What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Guitars

melon....

Coach
all your guitars are better than my squire :*(
Ive got a 1997 Korean Squire Strat that i recently upgraded with Texas Specials (pickups) and did some work on it. Plays better than my old Mexican Strat. The Korean ones are getting popular like the Made in Japan Fenders did in the late 80s and 90s. Check the serial number and wiki it it will tell you where it was made. The bodies were better out of Japan and Korea as they still used ash. The Indian and Chinese affinities use crap wood compared o the early models.

Currently Ive got
A 1997 Squier strat
A 225 cutaway Maton semi accoustic
and i built
A hollow body Telecaster with humbucker in bridge, lipstick in neck.
and a Les Paul Junior 1959 replica that i mainly use now. (These are in the Melons Guitars thread)
Currently building a custom double cut with (undecided) a neckthrough.
I started winding my own pickups too. Which is fun getting some sounding better than Dimarzios for a 10th of the price. i prefer vintage sounds, so I make a lot of vintage spec PAFs, early Gibson, Gretch filtertron styl and of course by favorite bone stripper - the P-90!

Unlike Charlie, I cant read a note but play by ear and am self taught. Having said that, im taking some more lessons to iron out a few bad habits with my lead playing.

melon....

Coach
And,

2303443504_50b3d5700c.jpg

Almost alike...except I put a p-90 in mine. And teh burst is a little diff.

finished1.jpg

Jack_Napier

Staff member
Nice work melon.

Currently have 2 ibanez electrics, yamaha semi acoustic that is so beautiful to play. So shocked considering I picked it up for 50. Being young and into metal, punk and hardcore I've always gone for the heavier tones with no foot pedals needed.

Got a Randall warhead head sittin on Marshall 4 x 12 slant cab.

manly40gimps0

Juniors
I've been playing for about 33 years.

I own 5 guitars at the moment.

1978 les paul custom.. sunburst.
Ibanez roadster series two.. blond wood grain with locking machine heads.
Ibanez les paul.. the lawsuit model.. black.
Ibanez gax75.. with the drop d down shifter.. black.
Ibanez v500 acoustic.
Fender piece of shit telecaster.

Amps
An old 120w fender super reverb valve & quad. 4 x 12 inch 75 watt etones.
Peavy bandit 80 watt.
Fender 50 watt fm210r practise amp.

snoozer

Bench
does anyone know anything about tanglewood acoustics?

my old man won one in a raffle at a blues festival and i've "borrowed" it off him(he doesn't like steel strings).

sounds really nice and plays well so i'm happy!

Jason Maher

Immortal
Just bought one of these babies (in black):

ms2000_std_black.jpg

I love it. A lot. Also have a Maton EM225C electric acoustic, and a 90s Epiphone Nighthawk. My amps a Peavey Bandit 112, which often functions as a speaker for my Boss GT-8 multi-effects unit. The Bandit was the best sounding amp I tried (by a long way) in the price range I was looking when I got it 10 years ago. One of these days I'll get a Roland JC-120 and a tube amp that goes to 11.

beave

Coach
does anyone know anything about tanglewood acoustics?

my old man won one in a raffle at a blues festival and i've "borrowed" it off him(he doesn't like steel strings).

sounds really nice and plays well so i'm happy!

My mate that I gigged with up here was in need of a new acoustic and ended up getting a tanglewood at the local music store up here and value for money, his $1000 tangle plays like a $2000 Maton. Very good quality, I don't know how they sell them for so cheap.

beave

Coach
could explain it, either way I've played far less decent guitars that we double the price of my mates Tanglewood, I personally don't get too caught up in where a guitar is made.

maccattack

Juniors
Me I have a Maton EBG808 Artist acoustic which lives up to all the wraps.
you can hear it on the second track here

as well as a cheap travel acoustic which I love.

As regards electrics I have:

a black Gretsch Pro Jet with TV Jones pups and bigsby. I use this mostly for heavier sounds but it also does clean exceptionaly well as you can hear on the rhythm track on the first song here

Fender Strat deluxe in honeymilk

Fender Tele with fotoflame neck that looks pretty cool

Danelectro 59 which looks great but I dont use it too much

Fender PJ deluxe bass which sounds like thunder

snoozer

Bench
My mate that I gigged with up here was in need of a new acoustic and ended up getting a tanglewood at the local music store up here and value for money, his $1000 tangle plays like a $2000 Maton. Very good quality, I don't know how they sell them for so cheap.
as far as i can work out mine is worth about $500 and it plays and sounds great. a couple of mates who own matons and ovations respectively were really impressed with it.

Tanglewood's are cheap because they're made in China.

mine says handmade in the uk on the lable inside the soundhole.

Gene Krupa

Referee
I have an Epiphone Les Paul Custom, black, I call her Stella. It's almost as good as the real thing. The pick-up's aren't quite as hot but man for a 1/4 the price, I got my dream guitar. I also have a Valencia acoustic, it's a dog of a guitar, really poor action, and the G string sticks, no matter what i do to try and fix it but i love it all the same. :)

manly40gimps0

Juniors
I have an Epiphone Les Paul Custom, black, I call her Stella. It's almost as good as the real thing. The pick-up's aren't quite as hot but man for a 1/4 the price, I got my dream guitar. I also have a Valencia acoustic, it's a dog of a guitar, really poor action, and the G string sticks, no matter what i do to try and fix it but i love it all the same. :)
What do you mean by the G string sticks, A nick in the threat?

Mr Spock!

Referee
Had a Gibson and a 12 string which I really liked. A cheap Aria I think. Really liked the tone of 12 strings.

First guitar was a Washburn and how have a Maton cutaway.

Charles there's heaps of guitar good courses on the Internet. Maybe some on here can share what they've found helpful.

eg

http://www.freeguitarcourse.com/index.html

I'm still not the great with tuning. My guitar tuner broke the other day and I downloaded an app to my Iphone and now have a free guitar tuner.

I checked it and it is pretty accurate.

Latest posts