What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Halves for the future.

Gronk

Staff member
I honestly think Mortimer would be a good Fullback in the preson campbel fold (just a lot less skillful). He is a good support player and a quality runner of the ball but his not creative and that has always been my issue because neither is Robson.

With Mortimer it is almost always 2 step forwards and 1 step back, he may do something good but then the next week reverts back to the old uncreative player and it makes me think its not natural for him.

Oh dear no. I think Fui would be a better fullback than Mortimer TBH.

I honestly think Mortimer would be a good Fullback in the preson campbel fold (just a lot less skillful). He is a good support player and a quality runner of the ball but his not creative and that has always been my issue because neither is Robson.

With Mortimer it is almost always 2 step forwards and 1 step back, he may do something good but then the next week reverts back to the old uncreative player and it makes me think its not natural for him.

:? were you drunk when you wrote that? :oops:

yy_cheng

Coach
mortz would play a great support 5/8th ala John Morris when Tim Smith was running the show.

But we don't have a half that can organize full time

DeanPay98

Juniors
I would keep Mortimer for another year after this one. Bear in mind that he was brought into first grade a season or two too soon in 2009. What i would like to see is how he fares when we have a quality halfback. My thoughts are that this team can have one of Robson or Mortimer but not both.

I would be more willing to give Mortimer time because he does look like he is improving whilst Robson looks stagnant at this level.

Gronk

Staff member
I would keep Mortimer for another year after this one. Bear in mind that he was brought into first grade a season or two too soon in 2009. What i would like to see is how he fares when we have a quality halfback. My thoughts are that this team can have one of Robson or Mortimer but not both.

I would be more willing to give Mortimer time because he does look like he is improving whilst Robson looks stagnant at this level.

Considering that Morts resigned until end 2012, I think that's gunna happen anyway. ;-)

Stagger eel

Staff member
anyone out there want to know a better option and probably cheaper than Murray at the moment, he's name is Brendon Waters, currently Wenty's half back, draft him into the fulltime squad and get him prepared for first grade, he's a very clever little ball player with a decent turn of speed..

Avenger

Immortal
anyone out there want to know a better option and probably cheaper than Murray at the moment, he's name is Brendon Waters, currently Wenty's half back, draft him into the fulltime squad and get him prepared for first grade, he's a very clever little ball player with a decent turn of speed..
We just need to change it, ok maybe Morts is improving but Robson is starting to make me lose my marbles.

Morts would be at hooker if it were up to me and switching with Matt Keating. Personally I reckon Mitchell has shown jack sh*t this year. Casey to halfback.

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
I still think that Matthew Keating is our best hooker who could be converted into a very good six. When MK is fit and for the rest of this year put him at 6, Casey at 9, Mortimer at 7 (better still Tim Smith if we can get the Eels second tier squad to release him), Robson at 14 & Mitchel back to Wenty. I'd even persevere with Puffing Billy at 14 or 9 for the rest of the year. Billy Rogers has got a good ticker & attitude, is fearless & is skillful.

Eelementary

Post Whore

I totally agree. Morts has actually been good this year IMO. Good, not great. But he's improving.

Robson, though, is going backwards.

I feel if we could put a strong 7 in the side, Mortimer would improve at a much more rapid rate and we'd be laughing.

Bazal

Post Whore

I like Waters...just not sure he's an organiser, or a first grader. Then again, we'd be hard pressed to do worse, so why not?

Chipmunk

Coach
I like Waters...just not sure he's an organiser, or a first grader. Then again, we'd be hard pressed to do worse, so why not?

Couldnt be much worse could he?

I still think if the number 20 for Wenty gets a run in first grade and sets the world on fire then it would just be A Fluke.... :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

ParraFan09

Juniors
IMO Robson has been the better of our halves this year! I think Mortimer needs to go back to Wenty for the rest of the year. Dont bring him back up no matter what. He needs to learn the basics. How to defend when Adam Blair ran through him on sunday to score i was embarrased for the kid. Passing, He just makes it look so difficult. Kicking, Absolutly no idea kicks to the oppostion fullback on the full 9 times out of 10.

Give this a go IMO

1. Hayne( leading playmaker)

6. Mitchell( Can come in and add spark whenever he wants)
7. Robson(second playmaker)

9. Mcguire( Best hooker at Kearney's disposal)

14. Keating( On the improve can learn alot from Mcguire)

I would like to give this a go, would be very interesting to see IMO!

Stagger eel

Staff member

well you obviously wouldn't throw him in straight away, he'd be a project player, get him to run around in the fulltime squad include him in a number of drills and get H or cat to whip him one on one then see where he's at in 4 weeks..

caylo

Bench
IMO Robson has been the better of our halves this year! I think Mortimer needs to go back to Wenty for the rest of the year. Dont bring him back up no matter what. He needs to learn the basics. How to defend when Adam Blair ran through him on sunday to score i was embarrased for the kid. Passing, He just makes it look so difficult. Kicking, Absolutly no idea kicks to the oppostion fullback on the full 9 times out of 10.

Give this a go IMO

1. Hayne( leading playmaker)

6. Mitchell( Can come in and add spark whenever he wants)
7. Robson(second playmaker)

9. Mcguire( Best hooker at Kearney's disposal)

14. Keating( On the improve can learn alot from Mcguire)

I would like to give this a go, would be very interesting to see IMO!

If you were to go down that path I think it would be smarter to play MaGuire or MK in the halves instead of Mitchell.

ParraFan09

Juniors
If you were to go down that path I think it would be smarter to play MaGuire or MK in the halves instead of Mitchell.
Think about it though, Mcguire is our best hooker, yeah?
Keating is the long term hooker for our club, yeah?
Where does Mitchell come in? IMO he is too good to be left out of our 17, Morts is coming up with nothing in attack or defence, And if Mitchell had free range around the paddock he would be so dangerous. I think its worth a shot. Atleast until humble has a few games under his belt for Wenty!

Bazal

Post Whore
Well who do you think our
should be?

6-Mortimer because we have no other options at the moment
7-McGuire

9-Robson until MK is back
14-Mitchell

Ideally, if Murray finds form and Tom "Griffin" Humble works out the cure to invisibility, I'd like to see

6-Humble
7-Murray

9-McGuire
14-Mitchell/MK (whoever is playing better)

ParraFan09

Juniors
6-Mortimer because we have no other options at the moment
7-McGuire

9-Robson until MK is back
14-Mitchell

Ideally, if Murray finds form and Tom "Griffin" Humble works out the cure to invisibility, I'd like to see

6-Humble
7-Murray

9-McGuire
14-Mitchell/MK (whoever is playing better)
Why move our best hook to halfback. it doesnt make sense to weaken one position to strengthen another. Mitchell has no other postion in our 17.

If Mitchell isnt playing at hooker or off the bench. I believe 6 is a good fit.
Another option would be to just play Murray in first grade now i would be happy with.

6. Murray
7. Robson
or
6. Robson
7. Murray

Aslong as Morts isnt playing in the halves he needs to work on his game.

Latest posts