What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Guitars

Kurt Angle

First Grade
whats a good trick for fingering the board? I got fat fingers and sometimes they touch other strings

:?

What are you trying to play? I can guarantee you no matter how fat your fingers are, they aren't as fat as B.B. King's.

Fat fingers bear no relevance if you play lead breaks, pressing more than one string with your fretting hand doesn't matter, all you'll play with your right hand is one string, or two for double stops.

If you're messing up here, work on your right hand (if you're a right handed guitarist). A much under-estimated technique. Eddie van Halen is the master of the right hand.

If you're talking about fretting open chords, which I suspect, then focus more on bar chords and play 2 or 3 strings. Iommi virtually created metal with Black Sabbath with this technique.

He lost the tips of his 2nd and 3rd fingers on his fretting hand, and with the loss of sensation, the focus on this gave that heavier texture and depth.

And lastly, stay away from loser bands like Ratt and Winger.

:?

What are you trying to play? I can guarantee you no matter how fat your fingers are, they aren't as fat as B.B. King's.

Fat fingers bear no relevance if you play lead breaks, pressing more than one string with your fretting hand doesn't matter, all you'll play with your right hand is one string, or two for double stops.

If you're messing up here, work on your right hand (if you're a right handed guitarist). A much under-estimated technique. Eddie van Halen is the master of the right hand.

If you're talking about fretting open chords, which I suspect, then focus more on bar chords and play 2 or 3 strings. Iommi virtually created metal with Black Sabbath with this technique.

He lost the tips of his 2nd and 3rd fingers on his fretting hand, and with the loss of sensation, the focus on this gave that heavier texture and depth.

And lastly, stay away from loser bands like Ratt and Winger.

I mean sometimes they touch another string

also how the f**k can I play impossible chords that require one finger over the whole 6 and then finger 2,3 and 4 like 3 bars away... shit is impossible!

I use this site for chords and practice them, look at F 7b9
http://www.chordbook.com/guitarchords.php

Kurt Angle

First Grade
So what if they touch the other string if you don't pluck the string? That's my point about playing a style.

A lot of metal for example has a lot of open string triplets with some double stops. Slayer comes to mind.

As far as the 'how do I hold one finger over all 6 frets'... man, have you only owned a guitar for 3 weeks? Practice, practice, practice You should be expected to cover 4 to 5 frets in any position.

The F7b9 example is one of the easier examples. You've picked a confusing example as they indicate both the fret position and the finger you use to hold it.

In a standard major bar chord, it's called a bar because the first position is barred with your first finger.

So with an F major, you clamp all 6 strings with your first finger, replicating the nut.

You will then notice after than your 2nd, 3rd and 4th finger shape an open E major chord. The only difference with your f7b9 is that your pinky finger moves one fret upwards to get the flat 9th (or 8th sharp).

For practice, start with doing just major bard chords, and playing the 4th, 5th and 6th strings.

Use your 1st, 3rd and 4th fingers.

Therefore an F5 would be 1.3.3, G5 would be 3.5.5, A5 = 5.7.7, etc

So what if they touch the other string if you don't pluck the string? That's my point about playing a style.

A lot of metal for example has a lot of open string triplets with some double stops. Slayer comes to mind.

As far as the 'how do I hold one finger over all 6 frets'... man, have you only owned a guitar for 3 weeks? Practice, practice, practice You should be expected to cover 4 to 5 frets in any position.

The F7b9 example is one of the easier examples. You've picked a confusing example as they indicate both the fret position and the finger you use to hold it.

In a standard major bar chord, it's called a bar because the first position is barred with your first finger.

So with an F major, you clamp all 6 strings with your first finger, replicating the nut.

You will then notice after than your 2nd, 3rd and 4th finger shape an open E major chord. The only difference with your f7b9 is that your pinky finger moves one fret upwards to get the flat 9th (or 8th sharp).

For practice, start with doing just major bard chords, and playing the 4th, 5th and 6th strings.

Use your 1st, 3rd and 4th fingers.

Therefore an F5 would be 1.3.3, G5 would be 3.5.5, A5 = 5.7.7, etc

alright thanks for the tips, I have had it for a couple of months now, I think I need a lesson for the basics.

I should practice more but its hard to find the time.

CC_Eagle

First Grade
Lessons are thoroughly worth the money.

It's the best and only way to learn proper technique. Like anything, unless you have decent technique, you'll struggle to do anything.

Danish

Referee
Been playing for about a year, got an acoustic and an old strat of the father in law's. Don't know what it is but the bloke who restrung it for me seemed to think it was something pretty special (japanese 80s or something).

Really enjoy it, although to be honest ever since I bought my ukulele in hawaii back in February I have barely played anything else. Such a cool, fun instrument.

beave

Coach
nice thread!!

I've been playing for 18 years, should be a lot better than what I am but during that time there has been a few breaks due to family commitments and work. I gigged with another lad up here for 3 years, acoustic duet, my mate could sing and play the bare bones of the chords and I did all the more intricate parts (melody lines and solos). Played at a heap of pubs and clubs (even opened up for James Reyne in 2004 in front of a few thousand people, never been so nervous in my life!!!!) had an absolute ball but the other lad got posted to Newcastle so I havent really played it seriously in about 4 years, I miss the money but I don't miss the late nights and then having to rock up to work the next morning at my full time job after minimal sleep, I doubt I could do it ever again now with a family on the way. Here's some pics of my gear.

Here's my first Maton I've ever owned, back when they used to make EMC125's, this bad boy has been all over the world with me, took it to the Middle East when I was deployed there in 2003, used to jam with a few yank lads to pass the time, thank god I took it because there wasn't much else to do recreation wise. It's a bit banged up these days, the heat over in the 'sandpit' really f**ked the soundboard, it's cracked pretty bad.
8cd6f62c-1.jpg

here's my EMC325, this was my gigging guitar. I love this one to bits, best acoustic I have ever owned.
dc0d7f6e.jpg

Last edited:

beave

Coach
now to my electric gear, here is my Peavey 6505............. this thing f**king screams!!!! They are the old Peavey 5150's that Van Halen used but just rebadged when he took the amp over to fender. Amazing amp if you are into high gain music, I run a Maxon overdrive on top of the distortion, really makes a difference and more punch to the tone.
IMG_0723.jpg

another shot of it with the tubes in action

IMG_0722.jpg

and here's my Schecter Hellraiser. Basically an ESP based guitar, has most of the same fruit on it like the ESP's and LTD's, at a pretty good price. Active EMG's really give it some punch.The neck isn't the fastest I've ever played and it needs a good session of getting it set up right by a luther or someone who knows that they are doing, the heat and humidity up here has make the neck move a fair bit. Sounds good though.

04bb7ff4.jpg

ignore the EQ settings on the amp, those pics are when i first bought her and I was messing around with the EQ a fair bit, I started out with the scooped mids but I have the mids now at about 4, low 6, treble 8.

Last edited:
wow good stuff beave, can you show me some youtubes of you playing?

to open up infront of a few thousand people wouldn't be easy

that ESP reminds me of the kirk hammet one, I'd love to be good and play that.

beave

Coach
yeah that is nice, I love reverse headstocks like that.

I originally wanted a cherry Hellraiser but the local shop couldn't get any in for a while, they look amazing, this is obviously the 7 stringed version but you get an idea of what they look like. Schecters make a pretty good guitar, I would look at buying another one if I was looking for another guitar.

bch_7_front2.jpg

I will try and film some stuff, maybe just something like metallica, I am very much out of practice these days so it probably won't be a 'pristine' cover so to speak.

Last edited:
ive been playing on and off for 5 years.

played in a band in high school. now just muck about with mates playing punk songs and the odd chisel song.

i play a beat up epiphone gibson SG rip off. however i had it wired up with some quality pickups so it sounds good and im able to thrash it around a garage as its quite lite.

got a fat sharkies sticker on it too.

guitars are great.

Last edited: