What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hagan's Sour grapes

Ryan

Juniors
Jason Avedissian

28 May 2008

Tony Williams
MANLY boss Grant Mayer has accused the Eels of ``sour grapes'' after Parramatta coach Michael Hagan questioned the Sea Eagles ability to afford outstanding young prospect Tony Williams.

The Sea Eagles beat off six rival clubs to secure the 19-year-old to a three-year deal yesterday.

The backrower-centre is considered one of the brightest young talents in the game, currently playing for the Eels in the under-20s Toyota Cup.

Williams' switch to the Sea Eagles stunned Parramatta officials, with the club taking the unusual step of issuing a press release to express their extreme disappointment.

But Hagan went further, questioning Manly's financial position to sign the Junior Kangaroo until the end of 2011.

``Do Manly have a different cap to everybody else?'' he asked The Manly Daily last night.
``Didn't they just sign Chris Bailey?

``They must have a very, very good accountant.

``It's always disappointing to lose a quality player who has come through the system, but at the end of the day the offer to go to Manly was nearly double what we offered.

``It was a no-brainer for the player and his manager.''

Mayer bristled when told of Hagan's comments.

``It's a simple case of sour grapes,'' Mayer said.

``Parramatta have for a long time had a depth of players that most NRL clubs have looked on with wonderment.
``To get one away from them is a tremendous coup for us.

``We paid the player what we believe he's worth. If Michael Hagan is intimating we are doing something outside the cap, there's avenues he can go through to make those allegations.''

Chief Sea Eagles recruitment man Noel Cleal said Williams has the potential to establish himself in the game.
``This kid is all power,'' Cleal said. ``He's explosive and can play centre, but is probably going to make his mark as a backrower.''

http://manlydaily.com.au/article/2008/05/28/10318_sports.html

Ryan

Juniors
I find it strange that a team that has players like Luke Williamson, Matt Ballin, Mark Bryant, Michael Bani, Michael Robertson & co. can be cheating the salary cap? Also, Manly are the ONLY team to have NEVER be found to cheat the cap !!

Put the above players I have names in a Melbourne / Brisbane - hell - even St George team @ full strength.

Des just has the ability of making Premier League players into representative type players.

Basically - don't hate us because we are beautiful...

Tekken Lord

Juniors
Hagan is a f**king moron, he offers duds like Lowrie and Wagon overs and selects non-performers and wonders why he can't sign Williams when he's offered twice the money and a chance to play first grade.

f**k i want this sh*t excuse for a coach gone...

Misty Bee

First Grade
Hagan is a f**king moron, he offers duds like Lowrie and Wagon overs and selects non-performers and wonders why he can't sign Williams when he's offered twice the money and a chance to play first grade.

Smith engineered Wagon's last contract.

Anyway, nice inflationary move by Manly. Fitting in the centenary year Manly get nostalgic and buy everything that moves.

Still, a nice addition to the rubbish heap of Eel discards. Pity you missed out on Timmy Smith. Wagon's off contract soon - you'll need another loser to tell Orford what it's like to play Origin.

Smith engineered Wagon's last contract.

Anyway, nice inflationary move by Manly. Fitting in the centenary year Manly get nostalgic and buy everything that moves.

Still, a nice addition to the rubbish heap of Eel discards. Pity you missed out on Timmy Smith. Wagon's off contract soon - you'll need another loser to tell Orford what it's like to play Origin.

Eels discards ?? :lol::lol: Wouldnt know it from all the bitching and moaning your doing.

Eels. Definite John West feel to it.

Parramatta. The club out west players reject the best !

Hypocrates

Juniors

I would beat you at Tekken I know all the moves for all the characters but yoshimitsu is my fave player.

Azkatro

First Grade
Robertson
Glen Stewart
Watmough
King

Pipe down there wittlefan. Your displaying that astounding lack of footy knowledge yet again.
You really think any of those guys will wear either the sky blue or Kangaroos jersey more than once or twice at best in their careers?