What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Inglis headed to South Sydney - no players to be shed

Status
Not open for further replies.

BranVan3000

Coach
Why can't clubs have negotiating rights with third-party sponsors if sponsorships comes back to reflect on the club and on their cap situation?

I'm sure Souths and Inglis will just reorganise their third party arrangements but it won't happen overnight

Dingus

Juniors
Third party rule is a joke. Clubs should be allowed to sign 2 or 3 marque players and be allowed to pay them whatever the f**k they want. Especially when the it is not even the clubs money they are using. Again the nrl is not maximising its revenue streams. How does restricting sponsorship protect clubs from going broke.

Its a rollon effect. Bigger clubs have better sponsorship deals and thus can attract better thirdparty deals for their players conditional on them playing for that club.

This puts strain on the smaller clubs to either push their dollar or lose the majority of their talent, thus making the competition lopsided, and putting greater strain on the lower tier teams, and their existence

Slammin

Juniors
Things that are quite plausible to now happen IMO in most likely order:

1. GI seen sporting a Eels jersey as early as Monday Morning

2. GI explaining to Bruno Cullen about the misunderstanding with a smooth "We cool bra?"

3. GI is not signed by anyone and now we watch the Storm's legal team claim GI breached his contract for wearing South's uniform and once achieved to break contract they will sue him for the lawyer fees. GI's response will be a plead "C'mon cuz don't be like dat I'm sober".

4. Souths release 3 players, sign 3 redfern drunks for minimum pay and GI is now officially a rabbitoh. All souths fan will still be stupid enough to claim they are premiership favourites though it is not their fault as they are all drunk at the local (park?).

5. Anthony Mundine buys GI out and now uses him as his own play toy and puppet. Anticipate a February fight as an undercard to a $BW fight. Will most likely fight the same bum off the street they gave to Hopoate on his debut fight.

gronkathon

First Grade
If the Bunnies want to offload Lowe they are more geniused than I thought. The only true worker in their pack finally coming of age and they might be willing to let him go for Capt Love Handles. Morons

adamkungl

Immortal
Its a rollon effect. Bigger clubs have better sponsorship deals and thus can attract better thirdparty deals for their players conditional on them playing for that club.

This puts strain on the smaller clubs to either push their dollar or lose the majority of their talent, thus making the competition lopsided, and putting greater strain on the lower tier teams, and their existence

At some point surely there has to be some onus on clubs to market themselves better, to be more successful, right? This isn't a charity it's a world class competition. And if the deals are truly third party, how is it even legal to limit how and how much a player can earn?

God-King Dean

Immortal
Perhaps a Souths fan can enlighten me to contrary (not BunniesMan), but I thought Souths were struggling for depth?

If they offload three players for Inglis......

BranVan3000

Coach
Perhaps a Souths fan can enlighten me to contrary (not BunniesMan), but I thought Souths were struggling for depth?

Well if nothing else we're definitely not struggling for depth in the centres :lol:

I think we're a bit better now than last year thanks to the (minor premiership winning) Toyota Cup team coming into the NRL

Mr Spock!

Referee
actly

Exactly. And thats only if Parra want to pay ridiculous overs for them. Parra could just offer them a 100k contract then the rest still counts towards souths cap.

So why aren't the Storm required to make any shortfall in Inglis's contract?

Ulysseus

Bench
Legit contracts for legit work won't fall through every day of the week like you're making it sound they will

Hold the phone here for a minute.
This talk isn't in relation to the same Inglis who many have said could not comprehend a contract or know what salary cap even means.
To take this logic, it is morally reprehensible that he be given freebie work as a cardboard cut out face of something for an over inflated value on what his actual role is.
Tallis being on the NRL board springs to mind, exactly what business acumen he brought to this role is questionable................... at best.
Ditto Inglis working for ANZ etc, as a few people have pointed out, he isn't likely to know what compounding quarterly even means unless we are talking about the size of his ever expanding girth.

Ziggy the God

First Grade
Hold the phone here for a minute.
This talk isn't in relation to the same Inglis who many have said could not comprehend a contract or know what salary cap even means.
To take this logic, it is morally reprehensible that he be given freebie work as a cardboard cut out face of something for an over inflated value on what his actual role is.
Tallis being on the NRL board springs to mind, exactly what business acumen he brought to this role is questionable................... at best.
Ditto Inglis working for ANZ etc, as a few people have pointed out, he isn't likely to know what compounding quarterly even means unless we are talking about the size of his ever expanding girth.

So what does Gaz, you know the guy who turned his back on League, then came back for a paycheck, do for his Channel Nein 3PA? Oh yeah, he goes on The Footy Show to help with ratings........

In terms of the ANZ deal, how about you think about it more than 3 seconds. They are taking the view that he will bring more people through the gate, thus helping them sell their crap $5.50 soggy pies and flat beers.

BunniesMan

Immortal
So the Rabbits now have to get rid of Crocker, Champion and Lowe to keep Inglis...if they choose to this good luck but they could end up in a similar situation to the Broncos in the last two years with an average side built around Folau who they paid overs for.

