What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hame Sele

getsmarty

Immortal
1500x500-hame-sele-signs.jpg

CLUB NEWS

Panthers snare Sele from Dragons
Author
Panthers Media
Timestamp
Fri 23 Nov 2018, 02:16 PM

Penrith Panthers is delighted to announce the signing of former St George Illawarra Dragons forward Hame Sele ahead of the 2019 NRL season.

The 22-year-old has agreed to a one-year deal at Panthers, with an option for an additional year in the club's favour.

"It's exciting for me to start this new journey with Panthers, especially when you look at the facilities and the talented players at the club," Sele said.

"It's my goal to make the most of my opportunity here and to earn a place in the NRL team.

"I'll be doing everything I can to make that happen."

A former Australian Schoolboys representative, Sele made his NRL debut with the Dragons in 2017 and later that year was selected in the NSW City Origin side.

In 2018 Sele played only three NRL games but proved a consistent performer for the Dragons in the Intrust Super Premiership NSW competition.

"Hame Sele is a tremendous addition to our playing roster," Panthers Executive General Manager Phil Gould AM said.

"We consider ourselves very fortunate to have recruited such a talented forward at this stage of the season.

"Hame's style of play will complement our forward depth perfectly and coach Ivan Cleary is excited to have him at our club."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/11/23...t-george-illawarra-dragons-forward-hame-sele/

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
1500x500-hame-sele-signs.jpg

CLUB NEWS

Panthers snare Sele from Dragons
Author
Panthers Media
Timestamp
Fri 23 Nov 2018, 02:16 PM

Penrith Panthers is delighted to announce the signing of former St George Illawarra Dragons forward Hame Sele ahead of the 2019 NRL season.

The 22-year-old has agreed to a one-year deal at Panthers, with an option for an additional year in the club's favour.

"It's exciting for me to start this new journey with Panthers, especially when you look at the facilities and the talented players at the club," Sele said.

"It's my goal to make the most of my opportunity here and to earn a place in the NRL team.

"I'll be doing everything I can to make that happen."

A former Australian Schoolboys representative, Sele made his NRL debut with the Dragons in 2017 and later that year was selected in the NSW City Origin side.

In 2018 Sele played only three NRL games but proved a consistent performer for the Dragons in the Intrust Super Premiership NSW competition.

"Hame Sele is a tremendous addition to our playing roster," Panthers Executive General Manager Phil Gould AM said.

"We consider ourselves very fortunate to have recruited such a talented forward at this stage of the season.

"Hame's style of play will complement our forward depth perfectly and coach Ivan Cleary is excited to have him at our club."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/11/23...t-george-illawarra-dragons-forward-hame-sele/

Our loss, Panthers’ gain.

Stupid McGregor.

Wittenberg

Juniors
Yes host is still with us
To me this has to be Host's last year with us if he can't deliver. Yes injuries have held him back but for all the talk of his potential he has never threatened to be any more than a fringe bench player. Maybe I'm being harsh and I hope he proves me wrong, but I just don't see anything more than a plodder. Although I will admit that we all have individual bias about certain players and fail to see the positive with them I would have kept Sele before him. Perhaps I 'm just too negative when judging Host....as I said, I hope he proves me wrong.

denis preston

First Grade
To me this has to be Host's last year with us if he can't deliver. Yes injuries have held him back but for all the talk of his potential he has never threatened to be any more than a fringe bench player. Maybe I'm being harsh and I hope he proves me wrong, but I just don't see anything more than a plodder. Although I will admit that we all have individual bias about certain players and fail to see the positive with them I would have kept Sele before him. Perhaps I 'm just too negative when judging Host....as I said, I hope he proves me wrong.

Think perhaps you may be Witt but I do think apart from injuries last year he suffered from lack of opportunity from the coaching staff due to their selection at all costs of our representative back row. In saying that , like our other young pathways players, this season is pivotable for him to show us he deserves a new contract. It's up to him to show us some new strings to his bow. Now for Herme , he has got the Marketo disease , lack of size. The only thing that will revive his career is slashing of the interchange.

aquiin

Juniors
Host needs to be adaptable because we have three rep backrowers in front of him.

