd be ignorant of me to say anyone or any club who challenged that was selfish.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Wow. I touched a nerved... without even trying.

Antilag, I don't care about who is the better player. They are both fine footballers imo, and I have been a fan of both for some years.

I see it's a big deal for you to pit one against the other.

cleary89

Coach
Gaz def worth it. Both nightys tries were because winger came in on gaz. No way fat inglis better than gaz. Either way, we got him 5 years for the same price souths got inglis for 3. Inglis will be 120kg before turning up at training. How much weight can he lose in 2 months?

Status
Not open for further replies.