Champion would be a good pick up IMO. Crocker is past his use by date and is too injury prone.

Lowe coud join his brother at Storm...
We're releasing backrowers and centres. We have backrowers like Burgess and Taylor. As for centre, Inglis is a centre and we have several incredibly talented young centres coming through.

Including this bloke who scored a hattrick on debut and couldn't get a regular spot. He's got superstar written all over him. If champion leaving means he's a 1st grade starter from round 1 then I'm happy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yRoquABeTY
Now I can't wait for the cliche filled drivel from certain Souths fans.

An example of this will be:

Champion, Crocker and Lowe have been proud warriors for the SSDRLFC, they have shed blood for this proud club and will happily sacrifice themselves for the future benefit of this club where dreams come true and I am sure they will understand and hold no malice to the club where dreams come true.

Just another reason to hate Souths, now you can add lying cap cheats to the list. Onya Richo.
It's not personal. It's business. The players we're letting go while all good players and good blokes, they are replaceable. Inglis is not.
Shouldn't it be the Queensland Health Department?

Would this mean the taxes of NSW people will be going to the bloke who walked out on his state to play for Qld? This just gets better and better.

And the very idea that the company that owns Souths' home ground could be considered a third party is quite ridiculous too. Especially when that company lured Souths there with a cheap deal to begin with. It makes a mockery of the third party rule, which is probably an accurate reflection of it.

Are you that f**king stupid????

ANZ Stadium own the ground Soufs play at.

You think they are a true third party??

Suck sh*t you trackhead.

Went off way to soon and look at it now.

Watch Soufs now unload some nufty and claim he was on 350k.
ANZ is managed by an afl executive. ANZ wouldn't cheat for us.

Puts strain on the smaller clubs? Because they're not capable of getting on the phone and bringing in 3rd parties? If they are too clueless to do that, f**k them. This isn't a charity, why bring down the top clubs to babysit the incompetent ones.
Things that are quite plausible to now happen IMO in most likely order:

1. GI seen sporting a Eels jersey as early as Monday Morning

2. GI explaining to Bruno Cullen about the misunderstanding with a smooth "We cool bra?"

3. GI is not signed by anyone and now we watch the Storm's legal team claim GI breached his contract for wearing South's uniform and once achieved to break contract they will sue him for the lawyer fees. GI's response will be a plead "C'mon cuz don't be like dat I'm sober".

4. Souths release 3 players, sign 3 redfern drunks for minimum pay and GI is now officially a rabbitoh. All souths fan will still be stupid enough to claim they are premiership favourites though it is not their fault as they are all drunk at the local (park?).

5. Anthony Mundine buys GI out and now uses him as his own play toy and puppet. Anticipate a February fight as an undercard to a $BW fight. Will most likely fight the same bum off the street they gave to Hopoate on his debut fight.
That one will happen except we're not drunk at the local. Most of us work or are currently on uni holidays (like me). Inglis will be a Rabbitoh. We are premiership favourities, the bookies have brought us in from $7 to $6 this week...

At some point surely there has to be some onus on clubs to market themselves better, to be more successful, right? This isn't a charity it's a world class competition. And if the deals are truly third party, how is it even legal to limit how and how much a player can earn?
You're right but some would want us to hold back our top clubs forever for the sake of the incompetent clubs, instead of forcing the incompetents to improve themselves.

And it's not legal, it's a restraint of trade and it's just asking to be challenged in court one day.

Depth at front row is an issue, that's why I'm glad it's not Asotasi going. We're dropping backrowers and centres, we have plenty of those, including a centre who scored a hattrick on debut who couldn't get a regular game.

Danish

Referee
If I could be bothered it would be a laugh to dig up some old salary cap threads for 02-06 pre-souths getting hold of Rusty's cheque book to see what their thoughts of keeping the competition even was then.

BunniesMan

Immortal
I lol'd :lol:
If the NRL knew what they were doing that quote would still be valid.
If I could be bothered it would be a laugh to dig up some old salary cap threads for 02-06 pre-souths getting hold of Rusty's cheque book to see what their thoughts of keeping the competition even was then.
Point? We managed to get ourselves out from all that mediocrity, it isn't beyond other clubs. We went from incompetent management to being one of the most successful off field teams. Self improvement isn't something that only Souths can do, other clubs can if they aren't clueless.

Slammin

Juniors
And also, the bid is all above board, Souths have been given permission to negotiate, there is room in the cap, there are concessions and allowances that souths are taking advantage of, as well as the backending factor. So no players will be sacked to make room for him.

OMG I LOL'd

BranVan3000

Coach
It''d be pretty pathetic if we've gotten rid of Best, Champion, Crocker and Lowe just for Inglis.

I don't see it happening.

BunniesMan

Immortal
I lol'd again....irony much? :lol:
Irony is fun too. Still, "solid" players come around all the time, we kept out a bloke that got a hattrick on debut for Champion, we have 2 of the best back rowers in the game so Lowe isn't a necessity. Inglis is a gamechanger, someone like him doesn't come around every day of the week.
OMG I LOL'd
Glad to be of service. How long did it take you to find all those quotes? Don't you have something better to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts