What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Halves

Hindy Rulz

Juniors
As much as I enjoyed seeing Mateo back in the side, the real X-Factor in our run home could be the return of Kris Keating.

Mortimer is doing a great job and should remain at five eighth but Robson has to go as soon as Keating is ready to go.

Robson just kills the attack time and time again. So many times this year we get down near the opposition tryline and he tries to dummy and go himself or simply takes the wrong option.

Last night he constantly tried to force passes to our wide runners in traffic and they were only ever going to result in turnovers at key moments.

I think Keating, provided he is fit, would help make Mortimer more dangerous as he is actually a line break threat and he works very well with Hayne and is a good support player.

Fingers crossed he gets back in the side.

MrT

Juniors
As much as I enjoyed seeing Mateo back in the side, the real X-Factor in our run home could be the return of Kris Keating.

Mortimer is doing a great job and should remain at five eighth but Robson has to go as soon as Keating is ready to go.

Robson just kills the attack time and time again. So many times this year we get down near the opposition tryline and he tries to dummy and go himself or simply takes the wrong option.

Last night he constantly tried to force passes to our wide runners in traffic and they were only ever going to result in turnovers at key moments.

I think Keating, provided he is fit, would help make Mortimer more dangerous as he is actually a line break threat and he works very well with Hayne and is a good support player.

I want KK back also, I can't see Anderson dropping him. Just my opinion

Hindy Rulz

Juniors
I agree that the change is unlikely. As we have seen with Mateo, the coach may be unwilling to change a winning combination but I feel it would be the best move.

As well as being the better player, Keating also has alot more versatility than Robson as he can play well at multiple positions.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
I think Robson adds a stabilising element to the halves and is playing too well to drop. Keating is a fine player but I think Robson offers the team a better balance.

Mateo will play backrow in place of Ben Smith.

Utey

Coach
I wouldn't change the halves. We have enough ball players and Robson has done a brilliant job and played out of his skin.

MRJUCY

Juniors
Most people will disagree with me but I'd take Robson over Keating on current form. When Robson first came in he wasn't as good as Keating but at the moment I think he is playing better then I've ever seen KK play. Saying that I'd take either over Finch.

Robson has to stay he is in the best form of his life, his kicking game has improved heaps and his defence, well i would say he is the best defensive halfback in the NRL at present.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member

I totally agree with you.

I thought after last nights game DA should now see that KK is a much better option than Robson.

His decisions in attack were shown up last night he I thought he was very ordinary.

Mateo added a new dimension when he came on and we still have one more to go, I think we will be a stronger team with KK in there instead of Robson.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Most people will disagree with me but I'd take Robson over Keating on current form. When Robson first came in he wasn't as good as Keating but at the moment I think he is playing better then I've ever seen KK play. Saying that I'd take either over Finch.

I won't disagree with you!

KK isn't Andrew Johns or anything... he's a guy who has played a handful of top grade games at the halfback spot.

And I completely agree with parra-matters - Robson MUST be the best defensive halfback in the NRL at the moment.

To respond to the original post - in terms of "killing our attack" - the last 4 games our attack has really clicked on the back of Hayne, and to a lesser degree, Mortimer. We've scored plenty of points in that time - and with Mateo back, I'd suggest our attack has plenty of facets.

I fail to understand how Keating greatly improves us in that area anyway
In his 18 career top grade games, K Keating has 4 try assists and 2 line break assists.
In his 15 top grade games this year, Robson has 4 try assists and 5 line break assists.

Why on earth would we drop the organiser of a hot team for a guy who likes to step and go himself quite a lot?

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Is it really the half backs job to do so much defense ?

shouldn't he be organizing the attack ?

lingard

Coach
It's a very hard decision. Keating would definitely offer another dimension in attack; but would it be at the expense of our well-developed structure? And would we lose big-time if we didn't have Robson's impeccable cover-defence? I think so. People might not agree with me, but I would be thinking about putting Kris Keating on the bench in place of.......Kevin Kingston. Kingston is good, but I think Keating could play the same role, only better.

hindy111

Post Whore
I won't disagree with you!

I fail to understand how Keating greatly improves us in that area anyway
In his 18 career top grade games, K Keating has 4 try assists and 2 line break assists.
In his 15 top grade games this year, Robson has 4 try assists and 5 line break assists.

Why on earth would we drop the organiser of a hot team for a guy who likes to step and go himself quite a lot?

KK has only started at halfback 4 or 5 games.Bit unfair to count the 25 mins off bench playing at hooker mate and the 4-5 games where the whole team was getting punished.In saying that what i like about robson is that he gives the ball to the back.Im worried keating may try and do it all himself-Just impression i get with him sometimes.If we where 4 points clear or middle of season but its to late now-One mistake and wher gone

Fishboy

Juniors
I agree with everyone who disagrees.

Although there is no doubt KK is the future of our 6 or 7, there is no way we will see him in the team again this year except if injuries occur.

For starters I believe that one of the main reasons we saw mateo back in the team is to appease him. His linkage to the bulldogs over recent weeks has been well documented and he is a player to valuable to risk losing. THere is no doubt in my mind that keeping him happy had a bearing on the decision to bring him back this week. Unfortunately, KK's does not have the same current standing as mateo does.

Secondly, the balance of the team is now right. We don't want too many cooks especially seeing that Hayne has now put his hand up to burden some of the kicking responsibilities and Mortimer has picked up with his boot as well. Its too risky at this stage of the season to make further disruption to the dynamics of the team.

All the guys has been playing well and some of them might not be with us next year (ie robson). I just can't see these guys being dropped for someone who is not yet a fully established and accomplished first grader.

mickdo

Coach
Is it really the half backs job to do so much defense ?

shouldn't he be organizing the attack ?

Who cares what a half-backs 'job' is. If its working for our style of play then why change it?

So what are the differences between our style of play in the first half of the year when we sucked, compared to the second half of the year when we are on fire?

1) Better defence
2) Offload / Hayne based attack

Both of these are perfectly suited to a defensive pair of halves, so why change it now? Look, there's no question KK is a better prospect than Robson in the long term, but if you swapped him out now, that would dramatically disrupt the balance of the side, mentally as well. I just can't see DA doing it, except if an injury was to occur (touch wood).

bartman

Immortal
I distinctly recall seeing Robson save a try (and avoid a line drop out) under the posts.

For all KK's attacking ability, it's not something we're short on across the whole park at the moment. Defence - and smarts about where to position yourself - is something we're short of.

If Robson, Mortimer, M Keating or Kingston suffer a niggling injury, then sure bring KK back on the bench. But otherwise, let's see him start owning it with Wenty in his return from injury (in preparation for his NRL role in 2010 and beyond) before calling for a disruptive change?

Mateo is a different story, as he individually adds to the forwards something we don't have, and consistency in the combinations in the pack aren't as important as they are in the backs.

If we hadn't won six in a row, it would be a no brianer and KK would be back instantly. But you can't argue with current form like that.

Kenny Powers

Juniors
Keating and Mortimer in the same side, the opposition forwards will be spoiled for choice with who to run at. If Robson was kicking as bad as back when he first came into the side I would agree to drop him but he has improved greatly. Mortimer is the better kicker but Robson has stepped up. Besides he wasn't bad last night at all, if the support players timed their runs to perfection they would have been away untouched.

You guys are tempting fate changing a winning side.

Eels Dude

Coach
Robson is solid, a strong leader who is great id defence. Throwing KK straight back into the halfback role would be very risky IMO. There's an old saying that goes, "If it aint broke, don't fix it".

Eelementary

Post Whore
I agree that the change is unlikely. As we have seen with Mateo, the coach may be unwilling to change a winning combination but I feel it would be the best move.

As well as being the better player, Keating also has alot more versatility than Robson as he can play well at multiple positions.

Debatable. Robson could easily slot in at hooker, 5/8 or lock.

mickybolg

Juniors
we cannot change a team that has won 6 in a row,we have 3 ball players in robson,morts and hayne,no need for KK unless injuries occur....

Latest posts