What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hame Sele

possm

Coach
Sele, Kerr and Lawrie our three young props. How long do you think these guys will take to be ready for first grade? Sele is already doing well coming off the bench and Kerr and Lawrie are looking really good playing for Illawarra.

watatank

Coach
Sele was not as hyped as the likes of Leilua and Host but he was doing a lot of the same things i.e. making junior rep teams, playing NSW Cup while eligible for U20s, re-signing with minimal fuss. He has clearly benefited from being under the radar, good to see him play well.

Rocket Rod

Juniors
We have great depth and talent in the forwards which will keep us competitive all year. It's the backs which is the worry, a lot of good first graders but no real matchwinners ( excluding Widdop in his current form )
Field and Dufty are the future but ATM they look like young kids against the men. Both are so slight in build so they may take a little longer to mature.

possm

Coach
We have great depth and talent in the forwards which will keep us competitive all year. It's the backs which is the worry, a lot of good first graders but no real matchwinners ( excluding Widdop in his current form )
Field and Dufty are the future but ATM they look like young kids against the men. Both are so slight in build so they may take a little longer to mature.
Much of our forward power was derived from the combination of Vaughan and Packer. We cannot hope for our forwards to perform at this level without replacing Packer with a hard nosed prop. We do not have such a prop in-house right now and I would hate to see us waste another year or two rebuilding.

Hunt and Widdop need a forward pack such as we have now to weave their magic. Approximately 2m of cap space has been invested in next years halves combination and so to trip up on the Packer deal and then not replace him with a prop with similar ability would be a grave mistake - another Millward mistake.

What a mess.

possm

Coach
The more I watch Sele the more you think we are in good shape if Packer leaves.
I feel that Sele is a great up and coming junior who is in his initial stage of first grade development - and doing well. However, he is nowhere near the calibre of Packer.

It is great seeing the likes of Host, Hind, Kerr, Lawrie, Leilua and Sele coming through. If we can keep the best of them, we have a bright future for our forward pack. As far a a replacement for Packer, in my opinion there is no suitable replacement within the Club. I sincerely hope that Millward has identified recruitment opportunities for both Packer and Dugan as a plan B.

Replacements of key first graders should be like for like or better. In this way the rebuilding momentum is not stalled.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Sele, Kerr and Lawrie our three young props. How long do you think these guys will take to be ready for first grade? Sele is already doing well coming off the bench and Kerr and Lawrie are looking really good playing for Illawarra.

Possum
I think lowrie and kerr are going well.
I think they will get a run during soo.
I think kerr is very close and lowrie not that far behind.

mickeylane

Bench
Sele will move into Simms role and Simms to step up into starting spot..IMO could work

i rate Simms as a charging front rower he has agro in him and has pace as well - what he did in that Country game 2 weeks ago was amazing - 5 line breaks for a forward is unheard of...

Vaughan
Mciness
Simms
Frizzel
Thompson
JDB

Bench take your choice
LAM
Sele
Host
Lawrie
Luciano
Kerr

Young firebrand bench just the way u want it!! no plodders all young hot heads!

Sele will move into Simms role and Simms to step up into starting spot..IMO could work

i rate Simms as a charging front rower he has agro in him and has pace as well - what he did in that Country game 2 weeks ago was amazing - 5 line breaks for a forward is unheard of...

Vaughan
Mciness
Simms
Frizzel
Thompson
JDB

Bench take your choice
LAM
Sele
Host
Lawrie
Luciano
Kerr

Young firebrand bench just the way u want it!! no plodders all young hot heads!
I agree re Simms, but he isn't an international. Oh wait....Fiji?

Eastview

Juniors
To me he looks a bit small compared to other forwards so I don't think he will be able to cover the front row. (I have no stats to back this up, just what it looks like at the game and on TV so I could be very wrong haha)

cussy

Juniors
Kid has a big motor and confidence. Plays an up tempo game. Not scared to mix it up with the big guys. Will develop into a good player I reckon.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
To me he looks a bit small compared to other forwards so I don't think he will be able to cover the front row. (I have no stats to back this up, just what it looks like at the game and on TV so I could be very wrong haha)

Eastview is a bit small but has always played in the middle.
Usually in 13.
But he can play prop now problem.
But as micky has said sims will move to starter and sele of the bench.
He only young sele and will get match hardened.
I have seen him in the juniors and come though the 20's he never takes a backward step.
He hard and tough with great footwork.

Last edited:

BennyV

Referee
Fair enough. My point is, as is per my OP... Don't care how much 20's you've watched. Sele has had far less taste of 1st's than Host, yet is easily the better prospect... Host MAY come on. But this thread is merely a nod to Sele's performances on the field. Which imo, far exceed Host's.
Poor Host has been McGregored...the kid is an out-and-out edge backrowers, yet McMoron leaves him on the bench for 70-80 minutes a game, and when he does come on it's filling in at prop. Complete mess.

Sele, by comparison, has been handled perfectly. A full season and a half in NSW Cup and now being brought in off the bench in his proper position. And he's benefitting from that.

IMO he was always a standout whenever I saw him play NYC, more so than Host and Leilua. Partly because he used to rock a mean mullet, but he seemed to run and tackle that little bit harder than anyone else.