What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gymea Hotel re-opening soon FYI

Southern Shark

Juniors
Does Cronulla need a second hotel. Everyone knows it does. Take the shops and smaller restaurants out of the old Cecil and re open it as a hotel overlooking the park. A decent place to drink with views and closer to the station. Many NSW country towns with one tenth the population of Cronulla have 3,4 or 5 hotels plus two or three clubs.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
As previously posted the northies consortium own the licence to the old Cecil but have already been blocked from opening up a new pub near the original site.

Quigs

Immortal
gunnamatta bay said:
As previously posted the northies consortium own the licence to the old Cecil but have already been blocked from opening up a new pub near the original site.

Pssssst Gunna, gidday.

Off subject, was it you mentioning to me about the test match where Conescau lost his front tooth - if so see my thread about the War.

Sorry to interrupt the drinking thread,

Cheers
Declared idiot #88
Quigs

Quigs

Immortal
Southern Shark said:
Does Cronulla need a second hotel. Everyone knows it does. Take the shops and smaller restaurants out of the old Cecil and re open it as a hotel overlooking the park. A decent place to drink with views and closer to the station. Many NSW country towns with one tenth the population of Cronulla have 3,4 or 5 hotels plus two or three clubs.

I remember being a snotty nosed kid and Good Old Dad, as was the practice in the Good Old Days, would take Good Old Mum, me older sis, and little me down to the Cecil for a drive. We lived in Gymea. I suppose it would of been around 1960.

Dad would conveniently park Good Old Mum, me big sis and me under one of the pines. Find his way to the Cecil Public Bar and eventually rematerialize with a Lemon squash for Mum ( a proper pub one too, not one of those farkcan machine ones), two red drinks for the brats along with two packets of Smiths Original Crisps, no choices then.... just fair dinkum chips.... no poofy salt and vinegar, or BBQ, just thick cut properies.

He would then disappear and would eventually reappear much later with another round of the same wonderfull products. We were entertained by watching the crowds roll through the park after obviously leaving the railway station. I forget how "many trains" it was between red drinks for me.

Sometimes we were even allowed to go down to the shop on the beach at the bottom of the stairs and buy a dagwood dog. The shop was just south of the ocean pools - Arrhhh the good old days.

Mum usually got itchy feet when it got that dark that we couldn't see the beach anymore and she would the repossess Dad from the evil den that was the Public Bar of the Cecil. Cause in the Good Old Days women weren't allowed in the Public Bar.

Then it was back up the hill to Gymea. Driver pissed, Mother Happy, Kids Sleeping ...

Memries,
Like the corners of my mind
Misty water-colored memories
Of the way we were
Scattered pictures,
Of the smiles we left behind
Smiles we gave to one another
For the way we were
Can it be that it was all so simple then?
Or has time re-written every line?
If we had the chance to do it all again
Tell me, would we? could we?
Memries, may be beautiful and yet
Whats too painful to remember
We simply choose to forget
So its the laughter
We will remember
Whenever we remember...
The way we were...
The way we were...

Cheers
Declared Old Idiot #88
Quigs

gunnamatta bay

Referee
Lets not forget the Cecil had one of the best beer gardens in the land. Lush grass. Yes real grass. Rose garden and swaying palms.

Those historical books you can buy in the newsagent about all the local areas are good. The Shire ones show the old Cecil Hotel and the beach front Cecil ballroom and kiosk.

As a kid we would go to the beach all day. Lunch time we would buy one of those cans of pineapple juice. Nothing tasted better after surfing all morning in the hot sun.

newman

First Grade
So Sirshire finds a better pub than Northies. Whatd it take, two weeks?

I was at Northies last night. AGAIN.

The Nulla

Juniors
King of the Hill said:
Me too Newman.

I feel your pain.

Pain?? Pleasure is all you were feeling last night my dear friend. The lights, the music, the atmosphere, the females and your flailing limbs... You love it and always will.

SirShire

First Grade
newman said:
So Sirshire finds a better pub than Northies. Whatd it take, two weeks?

I was at Northies last night. AGAIN.

Lets be fair OK - I wouldn't compare the Newport to any other pub in the world, it is a super pub.

I sailed up there that morning and got off the RMYC at 11, and we go to the Newport. I look at it from the outside and think "nothing special". Go inside, and see the framed "Miss East Coast" contestants from 1991-2005 and I am immiediately blown away.

I walk outside to the grill area and think "this is huge, amazing, look at the girls here on a Friday lunch!" Then I keep on walking, and the view kills me. I am deadset gobsmacked at how such an enourmous pub can be alive. Then I see the outdoor bar and the sports theatre and I died.

RMYC Newport is unreal too.

Carlz

Juniors
The Nulla said:
Pain?? Pleasure is all you were feeling last night my dear friend. The lights, the music, the atmosphere, the females and your flailing limbs... You love it and always will.

i love all fusion dance offs...

SirShire

First Grade
Bastard_Squad said:
What's a sports theatre ? It sounds like a good thing.

To quote the Newport Arms website,

"Come and join the masses with Northern Beaches Largest Outdoor Screen featuring all the big games as well as daily FoxSports programming"

"Whether it be Cricket, Super 14's, ARL, ARU or any other hot sporting ticket, there is no better place to catch all the action than on the MASSIVE OUTDOOR CINEMA SCREEN overlooking Pittwater. Recent upgrade to outdoor screen provides perfect vision day or night.
[When: All Year Round]"

Basically, its like a 3m odd screen on the balcony at the end of the beer garden and behind it is all of Pittwater. So basically you can watch the Ashes, work on your tan, drink your beer, check out the women and take in the wonderful view all outside.

I've got a pic on my phone that I'll try and put up tonight

Latest posts