Apart from left, middle and right, he should be pushing to be the player than can also defend in the centres if need be.

dragonssamy61

First Grade

Wittenberg
I agree and I'm sure he would also agree that last year was poor.
Hopefully he remains fit and can get a run on the bench.
I agree its a big year for him.
Also lowrie and luc they must have big year if we are going to be competitive.
I think Host will go well.
But hard to break into our backrow.
With frizz, jdb and the simms boy as well as luc all pushing for top grade.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Host needs to be adaptable because we have three rep backrowers in front of him.

Apart from left, middle and right, he should be pushing to be the player than can also defend in the centres if need be.

Aquin
Well said hopefully he gets that chance

Old Timer

Coach
If Latimore gets the bench spot then Host is toast which would be very unfortunate.
To say last year was poor is incorrect IMO he was injured early on, then on the outer and finally got a call up and did his shoulder.
A young forward needs a few games in a row to settle in and Luc is testimony to that
Also if you honestly analyse the games Host has played neither Mc Crone nor Hunt have used him properly in attack
When he comes on for Frizz they want him to be Frizz and that he isn’t.
So the quicker the coach and the half work out how to utilise a hole runner then the better Host will look and the greater his contribution will be.

SBD82

Coach
If Latimore gets the bench spot then Host is toast which would be very unfortunate.
To say last year was poor is incorrect IMO he was injured early on, then on the outer and finally got a call up and did his shoulder.
A young forward needs a few games in a row to settle in and Luc is testimony to that
Also if you honestly analyse the games Host has played neither Mc Crone nor Hunt have used him properly in attack
When he comes on for Frizz they want him to be Frizz and that he isn’t.
So the quicker the coach and the half work out how to utilise a hole runner then the better Host will look and the greater his contribution will be.
For balance on the bench I don't think we can have both luc and host. Neither are legitimate middles and I would think that we'd already have Robson or Mann playing some time in the middle, which weakens us defensively.

In saying that, I think that Lawrie could potentially replace latimore. Or we will rotate through the middles to manage fatigue.

Ironically, latimore may be the solution to what you've long been advocating: giving injured players the time to overcome niggling injuries.

Old Timer

Coach
For balance on the bench I don't think we can have both luc and host. Neither are legitimate middles and I would think that we'd already have Robson or Mann playing some time in the middle, which weakens us defensively.

In saying that, I think that Lawrie could potentially replace latimore. Or we will rotate through the middles to manage fatigue.

Ironically, latimore may be the solution to what you've long been advocating: giving injured players the time to overcome niggling injuries.

Latimore is pl

If Latimore is the answer then hopefully 2020 comes quickly
He is honest & serviceable but slow and cumbersome and 1 year older.
No doubt this will be his last year so selecting him ahead of a player with many years in front of him and that we still don’t really know about is just dumb IMO
If Host is given a fair go and is playing poorly after 3 rounds then by all means off to reggies and out the door but let’s find out once & for all.
We have multiple options to fill the centre whilst Host can give Frizz some respite.

SBD82

Coach
Latimore is pl

If Latimore is the answer then hopefully 2020 comes quickly
He is honest & serviceable but slow and cumbersome and 1 year older.
No doubt this will be his last year so selecting him ahead of a player with many years in front of him and that we still don’t really know about is just dumb IMO
If Host is given a fair go and is playing poorly after 3 rounds then by all means off to reggies and out the door but let’s find out once & for all.
We have multiple options to fill the centre whilst Host can give Frizz some respite.
What does your bench look like?

As I said, I can't see us carrying both luc and host, although they may interchange through the season.

I would think this is the bench (assuming graham and Vaughan start)

14. Robson/Mann
15. Sims
16. Lawrie/latimore
17. Luc/host

Old Timer

Coach
What does your bench look like?

As I said, I can't see us carrying both luc and host, although they may interchange through the season.

I would think this is the bench (assuming graham and Vaughan start)

14. Robson/Mann
15. Sims
16. Lawrie/latimore
17. Luc/host
Luc, Host, Sims, Lawrie.
I wouldn’t run with a utility as having seen the results of that the over last 2 years it looks a dud theory to me under this coaching regime.
I have always subscribed to the theory that if Mann doesn’t run on at the start of the game then his next best position is reggies.