What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gus can shove his "Origin Experience" up his arse

Frustrated Fan

Juniors
SOO means more to the Australian players than test football. Case in point:
Late in the second half Billy Slater was running the ball out from his own in goal. If it was SOO he would have put his body on the line and gone to ground to ensure posession in the field of play. Instead he stayed upright and was bundled back into the in goal.

Chook Norris

First Grade
The Australian team is rarely selected on that basis

well the coach/selectors choose the team on that perceived basis; you could say the same about the NSW or QLD teams - there are bound to be contentious selections when everything is subjective

Chook Norris

First Grade
SOO means more to the Australian players than test football. Case in point:
Late in the second half Billy Slater was running the ball out from his own in goal. If it was SOO he would have put his body on the line and gone to ground to ensure posession in the field of play. Instead he stayed upright and was bundled back into the in goal.

or maybe he looked up and saw a massive bunch of passionate kiwis rather than some NSW pussies who've achieved nothing for 5 years?

Big Pete

Referee
The Australian team is rarely selected on that basis

:lol: I know right...

CB if it was can you explain to me why...

in 2005 the following were chosen...

Willie Mason
Scott Prince
Luke O'Donnell
Eric Grothe Jr.
Brent Tate
Mark O'Meley

in 2006 why the following were chosen...

Antonio Kafusi
Jamie Lyon (didn't even play NRL that year...)
Reni Maitua
Anthony Tupou

in 2008 why the following were chosen...

Terry Campese
Darren Lockyer
Josh Perry
Brent Kite
Glenn Stewart
Anthony Watmough
David Williams

in 2009 the following were chosen...
Cooper Cronk
Nathan Hindmarsh
Ryan Hoffman
Brett Morris

or in 2010 the following were chosen...

Todd Carney
Robbie Farah
Chris Lawrence
Lote Tuqiri
Dean Young

Would also argue why Kidley and a few other s**t Origin players were chosen but yeah...

butchmcdick

Post Whore
Yeah that was really pissing me off too.

He said the Kiwis were "Not out of it yet" a few times when Australia were leading 6-0 after claiming the first try when they shouldn't have.

Gee 6-0 down and "not out of it yet". Thanks Gus for your insight.

Yeah the origin references were bullsh*t but so was Gus's expectations that the kiwi's were just going to lie down and take it like a bitch when Australia got in front in the second half. Also he made the entire last 20 about Benji Marshall when Eastwood and Smith were smashing Australia everytime they took the ball up but got no credit from Gus.

I believe at one point he basically said the game plan for the Kiwi's should be to get the ball to Marshall and just sit back and bask in his greatness. That isn't what happened at all with all 17 players digging deep to beat Australia when it mattered.

Finally I don't know how many times he said the Kiwi's were gone and fell back on the old ' big kiwi forwards are tired, they have nothing, they are out on thier feet ' bullsh*t line they trot out everytime the Warriors play. They were so tired they smashed our players everytime they took the ball up in the last 10 minutes.

butchmcdick

Post Whore
:lol: I know right...

CB if it was can you explain to me why...

in 2005 the following were chosen...

Willie Mason
Scott Prince
Luke O'Donnell
Eric Grothe Jr.
Brent Tate
Mark O'Meley

in 2006 why the following were chosen...

Antonio Kafusi
Jamie Lyon (didn't even play NRL that year...)
Reni Maitua
Anthony Tupou

in 2008 why the following were chosen...

Terry Campese
Darren Lockyer
Josh Perry
Brent Kite
Glenn Stewart
Anthony Watmough
David Williams

in 2009 the following were chosen...
Cooper Cronk
Nathan Hindmarsh
Ryan Hoffman
Brett Morris

or in 2010 the following were chosen...

Todd Carney
Robbie Farah
Chris Lawrence
Lote Tuqiri
Dean Young

Would also argue why Kidley and a few other s**t Origin players were chosen but yeah...

Wasn't Carl Webb chosen to play for Australia in 2008 ?

stormbati

Bench
Lol my house was packed with Kiwis (inlaws) and the "we are origin" line was the main talking point after the win.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
What got me was that apart from Benji (his lover) and sam perritt (a rooster) he gave no credit whatsoever to the NZ team, squad or coaching staff.
His disrespect for the game at this level is terrible.

Iafeta

Referee
If you think Gus is bad. What about Voss last week? "The Kiwis have no right in my mind to call themselves World Champions anymore". I'm fairly sure that particular trophy sits in NZRL HQ if I'm not mistaken. Moron. He even tried it on with Jeremy Smith post match "Do you still feel as if you're deserving to be called World Champs?" Pal, they just won THIS tournament where you were bagging them out. Go and get f'd.

Iafeta

Referee
Also, why on earth did Nein not wait for the trophy presentation? There was still time before the Lotto draw when they pulled the pin to go to Hey Hey.

kavaholic

Juniors
Didn't he speak of the 'origin experience' whilst the match was in the taking of the Aussies in the WC final? And lol at Rabs saying that it's one of the 'biggest shocks of the century'. 9/11 was a shock, The Boxing Day Tsunami was a shock.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Origin is a joke. I can't believe there was even a debate that it was the 'pinnacle of the game'. How pathetic is that?

Brutus

Referee
What got me was that apart from Benji (his lover) and sam perritt (a rooster) he gave no credit whatsoever to the NZ team, squad or coaching staff.
His disrespect for the game at this level is terrible.

Yep. He gave no credit whatsoever to any other Kiwi player. It was all Benji. Made it sound like they are all a bunch of hacks, but have been saved due to Benji's greatness.

If Benji was so great then why didn't he receive the man-of-the-match award? Surely Gus didn't get a vote.

Gus is an awful International RL commentator and Ch 9 need to be advised of this. Rabs is bloody hopeless too.

Brutus

Referee
Also, why on earth did Nein not wait for the trophy presentation? There was still time before the Lotto draw when they pulled the pin to go to Hey Hey.

Another awful and disrespectful decision by Nein.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Hmmm; in fairness to Gus;

leagueunlimited, nrldotcom, smh, nzherald.co.nz, and other league reporting bodies all have Marshall in either headline or sub headline....

Brutus

Referee
Danny Morrision the cricketer is currently doing more to promote International RL during the coverage of the NZ v India test match than Gus and his cronies could ever hope to do.

Well done Danny boy!

He congratulated the Kiwis on their win and now he's trying to convince fellow commentator Laxman Sivaramakrishnan to watch "the great game of league" on youtube.

Last edited: